Perfect Albums

Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

@Divorced Dad @Bellenda Carlisle I actually came in to suggest both Dookie and The Colour and the Shape so glad I had some people already somewhat agree with me.

I'm really not comfortable with how much this makes me look like a Foo Fighters fan when they've been one of my worst bands for nearly 20 years. It is a good album though.

2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Excellent shout. Still their best album as well. Everything just clicks.

And whilst AAF should be nowhere near this list, they do get an unfairly bad rep due to 'Smooth Criminal' keeping in them in the 00'S one-hit wonder zeitgeist. 'Movies' is probably the best positive break-up song this side of 'Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)'. And they had a song included in the THPS3 soundtrack, and as we all know that is the best THPS game and therefore has the best THPS soundtrack.

This thread needs more AAF chat. I've always loved Anthology. "Sticks and Stones", "Happy Death Day" and "Universe" are all great too. "Wish" was the track on the Tony Hawks soundtrack.

I saw AAF live a couple of years ago and they played the album in full from start to finish. It was really telling that they took "Smooth Criminal" out of the running order (it's second to last on the record) and stuck it in the encore after "These Days". It's so out of place but it's the one the casuals are paying to see. If you take that song out of the equation you've got a solid Incubus-esque record.

Already so many I agree with in this thread so I thought I would add some of my own personal choices - ridiculed as they may be

Breed 77/ Cultura - This album was on constant rotation in my room in 2004 and not one skipable track IMO, this band deserved so much better.

The Game /The Documentary -  Slickly produced by Dr Dre this is just great song after great song and no he never reached these heights again!

Marilyn Manson/ Mechanical Animals - At the time the goth kids were disappointed as their hero went all glam rock on them, which is probably why this album gets overlooked but top to bottom it is a great great album which they (or he) never got close to making again. 

Many other albums I love come close but normally have 1 or 2 tracks which let them down, will agree with 'Ten' and 'Rumors' as the most perfect albums though!

• Paid Members

For me, Ye-Me-Lê is the pinnacle of Sergio Mendes' and Brasil '66 classic run, and therefore the best easy listening album

Side one

Side Two

Nothing even close to a weak track, and it's a real shame actually that they'd been so successful just before this, as a backlash against meant that it was quite overlooked at the time. Can't go wrong with this, and Crystal Illusions (the next album) isn't far behind.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

i'll add this...

4062fd59a3fae882ac3b78a09ce66cfd.jpg

Few albums are able to transport me to another place like this one and make me feel certain emotions like this

I'm the same, I don't know what it is about Smashing Pumpkins but any time I properly listen to them I'm instantly taken back to being a teenager in a way that is a bit too bittersweet. Bloodhound Gang and Dog eat Dog just remind me of the fun times of being 14.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

A real lightning in a bottle album, a beast that seemingly that came out of nowhere and every track is stupidly good, no Dizzee album has come close since. It's amazing that Dizzee wasn't even 20 when he released this and he also produced every track.

Brilliant album, but I'm really not a fan of I Luv U. That was his first hit as well wasn't it? Fix Up still sounds fucking ace today.

3 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Brilliant album, but I'm really not a fan of I Luv U. That was his first hit as well wasn't it? Fix Up still sounds fucking ace today.

Yeah that was the first single, I love the beat so much but yeah the lyrics are ehhh, Shystie did an amazing reply to them.