FSM Magazine closing down after next issue :-(

Maikeru

33 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Surely it can't look worse than Powerslam? 

I thought WTM looked quite a lot worse than Powerslam. Just a poor imitation of a nice wrestling magazine.

Like i previously said, the articles in WTM maybe well written and interesting. If i can find a way of enlarging the print in a very well lit room and plow through the pages and pages of dialogue, then maybe it would be rewarding to read?

19 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

Powerslam didn't have the aesthetic that FSM did. Sure it was glossy but the lay out and the small lettering didn't help. FSM was a massive improvement on Powerslam by a huge margin. Plus it was tiny thin. 

Didn't read Fighting Spirit myself. For all the moans I've heard about Powerslam (almost entirely disagreements over a certain wrestlers ability) everyone seemed to think it was a much better structured and well put together mag than anything else out there. I for one really liked the format, pics, content, everything really. 

• Paid Members

Powerslam would have been a really good magazine if it didn't have an absolute herbert running it. It was well laid out and had some good features but Fin Martin is the Michael Owen of wrestling journalism, and that was always its overriding problem.

15 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Powerslam would have been a really good magazine if it didn't have an absolute herbert running it. It was well laid out and had some good features but Fin Martin is the Michael Owen of wrestling journalism, and that was always its overriding problem.

Nonsense. I read and enjoyed Powerslam for something like 20 years, and the ebooks too. Fin was in charge of that magazine for the entirety, so any praise for it should, at least somewhat, go his way. To suggest it was good despite him is silly talk, Gladders.

Also, when you consider some of the brain dead involved so called "wrestling journalism" there's much better candidates for the Michael Owen award. Fin's one of the best ever. If only people could get over the fact he didn't rate their favourite wrestler. 

Edited by LEGIT

6 minutes ago, gmoney said:

The graphic design was done in the mid 90s and never changed, aside from the colour every few years. For all it was a decent read, it looked like shit. 

What do you mean by graphic design and how did it never change? And Powerslam definitely never looked like shit 

• Paid Members

I’m guessing they mean Powerslam’s asthetic never really changed: the font, layout, etc.

That being said, I much preferred it to FSM, which looked like a class assignment with the mish-mash of colour, fonts, layout, etc going on. Powerslam looked simple, but it did the job.

4 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

I’m guessing they mean Powerslam’s asthetic never really changed: the font, layout, etc.

That being said, I much preferred it to FSM, which looked like a class assignment with the mish-mash of colour, fonts, layout, etc going on. Powerslam looked simple, but it did the job.

Well that's what I'm guessing. The layout of the front and opening pages changed little, but were tweaked and modernised now and again. It never looked anything but professional and clear in my opinion.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LEGIT said:

Nonsense. I read and enjoyed Powerslam for something like 20 years, and the ebooks too. Fin was in charge of that magazine for the entirety, so any praise for it should, at least somewhat, go his way. To suggest it was good despite him is silly talk, Gladders.

Also, when you consider some of the brain dead involved so called "wrestling journalism" there's much better candidates for the Michael Owen award. Fin's one of the best ever. If only people could get over the fact he didn't rate their favourite wrestler. 

This is why I never used to bother trying to converse with you on any reasonable level. It's because if somebody disagrees with you, you have to condescend a response and you always throw in the name at the end of a sentence or paragraph to put an exclamation point on it, LEGIT. I know you'll want to have the last word so by all means go ahead.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

4 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

you have to condescend a response and you always throw in the name at the end of a sentence or paragraph to put an exclamation point on it, LEGIT. I know you'll want to have the last word so by all means go ahead.

Love you, Gladders ♥ 

Edited by LEGIT

12 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

PowerSlam did look shit, like a crude fanzine. Always looked somewhat out of place alongside the slick and glossy magazines for other sports on the shelves at WH Smiths.

Wow I've never thought of it like that. I'm off to buy my Angling Times magazine. Nothing like the slick and glossy mags that jump off the shelves of WH Smiths at me

Edited by LEGIT

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

Wow I've never thought of it like that. I'm off to buy my Angling Times magazine. Nothing like the slick and glossy mags that jump off the shelves of WH Smiths at me

Sorry, did you layout the magazine? The weirdly personal way you have seemed to react to the criticism of it, and you not knowing what graphic design is has tipped me off. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, gmoney said:

The graphic design was done in the mid 90s and never changed, aside from the colour every few years. For all it was a decent read, it looked like shit. 

It barley changed it's visual aesthetic from the Superstar's of Wrestling that proceed it. 

2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Fin Martin is the Michael Owen of wrestling journalism

Sgt. (S)laughter 

I liked powerslam, I used to love reading it but sadly my interest wained despite me being one of those clinging to physical media. I'd get FSM off the market when a bloke would sell unsold copies cheap but even at 3 mags for a pound it felt the expensive one I'd pick up off him.

I assume WT is related to that shit TV show and that bellend Alex Shane?

2 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Sorry, did you layout the magazine? The weirdly personal way you have seemed to react to the criticism of it, and you not knowing what graphic design is has tipped me off. 

No I didn't lay out the magazine. Nor do I take it personally. 

But being truthful I am quite loyal to a mag I read and enjoyed for 20 odd years. And I did find it far superior to any other wrestling mag I bought. Some others in the 90s and 2000s were terrible. I understand people not liking the written content, because that's wrestling for you and we all have our own strong opinions. But the actual layout and presentation of the mag? I personally think it was undeniably better than any other.

And me asking what u specifically meant by graphic design has "tipped you off"? Most sincerest of apologies, I just wanted to know the specifics of what u didn't like. 

I'm not gonna full on argue though with anyone who's got Sweeps family as an avatar. That's against my beliefs.