The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

3 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

Just that one segment alone wants me to see Hangman knock Bryan's head straight off, incredible stuff.

As much as I love Bryan Danielson I really hope they don't hotshot the belt onto him. Having Hangman being the first to defeat him will add another layer to his character I think.

I don't think they will, and I think they'll probably pivot back to Danielson as a babyface afterwards. Danielson is so good that he can shake Hangman's hand afterwards, say that he was simply wanting to be sure he faced the best version of Page, and he'd have the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand once again. I think, on balance, I like the potential heel opponents for Bryan far more than I do the babyface options.

• Awards Moderator

Add me to those who’d never seen Ishii before and came away not quite getting what the fuss is about. Butcher looked in fantastic shape though.

I wasn’t expecting heel Danielson so soon, but that was a lovely sudden turn. Will enjoy him cutting through the Dark Order until, I’m guessing, the first Dynamite on TBS to face Hangman.

Sammy had me convinced with that rib injury until I realised it was all happening during the commercial break. Jay Lethal did nothing especially impressive.

One thing I really enjoyed about this show, and possibly AEW generally recently, is that the crowd were reacting to all the matches, but the era of “every crowd reaction must be a chant” felt like it was a thing of the past on this episode. They cheered, booed, oohed and aahed but there were far fewer chants than you’d get on, say, an NXT show two or three years ago.

I thought it was a good show. Not blow away, but lots of fun and a good start to the next set of programs. I have to say, watching Jay Lethal in that main event doing his Flair impression with the figure-four made the whole thing worse. Oh, cool, I'm watching this creep imitate a much more famous creep. Fun.

Also: @Supremo: please tell me you haven't actually heard somewhere that Okada might come in to go against Matt Hardy? Please, no.

Someone on Reddit pointed out that the towns AEW is hitting over the next few weeks are all the home towns of Dark Order members. Colt in Chicago, 5 in Georgia, John Silver in Long Island. So it seems Danielson is going to be beating up Dark Order members in their home towns. Which, in another company, wouldn't matter since the hometown hero always gets beat. But in AEW, where its usually the opposite, it means something.

Edited by 69MeDon

New feuds and stories transition and flow so seamlessly following on from the PPV. Everything is new, fresh and makes sense.

Punk and Bryan really starting to show their worth now they've settled in.

The whole roster is just packed with talent. I've got a lot of time for The Acclaimed as a team, they look great and are entertaining as hell. Also interesting where the Dante Martin story goes. A feud with Ricky Starks would be fantastic, I think it's a tad too early for a heel turn.

Ah I didn’t catch that! I recall about a month or so out from Punk’s debut MJF dropped a pipebomb line into a promo. “As you lay there hopefully in as much pain as you possibly can be…” if I remember right.

Has there been any word on if AEW have actively discouraged talent from ripping on Punk for shitting the bed in UFC? Seems the type of thing MJF would usually go straight for, but they might feel it takes some shine off what is essentially their biggest drawing card.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I'm not really enjoying The Lucha Bros at the moment. There's something missing from their act, and I'm not sure what it is.

It's because outside of their connection as brothers they don't really gel together as a tag team. They bring out eachothers worst qualities and are natural singles competitors put in a tag team. Fenix is a top notch sympathetic babyface who is amazing as selling and fiery, fast paced comebacks. Penta is a brilliant charismatic heel who is great at brawling ,nasty offence and being a massive wonderful prick. Together they don't really get a chance to show off their best qualities, and especially in Penta's case he tries to wrestle a fast paced style which doesn't suit him as he doesn't have the speed, smoothness or natural ability of Fenix. Penta should be choking people with cables and kicking them in the face, not doing lucha spots. The sooner they drop the titles and split up the better for everyone.

14 hours ago, 69MeDon said:

Someone on Reddit pointed out that the towns AEW is hitting over the next few weeks are all the home towns of Dark Order members. Colt in Chicago, 5 in Georgia, John Silver in Long Island. So it seems Danielson is going to be beating up Dark Order members in their home towns. Which, in another company, wouldn't matter since the hometown hero always gets beat. But in AEW, where its usually the opposite, it means something.

Danielson vs. John Silver is a match I really want to see, it should be bags of fun (...up until Danielson viciously destroys him at the end of the match)