Cartoons

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

Whilst I echo the comment above, in this instance it is just a poorly animated parody of an old show. I am not even sure who the target audience is meant to be. And isn't the aim of things like this to sell merchandise? Who is going to buy anything from a cartoon that looks like this. I can't even imagine the action figures for it. 

And I am not against this kind of thing, I think Teen Titans Go is actually well done, but this just looks awful. I made it through about a minute when I thought this is not for me. And maybe that's the point.

The 80's Thundercats series is still easily accessible as is the 2011 show, which like the early 00's He-Man reboot is arguably, at least in my opinion, a better show.

My daughter has been keeping track of this and really wants to watch it. Again, like Star Wars, a lot of the hyperbolic outrage about shit like this infuriates me. So fucking what if it's not your Thundercats? It's someone else's  and they have every right to enjoy it.

That said, it's not my Thundercats, but meh, who does it hurt really?

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Whilst I echo the comment above, in this instance it is just a poorly animated parody of an old show. I am not even sure who the target audience is meant to be. And isn't the aim of things like this to sell merchandise? Who is going to buy anything from a cartoon that looks like this. I can't even imagine the action figures for it. 

And I am not against this kind of thing, I think Teen Titans Go is actually well done, but this just looks awful. I made it through about a minute when I thought this is not for me. And maybe that's the point.

Teen Titans Go is great. When my eldest wants to watch it I stop what I'm doing and give it a watch with her. 

• Paid Members
On 1/9/2020 at 8:50 PM, BrodyGraham said:

It gets better and better. I don't want to say much more, but it goes to some places I didn't expect or was ready for.

Top drawer stuff.

https://www.channel4.com/press/news/adult-swims-prehistoric-animation-genndy-tartakovskys-primal-land-all-4

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/primal

All 4 are showing this as of this past Friday. Definitely worth a watch. Episode three is very good. 

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, BigJag said:

https://www.channel4.com/press/news/adult-swims-prehistoric-animation-genndy-tartakovskys-primal-land-all-4

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/primal

All 4 are showing this as of this past Friday. Definitely worth a watch. Episode three is very good. 

Yep I watched episode 1 on Friday. Not what I expected, can’t wait to see the rest, hopefully this week

32 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Its a show primarily aimed at children

If the tongue in cheekiness of my hash tag didn't come across, I'm sorry; I forget tone of voice isn't always obvious in posts.

The above comment niggles me a little, because it seems to assume a show suitable for children is okay to be poor quality or 'childish'. Rose tinted specs or not, the original Thundercats was marketed heavily on its moral narratives and characters which were partially developed or vetted with the help of family focus groups, I think - it was the show that was "okay to watch with your kids". Yes, the stories and dialogue were drawn with broad strokes, but the themes and messages were still presented seriously. The original dealt with the tragedy of Thundera's destruction several times, but the new trailer shows a planet going pop for lolz. If that's the vibe they're marketing, as well as all the cats being rubbery weapon-based caricatures instead of realistic warriors, then that sets a bad precedent to me. Plus I think that animation style is lazy, far less polished and accomplished than the near-anime look of the original (I think they subbed the work out to Japanese studios, so although the animation and proportions might be off occasionally, some of the matte paint work and fight choreography was top notch). 

God, I'm old.

Edited by CavemanLynn

We've just finished Avatar: The Last Airbender and are about a third a way through it's sequel series The Legend of Korra. 

I struggle to think of many shows in any medium that tell such a great story in such a beautifully realised world. Proper all time stuff for me and for the little one who's gone all in on it.

A bit nervous about the upcoming Netflix adaptation, but it can't be as bad as the film, right?

• Paid Members

I would put Airbender and Korra against any TV show. Sopranos, Deadwood, The Wire, you name it. It belongs up there. It's really that good, but as a cartoon most people won't watch it. Amazingly original world and the most loveable characters in anything you'll watch. Korra is also really great and the Netflix show is being written by the same guys so I'm sure it'll be good stuff. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Cartoons as good as "real shows": Berserk (1997), it's better than any season of GoT.

I've been meaning to give Avatar a watch for bloody years now,.

My friend pestered me to watch Berserk for ages (The series). I finally relented and agree it's one of the best things I've ever seen in any media, I was blown away.