RIP Harley Race

mim731

• Paid Members

Well this sucks

RIP King Harley, one of the all time greats. Although I wasn't alive or following wrestling during much of his glory days, I loved his work managing Vader in the early 90s. He just came across as a tough, rowdy bastard who could still knock you out with little more than a glance. Years later I watched his matches with Flair among others, and even his run in WWF which had a few fun moments, even if it was clear he was coming towards the end of his career. I also watched quite a number of his promos. He carried himself like the toughest man on the planet and could back it up in the ring. That gravel-soaked voice was immensely intimidating and made him seem so legitimate.

Truly will be missed, an absolute one of a kind performer.

Edited by mim731

• Awards Moderator

Aww that is a shitter. What a proper, old school wrestler, the type of which you'd move seats to avoid at a bar in case you pissed him off. 

I can't imagine Flair will ever stop crying when he hears. 

Edited by Onyx2

• Moderators

Gutted. A true great, and by all accounts teak tough. Ric Flair wouldn't be who he was if it wasn't for Handsome Harley. He always had a tremendous aura of legitimacy, even as a manager, and was a A+ promo. RIP.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

This is proper shit news. Always loved Harley. And in rewatching 1992/93 WCW over the last couple of months, he’s all over that as Vader’s manager and I’ve been reminded again how awesome he was in that role, let alone during his in ring prime. Even when he was saddled with shitehawks like Super Invader, The Colossal Kongs and fucking Yoshi Kwan, he made the best of it and still somehow brought a shred of legitimacy to those jabronis. 

And that voice! Such a distinctive, badass voice. Hearing him talk about his 7 world title reigns and “god’s green earth” was always a treat. The promos always had that intensity to them. 

And I could listen to Harley Race stories all day as well. 

He’s got to be one of the most universally respected wrestlers ever as well hasn’t he? I don’t recall hearing anyone really have anything bad to say about Harley in shoots and stuff. From Nash to Flair to Bret to the Roadwarriors and so on. Everyone seemed to like him. 

Really sad news. 

I met him two months ago and thanked him for all the great matches.

The Honky Tonk Man is not known for kind words towards his peers, but did describe Harley Race as the most versatile World Champion ever in one of his Shoot Interviews. Rich praise when you consider the talent on offer when choosing that accolade.

RIP Handsome Harley.

EIGHTY-FIVE MILES AN HOUR!

There's probably a million stories about him but I love how he'd only ever drive at 85 miles an hour when possible and often when not, someone tried to citizen's arrest him but got KO'd and knocked into a ditch in one punch.

RIP King.

• Paid Members

I love the AWA story with a young Curt Hennig where he tells Race he’s a huge inspiration and can’t wait to work with him.

“what’s your finish kid?”

”dropkick off the top Mr Race”

then he pauses, takes a big drag and goes “I’ll move”.

Tough bastard.