Things that you know will be shit

Gus Mears

8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

There is a team on this year who are the most annoying cunts ever on the show, and that takes some doing. Their semi final was on tonight, I really hope they lost. 

I know EXACTLY what team you mean. Incredibly the one that annoys me the most out of them is probably the one that seems the least annoying!

Passive aggressive shitbags.

ALL FACKING STRIGIFORMES AIN'T WE!!!???

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

There is a team on this year who are the most annoying cunts ever on the show, and that takes some doing. Their semi final was on tonight, I really hope they lost. 

My partner does loads of quizzes and knows most of the cunts that end up on only connect. Which ones are the mega cunts? I'll see if she's got any gossip. 

• Paid Members

That was an incredibly one sided semi final. I don't think I've seen one like that. I get why somebody would dislike the team in question. 

2 hours ago, gmoney said:

My partner does loads of quizzes and knows most of the cunts that end up on only connect. Which ones are the mega cunts? I'll see if she's got any gossip. 

They’re “The Crustaceans”. They’re excellent quizzers and workshop ideas about what the connection could be, such as naming facts about a clue to see if any corresponding clues will match. It’s everything in between questions that’s annoying. 

The captain is a right performing bollocks, doing over the top campy gestures when asking for a hieroglyph, such as a “Rawr” paw for lion, devil horns for horned viper. The captain is married to a team mate and they seem to do over the top gestures at the connecting wall like they’re in the video for Vogue. This is Only Connect, lads, we expect our contestants to be awkward hard drive nonces, not confident flamboyant nonces

The non demonstrative team member seems to be the one who perplexes viewers the most. He’s a typical reserved OC contestant but he only goes by a singular name. He’s used his surname in the London quiz league but he just goes by Dennis here. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

They’re “The Crustaceans”. They’re excellent quizzers and workshop ideas about what the connection could be, such as naming facts about a clue to see if any corresponding clues will match. It’s everything in between questions that’s annoying. 

The captain is a right performing bollocks, doing over the top campy gestures when asking for a hieroglyph, such as a “Rawr” paw for lion, devil horns for horned viper. The captain is married to a team mate and they seem to do over the top gestures at the connecting wall like they’re in the video for Vogue. This is Only Connect, lads, we expect our contestants to be awkward hard drive nonces, not confident flamboyant nonces

The non demonstrative team member seems to be the one who perplexes viewers the most. He’s a typical reserved OC contestant but he only goes by a singular name. He’s used his surname in the London quiz league but he just goes by Dennis here. 

She does know them, but not well so I don't have anything to add other than, I agree, I want contestants to be shitting themselves under the hot studio lights, not trying to to pop the camera operators. 

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

All three are University Challenge alumni, with all three captaining their respective Universities, so some serious quiz pedigree.

Dennis went by his full name on UC, Cugini went by a different first name on that show and Harwicke wasn't wearing makeup and dresses either.

Spoiler

I didn't think the team were that bad in the previous round, possibly because they knew they were in a contest, but last night's episode was over after the first round which meant Hardwick was back to his OTT, campy, theatrical self.  Sadly I can't see them being beaten.

Edited by Magnum Milano

Spoiler

15 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

ALL FACKING STRIGIFORMES AIN'T WE!!!???

I'll share my short OC journey.

Applied twice in two years. Got through to the online audition stage twice. First year did incredibly well but wasn't picked. Fair enough. 

This time around the questions were ALL from the semis and the upcoming final, which were a level above.

We bombed quite frankly. But the ones we did get right are ones that the teams on the show have failed to get or got on the same clue that we did. So that is incredibly frustrating obviously. 

The one thing I will say is that there is zero opportunity for the producers to really get to know you on the online auditions or really see how you get on as a team/know each other etc so it's no wonder the REALLY flamboyant people get on (nothing wrong with that of course, it's a TV show) as along with being excellent quizzers, they are all a bit...entertaining?

We are 3 relatively 'normal/unremarkable' guys who just happen to know each other through a job we all did, so we've consoled ourselves with the fact that we were too "boring" for the show. Perhaps we were.

Next time I'm wearing a monocle or something. I'm never giving up.

Edited by SuperBacon

1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

We are 3 relatively 'normal/unremarkable' guys who just happen to know each other through a job we all did, so we've consoled ourselves with the fact that we were too "boring" for the show. Perhaps we were

Have you every watched the fucking show? It’s where boring people go to be on telly! That’s why flamboyance is frowned upon!

• Paid Members

sometimes it can be down to what connection your team has and so on; my Dad and brother once passed the auditions for Pointless, but were eventually told they wouldn't be using them because there were already a few father-son teams that series and they wanted more range. Obviously stuff like "characters" and how well you play off each other/the host is the main factor in quiz auditions, but sometimes it's not you so much as there's already other "yous" on the bill.

4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Have you every watched the fucking show? It’s where boring people go to be on telly! That’s why flamboyance is frowned upon!

Nah, there is boring and then there's unremarkable. 

Even the hard drive checking ones have facts like "Dave once commandeered a tank on a revival weekend and crashed it into a shop full of Rolos whilst reading Proust" 

What am I going to say? I have a lot of football shirts and watch loads of films? 

Edit: one of my teammates is amazed we haven't got on it. In his words "I think I've only ever seen one other Indian person on it" and he says he must surely tick the D&I box 🤣

Edited by SuperBacon

There’s been quite a few south Asian contestants, quite often they’re married to whitey and have a double barrel name. 

I think the UC connection goes a long way, it shows BBC experience, TV quizzing at the top level etc. I know someone who has been on both shows so maybe it’s the quiz show merry go round and not the game show merry go round. 

Regardless, Billy G wouldn’t have stood for the bullshit from the crustaceans, games gone lads. 

EDIT @Magnum MilanoNo worries, I had said I hadn’t watched it yet but it’s hardly a show you watch for a cliffhanger, I watch it to take part, as it were!

Edited by Keith Houchen

3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

There’s been quite a few south Asian contestants, quite often they’re married to whitey and have a double barrel name

Next time he's auditioning with his wedding sword.

Edit: this is quite fun to play along with. 

The early series were often insanely tough.

https://ocdb.cc/

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members

I'm not involved in all the quizzing circles that these shows tend to pull from, but after the aforementioned Pointless audition, they put my dad and brother forward for the first series of Five Gold Rings, and I was there as a lifeline in the audience. I have no idea if anyone ever watched this show. 

Anyway, we were one of the only teams to have never done any TV quiz work. Most of them had been on at least one show before, because if you've done it once you know the drill, it shows that you're going to be comfortable enough in front of TV cameras, and you're on all the mailing lists for whatever agencies they book people through. 

There's definitely an even more incestuous feedback loop between OC and UC, though.