All Tories Are Cunts thread

Devon Malcolm

12 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

This all feels very much like his own party have their knives out, but I just fundamentally don't believe that it will have any lasting impact. 

Sunak nodding he should go was telling I thought 

• Paid Members

Sunak's the anointed successor, so I don't blame him.

Johnson going would be disastrous for Labour, or any other opposition party. Aided by the press, the Tories are expert at convincing people that a change of leadership is a whole new government - that's why they can be in power for over a decade, and Johnson not be held accountable for the failures of May or Cameron, while Labour are expected to answer for the failings of Corbyn, Blair, and the winter of discontent.

If Johnson falls because of this, it will be treated as done and dusted, and the new leader won't be held accountable for any of it. If you're Keir Starmer, already behind in the polls, a non-entity, and lacking any grassroots support whatsoever, you should want Johnson to remain in post until election day, his authority gradually diminishing until then, so you can actually hold him to account for any of this. If the election comes down to Starmer vs. Sunak, Labour are in for a right shock.

• Paid Members

Yep. We saw the same with Major and Thatcher. This is a right-wing country, sadly, and they want any excuse to vote Tory. They will always forgive ten times worse in the Tories that they wouldn't forgive at all in Labour (or any left or centre party).

• Paid Members

If he's not damaged goods though (and he damn well should be, but I've thought that before), Johnson is concerningly effective at elections. I won't pretend I understand it, but it's still enough to worry me about a Johnson vs Starmer election. I don't see any of the rest of that lot having the same reach. Sunak maybe, but tory voters will have to put aside their own racism, which they're rarely good at.

2 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

You’re just all bitching because you didn’t get invited. Brilliant night, Bozza did his man/woman/bulldog routine.  Brought the house down.

I hear things got a bit raucous and some bloke with messy white hair got a bit enthusiastic under the mistletoe 

ric-flair-commitment-ceremony

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Sunak's the anointed successor, so I don't blame him.

If the election comes down to Starmer vs. Sunak, Labour are in for a right shock.

57 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Sunak maybe, but tory voters will have to put aside their own racism, which they're rarely good at.

Well this is what I have been thinking recently. Brexit has completely changed the face of domestic politics to something that resembles tribal football supporters. The Tories have gained a lot of supporters over the past several years as a result of this, and I genuinely think that having Sunak as leader could potentially split many of these voters that would not want somebody brown-skinned running this country. I mean, just look at the vitriol aimed at Sadiq Khan on a regular basis from right wing supporters- it's FAR worse than anything I see aimed at Labour MPs. And why is that?

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I dunno. I get the feeling that they'd be more accepting of a rich hindu conservative who knows his place than the upstart working class Muslim.

Yep. Even the BNP liked wheeling out that elderly Sikh supporter to show how racist they weren't.

Basically, as long as they're not Muslim, they've got a good chance. They love Patel because of how horrible she is to foreigners. Baroness Warsi, on the other hand, would've had no chance if she was still an MP. And I suspect the primary reason Javid so publicly made a big deal of him being an ex-Muslim was because he wanted the chance to run for leadership one day.

Sunak leaked the footage. Cummings knows where the bodies are buried and would stick the knife into Johnson after he got booted from his job (which incidentally happened on the day there was an alleged party in the evening). Cummings is married to Mary Wakefield, the commissioning editor at The Spectator. Her colleague is Political Editor James Forsyth, who is married to Allegra Stratton, who has now resigned over her role in the leaked video from her Press Secretary job. She previously was communications director for Sunak. Sunak was Forsyths best man. 

ALL THE PIECES FIT SHEEPLE. WAKE UP!!!!!

3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Yep. We saw the same with Major and Thatcher. This is a right-wing country, sadly, and they want any excuse to vote Tory. They will always forgive ten times worse in the Tories that they wouldn't forgive at all in Labour (or any left or centre party).

I'm in Scotland, which is typically more left-wing, meaning that the general political leanings of the English public are less visible to me. However, even with that caveat, I'm not sure I agree. First-Past-the-Post helps the Tories, and hugely affects a split vote on the left. On the whole, more people voted against the Tories than voted for them. 

One of the main advantages the Conservatives have on top of that, and it's illustrated perfectly today, is a friendly media. If Labour screw up, the left-leaning papers and outlets criticise them. If the Tories screw up, the right-wing press often completely ignore the story. Look at The Sun, The Times and The Telegraph today - you wouldn't know that the biggest story in British politics was even happening from their front pages. 

It means crises that unfold for Labour typically feel bigger than crises that face the Tories, as everyone ends up attacking them. And where the papers lead, the broadcast press often follows. If it feels like a story isn't cutting through to the tabloids, disappointingly, the likes of Laura K and Peston tend to ignore it. 

In short, the playing field is far from level. I don't think it's about the public wanting an excuse to vote Tory, it's about Tory-friendly media owners looking to give them a reason to. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I'm in Scotland, which is typically more left-wing, meaning that the general political leanings of the English public are less visible to me. However, even with that caveat, I'm not sure I agree. First-Past-the-Post helps the Tories, and hugely affects a split vote on the left. On the whole, more people voted against the Tories than voted for them. 

One of the main advantages the Conservatives have on top of that, and it's illustrated perfectly today, is a friendly media. If Labour screw up, the left-leaning papers and outlets criticise them. If the Tories screw up, the right-wing press often completely ignore the story. Look at The Sun, The Times and The Telegraph today - you wouldn't know that the biggest story in British politics was even happening from their front pages. 

It means crises that unfold for Labour typically feel bigger than crises that face the Tories, as everyone ends up attacking them. And where the papers lead, the broadcast press often follows. If it feels like a story isn't cutting through to the tabloids, disappointingly, the likes of Laura K and Peston tend to ignore it. 

In short, the playing field is far from level. I don't think it's about the public wanting an excuse to vote Tory, it's about Tory-friendly media owners looking to give them a reason to. 

I don't disagree with you at all as to the nature of the bias, although I would disagree as to the overall proportion of it. Just looking at the entirety of the period of history during which Labour first became a party of government, i.e. since the 1920s, there have been half as many Labour PMs as there have Tory ones, and in total Labour administrations have governed for half the time in total. Whilst the media in the modern day would certainly account for a huge chunk of this, I don't know if the media back then might have done quite the same. Certainly, its presence was fairly monolithic to those that read the papers, but not everybody read them.

There's also a potential argument that it's a self-feeding cycle: the media panders to the prejudices of the public, who respond to the media's messages.

That said, in the modern day, certainly the media's influence is a deciding factor, despite their claims to the contrary, and the FPTP system has long been an issue - the Tories wouldn't have given us that banjaxed, half-arsed referendum on AV if they didn't think PR would affect them fundamentally.