RIP Harley Race

mim731

Really sad news, I heard the recent Something To Wrestle Podcast this week and they mentioned that Harley was in a pretty bad way and the way they was talking it sounded like it was just a matter of time, sadly. 

As mentioned above, I loved his run with Vader and with Lex Luger in the early 90's. I recently watched a few of his matches with Ric Flair and they were something special.

• Paid Members

My lasting memory of him will be as Vader's manager in WCW. As if Vader wasn't scary enough he's got former 7 time world champion Harley Race in his corner as well. 

That match against Flair at the first Starrcade. What a contest. What a loss. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Is this the first 5 man Survivor Series team (including managers) to pass away?

EA6QdUGWkAAJ8Dh?format=png&name=small

Fucking hell that’s a sad picture to look at now. Up there with that Hart Foundation one from 1997 where Bret’s the only one still with us. 

The definition of the 'hard looking' bastard with an aura and authenticity that's so lacking in the last 15-20 years of wrestlers coming off the conveyor belt. 

I mean here's a guy who gets injured, needs a colostomy bag fitted and then returns wearing a singlet so he can cover it up and carry on!!!! - this was the 80s ffs when that surgery isn't as advanced as it is now.

He then takes a few months off and returns and still wrestles off and on for another 5 years. 

They don't make them like this anymore!! 

Sighed out loud when I read the thread title. One of the greats, just a legit looking hard as nails bastard with an aura about him. The conversation following that AEW picture that was posted in another thread where they're all suited and booted was "They don't look like wrestlers". Even in street clothes this looks like someone who fights for a living. Jesus, even in his green polo shirt he looks like your mates hard dad who throws people through pub windows. A sad loss.

home-02-480x480.jpg

de72aec5413fd9d4268a7703fb8c9674--harley-race-classic.jpg

• Paid Members

In his later years he’ll always be Phyllis from Corrie now for me, thanks to @John Matrix

These are great...

Harley Race the champ;

Race puts a bounty on Ric Flair. “KABUKI!”;

“No plastic”;

Race hyping up Vader;

And I just about shat myself at this one;

• Paid Members

@tiger_rick Yeah for me it’s not so much the words but the way he says them, the delivery and the voice. You look at both the top and bottom videos I posted there and he’s intense and scary whether he’s talking calmly or whether screaming and punching his own eye in.

Might be one for the unpopular opinions thread but I actually prefer Harley’s promos over Flair’s. Flair was good and provided the much more memorable quotes but I often found him too shouty whereas Race would usually quietly and calmly tell you how you’re going to get fucked up in his awesome gravelly voice. I’d say Dusty was better than both on the mic though. What a time though.