We built this shitty...

tiger_rick

That one.  The arrival of Steiner was fantastic, and all the pose-downs and shit made him into this huge face.  Then that match at the Rumble, where Steiner was sucking in so much oxygen that the front row passed out.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

That one.  The arrival of Steiner was fantastic, and all the pose-downs and shit made him into this huge face.  Then that match at the Rumble, where Steiner was sucking in so much oxygen that the front row passed out.

As soon as I heard his theme started with the, still baffling to me "Holler if you hear me" I knew the run was going to blow. In that regard, it didn't disappoint, 

CM Punk leaving with the WWE Title at Money In The Bank, promising to defend the title in Ring of Honor or New Japan and then returning to tv two weeks later.

Yeah this one still bothers me. I know Punk has said they had lots of plans for it, but then they needed a Main Event at Summerslam so it was cut short.

They only really did the ComicCon angle where he walked in when Trips was doing a panel.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Factotum said:

They only really did the ComicCon angle where he walked in when Trips was doing a panel.

He turned up at an indie show and did a thing with Gregory Iron as well didn't he? I'm sure I remember something about that, maybe at a show in Chicago or something?

• Paid Members

I know it's been rammed up its own bollocks repeatedly on here, and probably warrants a warning for bringing it up again, but Sean O'Haires wonderful 'Devils Advocate' build up, followed by the horrendous payoff has to be worth mentioning again.
He just walked around looking as if Peter Norths' willy had been dipped in beetroot and someone put a spider jacket on it. And resembled nothing like the character that shone through on the vignettes.

• Paid Members

I may have misunderstood the OP here, but I got the impression that @tiger_rick was talking about stuff that had both shit build-up and a shit pay-off? Otherwise, aren't we just back at the usual "Biggest Disappointments"?

• Awards Moderator

I'd go with just about anything involving Vince in 2007. His feud with Lashley that was presumably designed to make Bobby the new Stone Cold, and had Vince winning the ECW Title, took up loads of screen time, had loads of build, and was dreadful. Failed in its purpose as well because Lio Rush was 12 years old at that point and couldn't talk for Lashley, who'd been enzymed and then buggered off by the end of the summer anyway so it was all for nothing. Vince followed up with the murder angle which took up ALL the screen time, was on the way to loads of build until the real murder happened and put an end to it, and was dreadful. Also failed in its purpose because the real murder meant they couldn't carry out the angle up to the reveal of it being whoever they had in mind.

Was the illegitimate son angle 2007 as well? Bad year for McMahon angles all round.

DDP as Sara Callaway's stalker. Pathetic angle. Was totally unnecessary, out of character for DDP and was probably done to make an ex WCW guy look bad.

Sting jobbing to HHH at Wrestlemania a few years ago wasn't great either. Triple H as per usual gave himself by far the best entrance with the Terminator theme. Hitting people with sledgehammers is a really stupid spot too. I get it's pro wrestling and you have to suspend your disbelief but come on, hitting people with a sledgehammer would break bones or kill them if it was on the skull. Also file that match under "trying to make WCW guys look bad".

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, LCJ said:

DDP as Sara Callaway's stalker. Pathetic angle. Was totally unnecessary, out of character for DDP and was probably done to make an ex WCW guy look bad.

Sting jobbing to HHH at Wrestlemania a few years ago wasn't great either. Triple H as per usual gave himself by far the best entrance with the Terminator theme. Hitting people with sledgehammers is a really stupid spot too. I get it's pro wrestling and you have to suspend your disbelief but come on, hitting people with a sledgehammer would break bones or kill them if it was on the skull. Also file that match under "trying to make WCW guys look bad".

Sting was doomed to fail when they gave him that Taker/Big Show theme instead of his actual theme. When he came out at Mania I cut the sound and played that instead. It was good enough for them to stick in the game and the trailers for the game, so why couldn't Vince have put his hand in his pocket for that?

Still better than his TNA theme though. 

Completely disagree about the Sting run.  Apart from the state of his hair, Ioved the rest of it.  The match was fantastic, with all the nWo/DX run-ins, it felt like a quick precis of what the Invasion could have been if they'd had the big contracts.   I don't mind Sting losing , and I'm sure he didn't care either.  For all his faults, HHH generally loses at Wrestlemania, so in this instance where he wasn't trying to get a newer star over, why not.

Poor Rollins though, he'll always be the guy who killed Sting and put an end to what could have been a series of cool matches.

• Paid Members

The party I was at, every one of us watching that match was laughing out loud throughout. I don't think that was what they were going for.

Scott Hall taking a back body drop on the floor, the nWo helping Their Best Mate Sting, even though Nash and Hall are canonically mates with Triple H, Shawn Michaels and X-Pac as well. Michaels having to do his own run-in rather than get stuck with all the other DX scrubs. Sting's magic baseball bat breaking a wooden sledgehammer in half.

It was hilarious. I can go back and enjoy it now, but at the time it was so completely preposterous, and in the moment kind of frustratingly so. Still no need for Triple H to have gone over, but then I don't think Triple H should be winning matches while an authority figure full stop, he should be jobbing 90% of the time.

The funniest part of it all was that Sting did a great promo on RAW saying "this isn't about WWE vs. WCW", and actually explained why he would have a beef with Triple H in particular, and the Authority in general, and it was completely consistent with Sting's character and his motivations throughout his career. Then the match comes along and you can forget all that, it's definitely about WWE vs. WCW, and Sting gets a mad kabuki entrance because maybe Vince thinks he's the Great Muta?

On 3/28/2019 at 12:26 PM, Scott Malbranque said:

I know it's been rammed up its own bollocks repeatedly on here, and probably warrants a warning for bringing it up again, but Sean O'Haires wonderful 'Devils Advocate' build up, followed by the horrendous payoff has to be worth mentioning again.
He just walked around looking as if Peter Norths' willy had been dipped in beetroot and someone put a spider jacket on it. And resembled nothing like the character that shone through on the vignettes.

You're not telling us anything we don't already know... ;)

Archived