Things that you know will be shit

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, BigJag said:

Has anyone ever been to a wedding other than a Church/Christian affair? Say a Hindu/Sikh /Islamic wedding. I cringe when someone from another culture wants to tell me about a Sikh/Punjabi wedding, that they've attended.The only element they seem to remember is the reception/party. The actual wedding ceremony is almost ignored. Is it really that important for people to have a raucous disco? For want of a better word.

For those that may not know. Sikh/Punjabi weddings are somewhat famous for lavish, loud, receptions with copious amounts of alcohol. A facet that goes against the vows that have been taken literally hours before. 

I have only been to a Sikh, Muslim and Hindu receptions, never the ceremony. And the receptions I remember has having great food and a better atmosphere then most Christian weddings I’ve been to

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BigJag said:

Has anyone ever been to a wedding other than a Church/Christian affair? Say a Hindu/Sikh /Islamic wedding. I cringe when someone from another culture wants to tell me about a Sikh/Punjabi wedding, that they've attended.The only element they seem to remember is the reception/party. The actual wedding ceremony is almost ignored. Is it really that important for people to have a raucous disco? For want of a better word.

For those that may not know. Sikh/Punjabi weddings are somewhat famous for lavish, loud, receptions with copious amounts of alcohol. A facet that goes against the vows that have been taken literally hours before. 

I didn't go, but a Sikh guy at work showed me his wedding photos and his outfit was the best thing I've ever seen. He looked genuinely incredible. 

• Paid Members

I've only been to 2 weddings and disappeared to talk to locals in another bar at both. One was adjoining and had a 'hammer nais into a tree stump' game going on, the other had a bar that wasn't shit just a few doors down. 

If a party is so great I'd rather do that it says something of the low the levels of enjoyment found at a wedding reception are. 

But I believe that's part of a bigger thing, organised fun. Like a meticulously planned team building works event a wedding reception is restrained and scheduled fun, which really means everyone sort of enjoys about 20 minutes somewhere through the 6 hours and spends the rest saying how fun it is to try and convince themselves because they believe they should be enjoying it. 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

One was adjoining and had a 'hammer nais into a tree stump' game going on

What is this, and how is it a game?

(PS you wedding haters are all incredibly antisocial. Weddings only really suck if you don't like the people at them, in which case you shouldn't be going)

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

What is this, and how is it a game?

(PS you wedding haters are all incredibly antisocial. Weddings only really suck if you don't like the people at them, in which case you shouldn't be going)

Start the nails so they stand in the wood. You then got one strike attempt, holding the hammer in one hand and not touching the nail, to knock it in flush before passing the hammer on to the next player. Winner is the first to get it fully in and flush. 

They were all putting money on it too. 

54 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Start the nails so they stand in the wood. You then got one strike attempt, holding the hammer in one hand and not touching the nail, to knock it in flush before passing the hammer on to the next player. Winner is the first to get it fully in and flush. 

They were all putting money on it too. 

Hull’s Krypton Factor is still going then.  

6 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

That's the thing, I've got no interest in going. And if I had it my way I'd swerve it. But apparently "She's your sister" should be enough to guilt me into attending.

• 1 month later...

A trip to the dentist, even if it’s just for a check-up. 

When they’re poking around in your mouth, searching to holes in your teeth with their tools...even if they don’t find one, even if they don’t get that sweet, sweet opportunity to inflict that sudden jolt of pain the constant dread you feel as it happens is horrific. 

When you’re a child your parents and teachers tell you there’s no reason to fear the dentist. Utter bullshit. As you go through life you realise there are very few places that are worse. Certainly it’s the worst place you visit regularly. Fuck dentists and fuck teeth too for that matter.

Edited by RedRooster

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...