Good comedy films of the decade

Bellenda Carlisle

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

Did Popstar even get a theatrical release over here?  I ended up getting the bluray combo pack from the states and fortunately the bluray was region free.  A terrific film, especially for The Lonely Island lovers.

One of my oldest, dearest, friends recommended Grimsby.  Even though I was best man at his wedding, I very nearly didn't speak to him again for making me sit through that.

Quoted for truth.  Agreeing with @Hannibal Scorch  Most Wanted was such a let down for me after The Muppets.  It was always on the cards as The Muppets is essentially perfection, but it was just a far bigger drop off than I'd have imagined or liked.  I wouldn't even put MMW in my top 5 Muppet movies.

Popstar was out for about a week a couple of Augusts ago, but very much blink-and-you'll-miss-it in the cinemas.

I've blocked most of Most Wanted out of my head now. A huge disappointment after the joy of The Muppets. It showed you that, as great as the Muppets themselves were, having Jason Segel and Amy Adams there really helped the film. There was no anchoring, straight-man human character in Most Wanted and it showed you can't get by on funny ham-it-up cameos alone.

• Paid Members

@johnnyboy and @HarmonicGenerator have nailed my feelings on Muppets Most Wanted. We own it, but never re-watched it, even if it’s showing on TV. And I love Ty Burrell but he couldn’t save it. The director went on to make Alice Through The Looking Glass as well. Another awful follow up.

• Paid Members

Sadly, it's not aged so well because it's been heavily pinched from since, so doesn't seem as remarkable, but Guardians of the Galaxy was such a fresh and fun approach to the superhero genre when it came out. A lot of funny in it, but Big Dave absolutely steals the show as literal Drax.

In terms of laughs for the family, the two Paddington films are nearly impossible to beat.