Perfect Albums

Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
On 2/7/2019 at 10:34 AM, Brewster McCloud said:

Can we talk about Frank Zappa now?

Oh, go on then.

Apostrophe, One Size Fits All and Zoot Allures are all prime contenders for here, but I'm offering these two:

zappa2.thumb.jpg.cb6c15bff27645dbcb8fa5a5b51eb6f5.jpg

50 years old and still as fresh as ever, it's practically cryogenic. 

zappa1.jpg.443016bb3577f4523f58cbb4c12b760c.jpg

Zappa forms the most incredible band he can, and then drives them to insanity by changing the set list every night and putting the sociopathic bass player in charge of rehearsals. The sound, though. Just the sound of that big band with the horns and percussionist is awesome.

asap.jpg.8f35dfd83b7cce53b3bfbe39135403b5.jpg

An underappreciated gem, hindered by poor marketing. It's not an Iron Maiden album in any way, just a tremendous bit of late 80s radio friendly pop rock.

And it's waaaay better than Dance of Death.

Edited by Nostalgia Nonce

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Or James Blunt. Sacrilege! 

Toploader are conspicuous by their absence. Also White Ladder by David Gray.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Toploader are conspicuous by their absence. Also White Ladder by David Gray.

off topic, but David Grey was playing V Festival on the main stage before the Foos. All I can remember is his head bobbing all the time and he had a drummer who took his technique and fashion from Animal of The Muppets

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I think that has been legit nominated earlier in the thread. 

I thought it was alright, but wouldn't say it was perfect.

• Paid Members

Black Grape's It's Great When You're Straight ... Yeah? (1995)

R-1048909-1479139359-4310.png.jpg

For me, the best Brit Pop era album by a large margin. Shaun Ryder's finest ever work, too. A mesh of styles Damon Albarn desperately tried to master with Gorillaz, and didnt come close to an album this good. Let's look at the cover for a start. Carlos the Jackal in a pop art stylee with the title in his sunglasses. What a beautiful and offensive cover this is. Putting a Venezuelan terrorist recently imprisoned was a bold choice for a group formed out of the ashes of a band that bankrupted their last record label.

The songs are all wonderful. First to last. They're all catchy, rambling, funny, pop culture referenced and fun. Reverend Black Grape was a belter to open the album up with. In the Name of the Father continues the blasphamy. Tramazi Parti announces their latest drug of choice to the unsuspecting. Kelly's Heroes was a soundtrack for loads of Sky and BBC highlight comps, which is funny considering its a song about how all your heroes are on coke.

A wonderful album, that knocked strips off every other album released during the Oasis and Blur's feud, when both were arguing who was the best band in England. Neither had Bez did they?

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

On 1/16/2020 at 10:33 PM, PowerButchi said:

I've recently got into a new band called New Radicals. Cheers for that heads up Pat. 

Well, 'you get what you give' Butch. I spose it could be worse. It could be 'all killer, no filler' 👀

• 3 years later...