The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

A hot crowd can make a show where nothing is really happening so much better. They were excellent. And I want to know that phenomenal song asap.

Fun statistic.   On the first ever UK Smackdown TWENTY YEARS AGO Carlito v Rey Mysterio was the main event.

On the first ever French Smackdown TWENTY YEARS LATER Carlito v Rey Mysterio was the pre show match (was good though).

Outside of the annoying ‘Hey Bayley!’ song, which I never want to hear again, what a sensational crowd - one of the best I can ever remember. I’m absolutely loving WWE hosting more PPVs outside of the States, given that it leads to shows like this. Put that in front of a US crowd, and it’s an average show. In front of this crowd, it was one of the most memorable shows I’ve seen in a while. It was so much fun to watch. 

The one thing that struck me watching the show is that there’s not even one big time heel on the Smackdown roster for Cody to sink his teeth into. You’d have to assume they’re going to turn someone, but the roster lacks big heels to the point even one turn isn’t enough. I’m perplexed by this roster, but hopefully they have an idea in mind. I’m not against Solo being pushed as the top heel, but you’d have to assume he’s doing all of this for The Rock, turning him into a secondary character.

• Paid Members

The French crowd going absolutely apeshit for everything, so loud you could barely hear people do promos on the mic, but then giving Karrion Kross and The Final Testament the silent crickets? That’s the most I’ve ever been proud to be European.

This has to be it for Kross, surely? What is this? His fourth or fifth attempt at getting over? It’s game over. You walked into a molten hot arena and managed to turn them ice cold with your presence alone. In the bin.

30 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

The one thing that struck me watching the show is that there’s not even one big time heel on the Smackdown roster for Cody to sink his teeth into. You’d have to assume they’re going to turn someone, but the roster lacks big heels to the point even one turn isn’t enough. I’m perplexed by this roster, but hopefully they have an idea in mind. I’m not against Solo being pushed as the top heel, but you’d have to assume he’s doing all of this for The Rock, turning him into a secondary character.

I think The Rock lingering is really going to affect Cody’s reign. What reason is there to have an interest in him or his feuds the next few months knowing that it’s all just filler until The Rock or Roman returns? I mean it’s fair enough at Backlash because this event is always the same for knowing the outcome and you can’t do much to change that but where does he go after AJ as far as a credible threat goes as you say? I reckon it will have to be an Orton turn which is a real shame as I’m loving this version of him.

Long term storytelling is great and something we should definitely have for the big names but sometimes things just need to pop off unexpectedly too and you need to find another way to get there. Wouldn’t be against Cody losing the title to someone around SummerSlam and chasing until the Rumble to keep things interesting. I’m not really in for a year long Cody reign - he had his moment but ultimately suits better as a chaser.

My son is 6 and, while he's aware of various different wrestling characters (he loves John Cena even though he's never even really seen him) I've never sat down and watched a wrestling show with him. Partly because of concerns for content, partly because of concerns for his general future if he adopts this as an interest. However, knowing this show was live and easily available to watch, I stuck it on at about 6:30pm while he was getting ready for bed.

We were greeted with Authors of Pain vs. Bate & Dunne, whose tag team name I'd prefer not to use because of its crapness. Anyway, the match started and as I watched, I saw him becoming more and more engaged. Watching every move, flinching and bobbing his head, doing little 'yeah' noises when the faces got a reversal or hit a move. And I thought, perhaps this is the ideal match to draw him in. Distinct face/heel teams, even down to the clear size difference between the two. Bate's Butlins-esque offence, including the aeroplane spin which he found hilarious. The hot crowd who were reacting to absolutely everything with fervour. It was just so much fun, and all for a random TV tag team match! I know Dunne and Bate have their detractors on here and I get why. However, seeing a non-cynical pair of eyes view the action here was a joy to behold.

As the show continued, he grew a real affection for Orton, Owens and LA Knight. Then the main event segment was advertised at which point he said 'ooh look Cody Rhodes!' It's easy to see why Cody is so popular and his old school babyface act seems to draw in exactly the sort of audience WWE should be after. So when his mum said it was bedtime, I had a choice - send him off upstairs, disappointed but free of further exposure to this sublime, ridiculous form of entertainment, or pipe up and doom him forever. Maybe in years to come I will rue the day I said "there's only twenty minutes left, let's just let him see the rest". For now though, I'm glad I did. Watching Cody's entrance in front of this crowd? He's hooked. Absolutely hooked. Pray for me, guys!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

Outside of the annoying ‘Hey Bayley!’ song, which I never want to hear again,

29 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Seconded. 

YMMV. I’ve been in a crowd singing that, it’s great fun. I’d take something distinctive like that to show Bayley some love any day of the week over another round of “Lets-go (wrest-ler) CLAP, CLAP, CLAP CLAP CLAP”

People's watches in the arena received a warning about prolonged exposure to the volume in the building. Beautiful. 

spacer.png

I noticed Generic Crowd Cheer #1 is indeed accented, also. It's a bit of a yeUAHa! 

14 hours ago, FUM said:

A hot crowd can make a show where nothing is really happening so much better. They were excellent. And I want to know that phenomenal song asap.

It’s one of the most Europop sounding songs possible. And just now added to my liked songs playlist

Don't normally watch wwe but watched smackdown this week. That atmosphere was amazing. One thing I've noticed about wwe is the matches are quite short. However sometimes it seems like wwe know when to end it. It's great to have long matches but sometimes aew does to many of them.

La Knight is great really like him.

2 hours ago, no user name said:

Don't normally watch wwe but watched smackdown this week. That atmosphere was amazing. One thing I've noticed about wwe is the matches are quite short. However sometimes it seems like wwe know when to end it. It's great to have long matches but sometimes aew does to many of them.

La Knight is great really like him.

I may be wrong, but I’m getting the impression from this that WWE was not your entry point to wrestling, is that the case? 

51 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I may be wrong, but I’m getting the impression from this that WWE was not your entry point to wrestling, is that the case? 

I watched wwe from about 99-2003. Then for from about 2007 for a few years. Now I watch aew and wwe sometimes.

I also like to watch wrestling on YouTube. Doesn't really matter which promotion just like good matches.