Things that you know will be shit

Gus Mears

I always thought Fawlty Towers was supposed to be Cleese and Booth parodying old git bigots of the 70s. Did I read it wrong or has Cleese turned into what he was ripping the piss out of and forgotten what he was actually doing? Or did Connie Booth just write it?

Maybe producer's are doing this to pretty much take the piss out of Cleese but Cleese thinks he's sticking it to the "woke crowd". 

Edited by westlondonmist

Just now, westlondonmist said:

I always thought Fawlty Towers was supposed to be Cleese and Booth parodying old git bigots of the 70s. Did I read it wrong or has Cleese turned into what he was ripping the piss out of and forgotten what he was actually doing? 

Maybe producer's are doing this to pretty much take the piss out of Cleese but Cleese thinks he's sticking it to the "woke crowd". 

Yeah it was based on a real hotelier they thought was so ridiculous that everyone would laugh at how awful he is. 

Part of me thinks Cleese is milking the whole woke thing for all he can. He knows swathes of people will lap anything up if you bang on about establishment and woke and all that bollocks. And who better to front it than a man who used to say (and still says) all that stuff you can’t say anymore. 

It’s like when he rallied the troops a month or so ago when he asked why Monty Python hasn’t been shown on the BBC for years. It led to loads of “Woke establishment cancelling” replies when Cleese knows full well it’s because he sold the rights to Netflix. 

Marc Maron, who I believe isn’t a paragon of virtue, gave a blinding answer in an interview regarding “Anti Woke”

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

I always thought Fawlty Towers was supposed to be Cleese and Booth parodying old git bigots of the 70s. Did I read it wrong or has Cleese turned into what he was ripping the piss out of and forgotten what he was actually doing? Or did Connie Booth just write it?

It was originally Cleese taking the piss out of the really rude owner of the hotel they'd stayed at, but, given that he was relatively liberal back in the day, I reckon he's just turned into what he was mocking, the mad old bastard.

5 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

The most entertaining thing about this Fawlty Towers reboot is all the miserable old gits going mental about how this will upset the woke community but the only ones getting upset about anything is the old gits

That’s right wing comedy summed up. They don’t laugh at jokes or punchlines, they laugh at how much it will offend an imaginary person they’ve concocted in their weird head. 

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

For fuck's sake.

You know what, I figured from the still what it was going when I hit play. And it doesn’t look good. But Lord and Miller are involved and they have earned so much goodwill from me I’ll probably still see it.

Especially since I got pets of my own (three RSPCA cats and one bred Cavalier King Charles spaniel), animals being mistreated in films makes me really upset. Hell, I got blindingly angry at Wreck-It Ralph forcefeeding pancakes to that rabbit, FFS. This looks like a storm of low-bar trope writing, a trailer that spells out the entire plot (and why does every trailer have that Transformers bass BWAAAAH thump on every flare cut???), and animal cruelty. Dogs being mistreated. Dogs whoring themselves out. Dogs poisoning themselves on drugs. Dogs being horrible to other dogs. I get that it's framed as lolz, but not for me, Clive.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

. Dogs poisoning themselves on drugs. 

Pretty sure they aren't actually doing that. That said, if you got angry at the pancakes at Wreck it Ralph that must rule out a lot films with animals in. I'd avoid both versions of The Lion King as well.

3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Pretty sure they aren't actually doing that. That said, if you got angry at the pancakes at Wreck it Ralph that must rule out a lot films with animals in. I'd avoid both versions of The Lion King as well.

Yeah, I know it's a ridiculous, disproportionate reaction. Damn you, Marley & Me!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, CavemanLynn said:

Yeah, I know it's a ridiculous, disproportionate reaction. Damn you, Marley & Me!

TBF I never saw Marley and Me for that reason. I have watched family members die but I never cried more than when our dog got put down. The worst.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

On 2/8/2023 at 4:56 PM, Carbomb said:

but, given that he was relatively liberal back in the day, I reckon he's just turned into what he was mocking, the mad old bastard.

Isn't Cleese though still pretty Left wing? (or still basically a Lib Dem) He goes after the Tories and Murdoch etc quite a lot. He holds a sort of 'anti-PC' view now which I think just comes from being older and coming from a time where the Pythons were attempted to be censored. I think people overplay it a bit.

33 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Isn't Cleese though still pretty Left wing? (or still basically a Lib Dem) He goes after the Tories and Murdoch etc quite a lot. He holds a sort of 'anti-PC' view now which I think just comes from being older and coming from a time where the Pythons were attempted to be censored. I think people overplay it a bit.

I’d say being Lib Dem and hating tories doesn’t make you left wing. But I get your point in an ever increasingly binary political world. 

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Factotum said:

He's the one that overplays it, going on about offence and being cancelled.

Depends on your definition of "left wing". He's libertarian, but FREEZE PEACH isn't a defining factor by itself, as you can have libertarian left-wingers and right-wingers.