Perfect Albums

Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Max Power said:

I like Yoshimi - might have to dig it out now actually. Not listened to it in years - Fight Test reminds me a little bit of Cat Stephens.

What's the most 'perfect' Beatles album then? Is there one? The one I listen to most is probably Abbey Road, but there's some bollocks on there.

Band On The Run.Ā 

4 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Iā€™d argue The Beatles donā€™t have a perfect album, thereā€™s usually one or two naff songs on there. Iā€™d say Sgt Pepper is closest though.

Sgt. Pepper's isn't in my top four Beatles albums. I'd say Revolver is very consistent and is very much in there as a conversation of 'perfect albums'.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

It still annoys me that Abbey Road has Her Majesty as the closer and not The End.Ā 

That whole crescendo coda from You Never Give Me Your Money onwards is one of the best things in all human creation.Ā 

And then there's Her Majesty to take a big smelly dump on it.Ā 

• Paid Members

If I'm listening to the Beatles I'll usually listen to thst 1967-70 double album. It's does a pretty good job. The Paul McCartney remastered Let It Be... Naked is quite good as well. Strips a lot of the songs right back. The version of Long & Winding Road on there is great because there's not a wall of sound distracting you from the song.Ā 

I agree with Rubber Soul being the most consistent Beatles album. I adore Revolver but it's got one or two twangy, spangly ones that disappear in amongst all the other twangy, spangly ones on it. Still, Ringo Starr invented big beat music on Tomorrow Never Knows, which is one of the most perfect tunes ever. So dense and well built that it's fucking astonishing that it's only 2:58.Ā 

Abbey Road's my favourite, but the brilliant medley and the constant change of styles in the first half of the album makes it feel a bit too mental to fit the thread criteria. Sgt. Pepper's is obviously brilliant, but the relentless acid camp of it sort of wears thin, and history is slowly showing it drifting to the outside of their top 4-5 albums.

It might be partly down to the booze but if there's a bad track onĀ Ā Here's Little RichardĀ then they missed it off my copy, the man's a beast on this, 28 minutes of a rock n' roll badass making it up as he goes along. All killer, no filler!

Edited by Harry Wiseau
I missed two words out

• Paid Members

This is probably more due to nostalgia, but 1977 by Ash is a great one. It works. The singles are great, the rest of the songs on there link them together well.

• Paid Members

Its obviously subject to taste and whether you like the band orĀ not but I have always considered Hot Fuss by The Killers (UK version) to be a perfect start to finish listen.

Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine has an intro which makes it a perfect "Track 1" and settles you in immediately for "this is who this band are and what they do" and the first five songs all deliver. Everything from then on is still very good with particular mention of Glamorous Indie Rock & Roll as a superb song for its placing. Believe Me Natalie has the outro which might have been a perfect last song but even Everything Will Be Alright, which might feel a little out of place juxtaposed to the rest of the album, serves as a really good "comedown" song to sign off with. Not suggesting I ever took drugs listening to the album. Not at all. Especially not while playing Here Comes The Pain til the small hours.

Sams Town was never going to live up to the first album. If you like that sort of thing, again, subject to taste.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

Beck. Sea Change. I know he tends to do that funky hippity hop thing mostly, but he's ventured outside that "comfort zone" a few times. Sea Change is his folksy blues album. It's beautiful. When my mind is a whirling maelstrom of whatever the hell is going on it doesn't fail to calm me down to some degree. Morning Phase, Mutations and Modern Guilt are decent albums as well. He's almost as chameleonic as Bowie in terms of the genres he's straddled. His last album was a balls to the wall pop album which was also pretty good, and for as awesome as the likes of Odelay & Midnite Vultures may be Sea Change is an entirely fitting title for this album. When the album was out he also wrote and recorded Feel Good Time with William Orbit for whichever Charlie's Angels soundtrack it was, but he didn't want Feel Good Time as the single while he ostensibly had a country album out for ear of dividing his fans. Plus it wouldn't have fit his live set at the time so Pink ended up doing it, but the original is a cracker.Ā