Forgotten by History

gmoney

2 hours ago, gmoney said:

In May 1992, Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine's Love Album went straight in at number 1 on the UK album chart.

I listened to 30 Something just the other week, Mrs Loki has it on vinyl.  Really good album.  So not entirely forgotten in my neck of the woods!

Not really what you are talking about, but people used to actually BUY singles when music came out, like go and buy a CD single, or a record.  Does anyone actually do that any more?  I don't even know if the charts are still going, and if they are I presume it's all done on streaming hits or something.

41 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Seawatch DSV

SeaQuest DSV.  A series I watched religiously, or so I thought, but it turns out halfway through the series they changed the whole thing into a scifi series and pushed the setting forward about 30 years.  I don't remember ANY of that.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Loki said:

I listened to 30 Something just the other week, Mrs Loki has it on vinyl.  Really good album.  So not entirely forgotten in my neck of the woods!

My brothers were both into them at the time, but I was a bit too young. I'm sort of fascinated by them rather than a fan, but they did a lot of imaginative and  decent stuff. They absolutely went overboard with the punning, which I reckon counted against them and put them in the novelty pile. I think their sound has dated badly, and they looked like cunts as well. They're in that post rave/baggy, pre britpop era of UK indie that is largely forgotten, probably because none of those bands had a champion in the music press. 

I went to a talk with the photographer Kevin Cummins when he released a book about his work with the Manics and he was saying he thought the bloke who took the "4REAL" photo of Richey should never have published it.  He went on about Steve Lamacq and how he hated the Manics, "But then he thought Carter were the best band in the world so he can fuck off" got a good laugh out of me.

1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

KLF fascinate the hell out of me. I guess they're a little forgotten by history because they deleted their own catalogue. 

I don't think KLF/ K Foundation and various other Drummond and Cauty projects have been forgotten. If only because music writers love to wax lyrical about how they subverted pop music. If you have read or read about the Manual they really nailed how to make a pop hit. It's things in it that still hold true today, most of The Black Eyed Peas big hits completely follow the books rules on song writing.

They're not very relevant with their music because they only really did singles and their albums are mostly terrible. They haven't released anything in 20 years, but they are a fascinating duo.

Chill Out is still heralded as one of the greatest ambient albums ever, I listen to it a few times every year and it never gets old.

Cauty's solo album Space is pretty damn good too.

Both guys have been doing KLF related things up in Liverpool the past couple of years, this year they're starting a pyramid of bricks with ashes of the dead. Adding more as people who bought a brick die.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, gmoney said:

@Astro Hollywood once pointed out that there were 14 series of London's Burning, yet no one alive could tell you what any of the characters were called or any storyline. 

I remember an awful lot about London’s Burning to my shame. It’s one of the tv shows my mum always had on when I was a kid. It was never ending new episodes and repeats of that and Soldier Soldier.

Without going into loads of boring details and storylines I’ll mention a couple of things. They had a Greek bloke nicknamed Zorba who was shagging his cousin. And I remember the big heavy promotional push of John Alfords cover of Smoke Gets In Your Eyes. A cover and music video that’s quite rightly forgotten by history. 

My uncle was an extra in an episode where his band was playing a gig when a fire broke out, naturally. My mum insisted she could see him in the background but no one else could. So either the scene was cut or he was chatting shit. 

Edited by TheBurningRed

15 hours ago, gmoney said:

@Astro Hollywood once pointed out that there were 14 series of London's Burning, yet no one alive could tell you what any of the characters were called or any storyline. 

Funny this should be discussed, I've been signed off work sick for a few weeks and for some reason decided to watch Londons burning from the beginning on the UKTV play app.

I'm now on the dire dirge that is season 14, awful theme tune and dreadful acting aplenty. The early series are actually pretty bloody good in my opinion.

Nicknames, Recall, Sicknote, Bayleaf, Technique, Clingfilm, Charisma, Liver Salts

The first black character was called Ethnic, there is plenty 'of the time' racism in the early series

Edited by The British Bushwacker

I met Cauty and Drummond about 10 years ago in Manchester. A talk and book signing at the Cornerhouse. They were promoting some sort of treasure search. I forget all the details, but they buried £100,000 cash in some isolated, desolate field in Iceland, or somewhere. Somehow they’d release clues, over successive months, as to it’s exact location, and anyone who worked out the location could go there, with pick axe and shovel, and dig up the trove. I don’t know if anyone actually snagged the 100K.