FSM Magazine closing down after next issue :-(

Maikeru

I absolutely adored Power Slam back in the day but yeah the overall design was pretty shit for the most part. It was fine for what it was (the fanzine comparison is a good one) and the fact it barely ever changed gave it a comforting sense of familiarity, but it was barely hitting minimum standards in a lot of ways. The photo selections were especially terrible at times. I vividly remember a Kane photo on the cover where he's sat at an autograph table with a pen in his hand looking like some sort of tribute act. It was never a big thing to me though - I fully recognised they must have been working with pretty limited budgets and resources. It never affected my enjoyment. 

• Paid Members

PS didn't look that bad. It was very simple in it's style and never really deviated but it was far superior to the rest of the non-WWF mags you'd find in the 90s and the content was miles ahead of FSM which was, with a few exceptions, style over substance. 

I was gutted to finally give up buying PS after what must have been 12-13 years of regularly reading but I just couldn't stomach Fin's dominating opinion anymore. His failure to recognise what is popular and why and being incapable of accepting that things he doesn't think are perfect work for others just irritated me along with his ridiculous nicknames for things. 

2 hours ago, CTXRussomark said:

I absolutely adored Power Slam back in the day but yeah the overall design was pretty shit for the most part. It was fine for what it was (the fanzine comparison is a good one) and the fact it barely ever changed gave it a comforting sense of familiarity, but it was barely hitting minimum standards in a lot of ways. The photo selections were especially terrible at times. I vividly remember a Kane photo on the cover where he's sat at an autograph table with a pen in his hand looking like some sort of tribute act. It was never a big thing to me though - I fully recognised they must have been working with pretty limited budgets and resources. It never affected my enjoyment. 

MAGAZINE-Power-Slam-The-Wrestling-Magazi

Fin's hatred of Cena was ridiculous and counterproductive. Like it or not, the potential buyers of a wrestling magazine that's sold in WH Smith are mostly kids who watch WWE and for a supposed mainstream magazine to spend so much time slating Cena and the WWE product was utter madness. The people buying the magazine and reading it are either going to think you're wrong and stop buying the magazine as a result, or think you're right, realise WWE had become shit, stop watching it, and stop buying the magazine as a result. 

I personally loved Powerslam and brought it every month from issue 4 up to the last two years of it's publication (although I did buy the last issue). The look of the magazine hardly changed, which for me was not an issue. However, I think the magazine suffered from lack of other writers in the end, causing most readers to become fed up of Fin's moaning about WWE, John Cena etc. I realise the lack of writers was probably due to budget limitations, but given Fin's health issues as documented in the first eBook, I am surprised that more writers were not used. 

Another issue due to the above is that because the same person was editing the magazine issue after issue it become stale. Look at most credit sections in magazines, editors, staff writers change on a frequent basis which freshens up the writing style, view standpoints etc. without having to redsign the magazine. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

Fin's hatred of Cena was ridiculous and counterproductive. Like it or not, the potential buyers of a wrestling magazine that's sold in WH Smith are mostly kids who watch WWE and for a supposed mainstream magazine to spend so much time slating Cena and the WWE product was utter madness. The people buying the magazine and reading it are either going to think you're wrong and stop buying the magazine as a result, or think you're right, realise WWE had become shit, stop watching it, and stop buying the magazine as a result. 

Or they'll think, "Huh, this WWE stuff really isn't for me then", look at the photos and features on other promotions in that same magazine and order tapes of those same promotions from distributers and traders who advertised in that same magazine? Wild stuff, I know.