All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

the writing, type of characters you present and the in ring style can all be adapted to appeal to an older demo without having to do anything that breaches those PG guidelines.

Then it doesn't need to be TV-14. Glad we got there in the end!

Here's something I'd like to chip in with. People blame PG etc. for stupid wrestling on TV. Here's why I don't think that's right. Cringeworthy TV is bad, PG or not PG. I thought the comedy in the Rumble was bad (probs PG.) I thought that time Braun Strowman got crushed to death in the back of a garbage truck bad (probs not PG.) I recently watched MLW for the first time and Konnan got shanked by Low-Ki at the end of the match. That was the opposite of PG, but I still found it bad and cringeworthy.

Wrestling is great, well it can be great, but bad TV is bad TV, PG or not.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

Here's something I'd like to chip in with. People blame PG etc. for stupid wrestling on TV. Here's why I don't think that's right. Cringeworthy TV is bad, PG or not PG. I thought the comedy in the Rumble was bad (probs PG.) I thought that time Braun Strowman got crushed to death in the back of a garbage truck bad (probs not PG.) I recently watched MLW for the first time and Konnan got shanked by Low-Ki at the end of the match. That was the opposite of PG, but I still found it bad and cringeworthy.

Wrestling is great, well it can be great, but bad TV is bad TV, PG or not.

A couple of weeks ago I thought "I'll give this MLW a whack. It's short, could be interesting, Tony Schiavone is back on commentary. . ." Etc. The episode I picked, that shanking carry on was in the opening recap. I couldn't believe it. I think I watched the start of the LA Park match, and then just gave up. I can't see me going back to view anymore of it. A fucking shanking. Jesus Christ. 

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

A couple of weeks ago I thought "I'll give this MLW a whack. It's short, could be interesting, Tony Schiavone is back on commentary. . ." Etc. The episode I picked, that shanking carry on was in the opening recap. I couldn't believe it. I think I watched the start of the LA Park match, and then just gave up. I can't see me going back to view anymore of it. A fucking shanking. Jesus Christ. 

They've hit the "shock people into watching this program" phase very early. Now they are into the "we've got these guys under contract, honest!" phase, where everyone leaves them and they look like morons.

On 1/30/2019 at 12:45 PM, Carbomb said:

The only thing I can think of from the Attitude Era that wasn't shit was Stone Cold and the feud with McMahon, but I think it can also be argued that, even with PG, Stone Cold would still be pretty watchable, because the swearing and violence wasn't actually what he was about.

You seriously think that? The swearing, the violence, the beer and all that shit is exactly what Austin was all about. It's what set him apart. When I think of Stone Cold I immediately think of him cursing, I think of his backstage violence and getting arrested, of him drinking beer. I don't really recall much of what he did in the ring.

I've read this discussion with interest, and find it ironic that in an era where we don't need our stars to be "non-PG," whatever that means, the single biggest star in all of combat sports is anything but PG. 

The swearing, the bullying, the asking an African American to "dance for me, boy," the calling other fighters "faggots" and "bitches," the calling a Muslim a "backwards c*nt," all of it is what makes him the star he is today. I've long said that I don't like it, but I'm usually reminded that it's what sells.

His press conferences get more eyeballs than many actual fights do.

This here is seemingly a million dollar "promo" of the type that helps land you a $100 million paycheck:

So while I'm nowhere near watching enough wrestling these days to judge any of this stuff about this new promotion, what I do know is that this guy is as big a star as you'll see.

27 minutes ago, Bohan said:

Pentagon and Fenix have signed with AEW.  I'm sure they will have to honour their MLW contracts which run to 2019 although I'm not sure what sort of agreement they have with Impact?

I don't think they are free to sign with AEW, are they not uneed contract?