FSM Magazine closing down after next issue :-(

Maikeru

This is a real shame. When I first became a fan (1989/1990) wrestling magazines were where I got my education on the history and current news. We didn't have Sky so other than borrowing video tapes off my mates of the latest PPVs I kept upto date (well slightly out of date!) through the mags. Ever since then I've always kept buying wrestling magazines.

With this sad news I make it only PWI and the WWE kids mag still on newsagents shelves. I know there's still Wrestletalk and a couple of fanzines still going, but incredibly sad to see after all the different publications there used to be.

Sad news. I have collected wrestling magazines for donkeys years (i reckon i might have 5,000) including every single issue of Superstars of Wrestling/Powerslam/FSM and this really does feel like the end of an era.

What i love about magazines is that they will never become obsolete in the sense that no matter what direction technology takes, people will always be able to read. So i will continue to cherish my magazines (some of the American magazines from the mid-1970's to the early 1980's are of the highest quality, like Wrestling News & Ringsport Wrestling).

I wonder if any UKFFer's out there think that the end of wrestling publications will in time increase the value of wrestling magazines or will they just depreciate and become an unwanted thing of the past?

How many wrestling magazines are still in print? PWI is still going I think. Is that it? For the English speaking world at least, I know Japan and Mexico have magazines.

FSM was a decent enough magazine, I liked that they gave recognition to the WOS days with John Listers articles etc. Powerslam always completely ignored the glory days of British wrestling. Jim Cornette's articles were always a good read too.

I know Lister's articles have been collected in book form, it'd be nice to have some of the other WOS columns and articles collated in this way. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

How many wrestling magazines are still in print? PWI is still going I think. Is that it? For the English speaking world at least, I know Japan and Mexico have magazines.

I run SteelChair Magazine which is in print. On our 24th issue and have had @Liam O'Rourke and @Linus's work feature from the beginning. 

In print: http://SteelChairMag.bigcartel.com

Back catalogue all online: http://issuu.com/SteelChair

Not all that surprising, If Fin Martin couldn't continue doing up his house from the proceeds of Power Slam, nothing else had a chance. Mad to think how many wrestling mags I use to spunk my money away on. Raw & WWE magazine, WOW magazine, WCW Magazine, Power Slam, the individual occasional WWE star mags like The Rock, Triple H & Taker ones, as well as the unlicensed cheap poster mags that used to pop up back when wrestling was hot.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, DCW said:

Not all that surprising, If Fin Martin couldn't continue doing up his house from the proceeds of Power Slam, nothing else had a chance. Mad to think how many wrestling mags I use to spunk my money away on. Raw & WWE magazine, WOW magazine, WCW Magazine, Power Slam, the individual occasional WWE star mags like The Rock, Triple H & Taker ones, as well as the unlicensed cheap poster mags that used to pop up back when wrestling was hot.

Yes, I remember how great it was in 1999-2000, going to the local newsagents and the sheer volume of magazines you could get.  If you went to somewhere like WHSmith you could also get the imported American magazines, with their 5 month out of date, kayfabe coverage. 

17 minutes ago, bbabba said:

Yes, I remember how great it was in 1999-2000, going to the local newsagents and the sheer volume of magazines you could get.  If you went to somewhere like WHSmith you could also get the imported American magazines, with their 5 month out of date, kayfabe coverage. 

You can still get PWI in some of the bigger WH Smiths. 

• 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, rihan007 said:

Just got a letter as I'm a FSM subscriber with an option to move remaining issues to WrestleTalk magazine, any views if its a worthy substitute?

Well i have considered FSM to be a very good magazine for years now & anything associated with Wrestle Talk to be total shite!

I will let the remainder of my FSM subscription roll on, hope for the best & fear the worst. At least when it all turns to shit, i can once again slag off Alex "Emperor Ming" Shane for delivering yet another substandard product.