Cartoons

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LCJ said:

I think Captain Planet was Ted Turner’s idea as he was concerned about climate change and wanted the younger generation to be aware of it too. I remember Whoopi Goldberg being one of the voices of one of the characters. Can’t remember any of the other actors.

Whoopi Goldberg was Gaia, LeVar Burton was Kwami, Jeff Goldblum and Meg Ryan played two of the villains.

I've been thoroughly entertained by a few cartoons on Netflix.

The Voltron reboot was very good. Really nice mix of action and good humour over it's few seasons. 

I've quite liked the two seasons of The Dragon Prince. It's a fantasy story from some of the people behind Avatar/ Legend of Korra and follows a similar structure. The art and animation style might turn people off, it being cel shaded 3D but the story is nice YA fantasy fare.

Finally, if you've got infant/primary school age kids, especially girls, Hilda is fantastic. It's a gentle fantasy cartoon about a little girl who lives in an anonymous Scandinavian wilderness. It might be a bit too much of a cartoon for the almond milk latte set, but it's relentlessly charming and beautifully designed.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

Finally, if you've got infant/primary school age kids, especially girls, Hilda is fantastic. It's a gentle fantasy cartoon about a little girl who lives in an anonymous Scandinavian wilderness. It might be a bit too much of a cartoon for the almond milk latte set, but it's relentlessly charming and beautifully designed.

I’ve not watched it, but my 5 year old daughter loves it and now has a couple of books

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

Been listening to some episodes of the Saturday Morning Cartoon Boom Podcast. Learned some quite interesting things. Like how Battle Of The Planets aired in Japan many years before the American version with a different name and how so many things were toned down for the US audience. I only vaguely remember watching the programme when it was on BBC 1 as I was so young at the time but the hosts weren’t impressed with the US version at all.

It’s not a bad podcast and is usually less than an hour per episode. I downloaded a few episodes that spoke about cartoons that I remembered watching at some point or another.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, LCJ said:

Been listening to some episodes of the Saturday Morning Cartoon Boom Podcast. Learned some quite interesting things. Like how Battle Of The Planets aired in Japan many years before the American version with a different name and how so many things were toned down for the US audience. I only vaguely remember watching the programme when it was on BBC 1 as I was so young at the time but the hosts weren’t impressed with the US version at all.

It was so popular that it even had its own brand of sweets for a while. Think they were blackcurrant flavour from what I remember.

But yeah, wasn't it the first anime series to be aired in the West? I daresay it was heavily toned down for Children's BBC, in much the same way some episodes of Pokemon were just outright not aired.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Samurai Pizza Cats is another that was a different show under a different name before it got to our shores, I've not seen the original but I loved the weird farcical version we got.

Depending on who you believe they couldn't be bothered getting the episodes translated so just wrote their own plots based roughly on what was happening on screen. 

7 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I daresay it was heavily toned down for Children's BBC, in much the same way some episodes of Pokemon were just outright not aired.

Yeah, that 7 Zark 7 robot who had shitty little wings and would've been quicker to roll over to the console instead of fly, was used to narrate the bits that were edited out as they were pretty graphic for kids at tea time.

6 hours ago, chokeout said:

Depending on who you believe they couldn't be bothered getting the episodes translated so just wrote their own plots based roughly on what was happening on screen. 

Think something similar happened with the Magic Roundabout. The original French version had different character names and stories and the English version was just voiced over with new names and made up storylines for the British market.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, LCJ said:

It’s not a bad podcast and is usually less than an hour per episode. I downloaded a few episodes that spoke about cartoons that I remembered watching at some point or another.

Science Police Gatchaman managed to make its way over to the west three times as G Force, Battle Of The Planets and in the late 90s as Eagle Riders. Each time slightly rewritten. 

It's the same with the sentai tokusatsu series that are adapted as Power Rangers. They're calling each other all kinds of names, and given the censorship that was about in 90s TV regarded violence Saban would also get access to the costumes in order to shoot some of their own footage, especially when they were reluctant to ditch the Zyuranger costumes for series 2 & 3 of Mighty Morphin', but still wanted to use the mecha from Dairanger as the new "upgraded powers". It was only when they reached Zeo that they realised it was cheaper to just keep using the sentai footage than make their own. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

Just watched an episode of Rick and Morty (I’m late to the party) where they watched television from another dimension. There’s a part where they watch an episode of what’s obviously meant to be Garfield and they discuss how Lorenzo Music is still alive in that dimension and how Bill Murray ironically ended up being the voice of Garfield (kind of like how it was discussed on this forum recently).

Speaking of Adult Swim stuff, anyone seen this parody of M.A.S.K? It’s quite good. https://youtu.be/d9qdfNmLIjg