We built this shitty...

tiger_rick

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Roman Reigns had a few in recent years. His BrockMania feuds feature some woeful ideas from Vince. In particular them throwing Brock under the bus by pointing out he's too smart and big time to be there all the time, so this only worked to make fans become jaded with both men. It was funny too because Reigns would act the hard bugger when Brock was busy shagging Sable, but the moment Brock turned up Reigns got battered, making him look like such a blowhard.

It all led to a main event nobody in the arena cared for. I mean they spent a year or so having Brock win with only one F5, but the fans couldn't give a care when Reigns kicked out of one, nevermind the 16 that followed.

Could be the worst big time Mania build Vince has ever booked.

• Paid Members

The whole world knew the reason Lesnar was suddenly putting people like Strowman and Joe away with a single F5 was because when he and Reigns finally crossed paths Roman would have been kicking out of them for fun. When they stuck Strowman into the feud with Lesnar while Reigns was first away it can't have been good for Lesnar when suddenly a single F5 couldn't keep Braun down when it had in the past. 

The thing about the Reigns build that irked me was when he wrestled Joe. Joe had him in the clutch and he was out, at the point where the ref has awarded the match to Joe countless times in the past, and if it'd been an MMA match it would have been over as well. I was shouting for the ref to call it, or at the very least check the arms so when Roman does inevitably spark back into life it doesn't look as ridiculous. I'd resigned myself to it being one of those "Joe gets all his shit in, Reigns hits a Superman punch and spear then wins" matches from the outset, but they ruined it with the clutch. There were so many ways they could have had Reigns get out of it, heck they were close to the ropes so it could even have been that they forced a rope break. Hated it. 

Joe's done a great job bouncing back from it though. Better than Strowman did. 

6 hours ago, gmoney said:

I'm not sure that counts, as though you could say it started off shakily, it ended up being better than the original. 

Wait, what?

Michael Cole as a heel announcer.

I was re-watching one of the Best Matches of the Year DVDs and his heel announcer character was all over that year's matches and promos. I had forgotten how much I hated him during this time, this wasn't I hate you coz you're a heel hate, this was oh please do fuck off hate.

That Wrestlemania match was shit too.

• Paid Members

From my recollection, Ahmed Johnson feuding with Farooq/NOD went on for 16 months or so. I remember seeing the feud had started on my Summerslam VHS and it rolled on til near enough the time Ahmed left. I think there was an injury spell in there but still...

• Paid Members
On 3/30/2019 at 3:58 PM, ColinBollocks said:

It was funny too because Reigns would act the hard bugger when Brock was busy shagging Sable, but the moment Brock turned up Reigns got battered, making him look like such a blowhard.

This was the maddest part - they did the "Lesnar doesn't care, while Roman's here fighting every night", only to have Reigns get absolutely slaughtered. So the bloke who doesn't care can still beast your top bloke with minimal effort? What a star-making turn that was.

WCW did a similar angle with Luger before he made the jump to the WBF/WWF, but actually handled it really well - he did promos "via satellite", ducked challenges, barely ever wrestled. But you knew that when he did, he was outclassed, because he wasn't putting a shift in. And you had JR on commentary slagging him off, and saying, "we all know there's no money in bodybuilding" just to get a dig in on Vince. 

This way round was just backwards - Lesnar doesn't give a shit, he's not wrestling, not on the road, doesn't watch the TV show, barely cares, but he's still better than everyone else. What does that say, not just about Reigns, but about the entire WWE roster?

It seems like they did with Reigns what they started doing with Cena. They played him heel to certain audiences. The problem is they never went all the way through with it so the character comes out looking like a bit of a prick. I'm fascinated to see what they do with Roman going forward and if they'll push him with genuine care. Instead of setting him up to fail, over and over.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, BomberPat said:

This way round was just backwards - Lesnar doesn't give a shit, he's not wrestling, not on the road, doesn't watch the TV show, barely cares, but he's still better than everyone else. What does that say, not just about Reigns, but about the entire WWE roster?

It just wasn't well thought out at all. I can maybe understand it if the idea was to keep Brock as strong as possible to make Reigns' win mean more, but they only went and had Brock butcher Reigns (again) in the match and win. Well done, Reigns kicked out of 23 F5's, but no one cared because the feud was done.

It all made you pine for the days of this shite:
giphy.gif

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Merzbow said:

How long did the DDP and Johnny B Badd feud go on for?

I'm not convinced it's ended.

I watch a lot of WCW mid-90s PPVs as background viewing these days, and I'm now convinced that Johnny B Badd wrestled in the opening match of every pay-per-view in history, and nothing will convince me otherwise. This is my Flat Earth.

Archived