Things that you know will be shit

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Fawlty Towers was fantastic And didn't out stay its welcome with only 12 classics

Honestly it's a show I've enjoyed less as I've got older and revisited it as an overall package. There are fantastic episodes but a few hardly raise a smile, the peaks are great but I wouldn't say it's got 12 classics in it, it's got its shit which is dragged by because the good is so good. 

1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

Wasn't Basil always a bit of a cunt though, as a point people generally forget. He wasn't written as a likable character, he was snobby, elitist, jealous, occasionally lecherous and stupid and that generally led into the comedy set up of the episode. 

You’re absolutely right, but what I’m saying is given what we know now about Cleese being an out of touch, irrelevant relic feeling like he’s being hard done by by the libs for how some of his material has aged, I bet any number of us could submit a script of “anti woke” drivel that probably won’t be too far away from the finished product.

Of course, I could be completely wrong about that due to Rob Reiner’s involvement, as he’s quite liberal. He’s apparently on as an Executive Producer, but if he’s involved in the writing too then he can put the kibosh on any of Cleese’s “bloody wokies!” nonsense. If anything this is as relevant to the “Comedy & Offense” thread as it is to this one.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

from the BBC article about it

The new series will see actor Rob Reiner, his wife and actress Michelle Reiner, director and producer Matthew George and Derrick Rossi all act as executive producers.

Let's just ignore the 40 years of quality film making from Reiner because he used to be in All In The Family

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

PROBABLY BLOODY MANUELA IN THESE WOKE TIMES GUS!!! FEWMING.

And they'll make the Major a doris and all. Health and safety gone mad.

"Fawlty, what was the USWNT score last night? Rapinoe score again?" - fucking disgusting.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

You’re absolutely right, but what I’m saying is given what we know now about Cleese being an out of touch, irrelevant relic feeling like he’s being hard done by by the libs for how some of his material has aged, I bet any number of us could submit a script of “anti woke” drivel that probably won’t be too far away from the finished product.

That's what I was thinking - given Cleese's current delusional state, and given the tendency of continuations and reboots years or decades after their first run to be mostly shit (primarily because the creators tend to have lost sight of what made the original offerings popular, and instead focus purely on style or nostalgia), I wouldn't be surprised to see any Fawlty Towers reboot nothing more than Cleese attempting to weaponise a well-loved franchise into some humourless, extended axe-grind against the woke, and having practically none of the charm of, or anything in common with, the original.

Basically, I expect John Cleese's rebooting of Basil Fawlty to be an Al Murray in reverse.

Edited by Carbomb