All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

• Paid Members

I hope AEW create a character called Peter Green or something, "PG," for short and make him the top heel. Have him say rubbish swear words  like. "crikey!" "get stuffed!" and "bloomin' heck!" whilst using soft, crap weapons like a couch cushion or an inflatable chair. Then I hope he beats everyone and is champion forever. Finishing move: chinlock.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Lol'd me cock off on twitter tonight. There was a big rumour going about that a contract has been offered to a big name in WWE by Fulham's director of football and Stardust. Sean Ross Sapp of Fightful said that the name they are going after is ... not Daniel Bryan, not AJ Styles, not Shinsuke Nakamura ... but Randy Orton. Cody's old Legacy mate.

Fucking pissed myself, because all this shite about alternatives and how this going to be an alternative and a place for the wrestling fans that those who do shitty chants during Raw to enjoy themselves. And in reality, the three names Big Tone has been after is Goldberg, Batista and Orton. The three people who always get snide cunts yelling shit at him about being dull or one dimensional. Give me those three, and I think I'll get me AEW shirt ordered during the week.

They have no interest in presenting a real "alternative". When a wrestling promoter says the want to present an alternative to WWE, nine times out of ten they mean "we just hope you watch us instead of them" or "we want to be WWE, only I get to play Vince".

On 2/3/2019 at 8:46 PM, David said:

The company don't seem to be listening to what the fans actually want. How many times have we seen Roman Reigns positioned as a main event guy? The fans don't buy it. I'm sure he's a great guy and hopefully he beats his health problems, but he has the charisma of a paper cup of tepid tea.

Unless the company are happy to coast on as they have been, they really need to change things up a bit, don't they? Then again, maybe I'm not the audience they're looking for.

I think you're missing the point that Vince is actually very happy with the way things are now: he's selling the brand now, not individual stars who might leave for Hollywood and thus make him look like the small time carny he's desperate not to be seen as. He has a core audience who tune in every Monday night no matter how boring it is. It's not going to change. Old fans like you and I can meanwhile wallow in nostalgia. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Snugglecakes said:

Eh, he's pretty similar to Cody. Good character work, mediocre in everything else.

Yeah, pretty much. Brilliant when it comes to angles and interviews, average at best bell-to-bell. He's fun in hardcore/deathmatches but he's not even the best deathmatch worker in the UK anymore (that credit goes to Drew Parker).

• Paid Members

Also, "the fans don't buy Roman Reigns as a top guy" isn't as cut and dry as people think it is, nor is the idea that WWE are struggling. 

Wrestlemanias (Wrestlemaniae? Wrestles Mania?) headlined by Roman Reigns are amongst the highest grossing WWE live events ever. As of Q2 2018, Reigns sold more merchandise than any other wrestler in WWE. Videos featuring Roman Reigns consistently  garner more views than any other wrestling content on YouTube. Roman Reigns has more Twitter follows by a literal order of magnitude than Kenny Omega, almost three million more followers than Cody Rhodes, and so on and so on. 

And, given that this is the AEW thread, and "The Elite" tend to point to T-shirt sales and their YouTube show as metrics of success, someone like Roman Reigns (who, to the AEW fanbase, is pretty much the antithesis of what they imagine AEW will give them) being able to run rings around them by those metrics should be something they take notice of.

The only real measure by which Roman Reigns is a "failed experiment" is that the people who are already paying increasingly high ticket prices to attend televised shows are booing him once they've already handed over their money. And TV/PPV crowds are never the fairest assessment of the total audience - they represent a tiny minority, and they represent those who are prepared to spend their time and money to attend the shows, which means they're more likely to be the kind of "hardcore" fan that will boo Reigns.

5 hours ago, Supremo said:

Is Jimmy Havoc actually any good? I've only seen one or two of his matches and I was nowhere near impressed enough to get over the awful look and gimmick. It stinks of low-level indy guy.

Yea, bang average really, most of his matches need weapons to get them going, He’s practically just a death match wrestler really and in this day and age that’s not gonna get you far at all.

Really nice bloke though, good on him for probably getting a good deal out of it, all the best to him.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, gmoney said:

When is Nash coming in? I'd like to see the cruiserweight bully storyline again 

Nash was a sensation during that storyline. The cruisers were all well game too and all played their part well. The push-up contest and the 'Sonjay on steroids' running jokes are essential viewing. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Also, "the fans don't buy Roman Reigns as a top guy" isn't as cut and dry as people think it is, nor is the idea that WWE are struggling. 

Wrestlemanias (Wrestlemaniae? Wrestles Mania?) headlined by Roman Reigns are amongst the highest grossing WWE live events ever. As of Q2 2018, Reigns sold more merchandise than any other wrestler in WWE. Videos featuring Roman Reigns consistently  garner more views than any other wrestling content on YouTube. Roman Reigns has more Twitter follows by a literal order of magnitude than Kenny Omega, almost three million more followers than Cody Rhodes, and so on and so on. 

And, given that this is the AEW thread, and "The Elite" tend to point to T-shirt sales and their YouTube show as metrics of success, someone like Roman Reigns (who, to the AEW fanbase, is pretty much the antithesis of what they imagine AEW will give them) being able to run rings around them by those metrics should be something they take notice of.

The only real measure by which Roman Reigns is a "failed experiment" is that the people who are already paying increasingly high ticket prices to attend televised shows are booing him once they've already handed over their money. And TV/PPV crowds are never the fairest assessment of the total audience - they represent a tiny minority, and they represent those who are prepared to spend their time and money to attend the shows, which means they're more likely to be the kind of "hardcore" fan that will boo Reigns.

On top of all this, Roman Reigns is a far superior wrestler than anyone the typical "hardcore" fan wanks over.

Jimmy Havoc is an odd choice. He's bloody great in any indie setting but stands out like a sore thumb on a major stage. Also his whole character is a dangerous blood thirsty psychopath but he's not really particularly threatening because he's a small guy with no muscle who doesn't look genuinely threatening against most guys and doesn't really do anything that crazy or bloody compared to other deathmatch guys.