Good comedy films of the decade

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

I forgot about this Scottish film called Beats. Got lazily reviewed as a Trainspotting clone, but it's really good and very funny. I'm assuming it'll pop up on Netflix soon, well worth catching.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Did someone mention The Favourite yet? I don't think I've laughed more in a cinema then watching this.

That duck quack was the best piece of comic timing in years.

13 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Please tell me you wrote the wrong title. That is the one with Ricky Gervais not the actual decent one they made

Gervais is generally toxic, but if you can overlook your general dislike for him (as I did), it's bloody great. Bret from flight of the conchords did the songs and they're genius. 

• Paid Members

Yeah - I felt it was a little less fun than the previous film, because outside of the "We're Doing A Sequel" song and the gag about Walter's story being at the expense of long-standing characters it lacked the same constant state of self-awareness, and didn't have a villain nearly as strong as Tex Richman, but it's still a superb movie, even with Gervais in it. The songs are amazing, and I find myself singing the "Big House" tune to myself. "Goodnight, Danny Trejo" had me crying with laughter in the cinema, too.

• Paid Members

Gervais is the least of that film's problems. I loved The Muppets and was so excited to see the follow up, but I just remember walking out thinking how did they mess it up. The story wasn't as good, the celebs were not as good, it wasn't as funny and the song were not as good. Just felt like a blown opportunity and it killed of the franchise.

I am glad some of you like it, but it was a massive disappointment compared to the first,

• Awards Moderator
4 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Gervais is brilliant in it because he's cast as a massive annoying twat (i.e himself) and consequently plays it perfectly. 

Yes, but we have to watch him being a twat ie himself. We suffer. The film suffers. All is suffering. Therefore, I reiterate: Gus. No.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator