Brexit

Devon Malcolm

The Tories eating themselves over Europe once again. It's the 90s! Remember when this referendum was supposed to 'unite them'?

Next Tory leader? My money is on the Buffoonish Nazi, the weasley scrotum or the Lanky, NHS killing simpleton.

Edited by Factotum

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Jacko said:

Sick of all our MPs squabbling like little kids in a playground instead of sorting out the most important thing they have had to sort in years none of them are fit to run the country if May gets voted out tonight conservative or labour

Parklife.

Perhaps I'm being a bit of a thicko here, but why would anyone want to challenge May right now? It's an act of madness surely? Donald Tusk has drawn his line in the sand and said the EU's not for turning, it's the deal on the table or no deal at all. Given that, I really can't see the EU suddenly doing a 180 for a new Tory leader and renegotiating the deal. So Boris or Rees-Mogg or whoever else is in the same situation, take the deal on the table or crash out of the EU with no deal at all (I haven't forgotten the possibility of remaining in the EU, but that would seem to be a very long shot right now). They can't criticise Theresa May for weak leadership and getting a bad deal for Britain, only to turn round and say "well sorry, I can't get us a better deal either" as it makes you like like a total spanner. Surely the time for a leadership challenge would be after Theresa May is forced to crash out of the EU with no deal, since there seems to be no way she can get the deal through Parliament? 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Tamura said:

Perhaps I'm being a bit of a thicko here, but why would anyone want to challenge May right now? It's an act of madness surely? Donald Tusk has drawn his line in the sand and said the EU's not for turning, it's the deal on the table or no deal at all. Given that, I really can't see the EU suddenly doing a 180 for a new Tory leader and renegotiating the deal. So Boris or Rees-Mogg or whoever else is in the same situation, take the deal on the table or crash out of the EU with no deal at all (I haven't forgotten the possibility of remaining in the EU, but that would seem to be a very long shot right now). They can't criticise Theresa May for weak leadership and getting a bad deal for Britain, only to turn round and say "well sorry, I can't get us a better deal either" as it makes you like like a total spanner. Surely the time for a leadership challenge would be after Theresa May is forced to crash out of the EU with no deal, since there seems to be no way she can get the deal through Parliament? 

Ego. 

You are also counting on the fact that mogg and Boris think no deal is bad 

Boris will spin it as a No deal is better than her deal in that we can then start our own trade agreements with other countries. 'Short term pain for long term gain' Brexit will be delayed anyway. You can't have an unelected PM taking us into a No deal situation. They don't have a mandate (hers is barely there now) It would be catastrophic for the Tories. There will be a delay, Boris or whoever will bluster and lie during his election campaign, probably end up winning it because of morons, and then we'll be fucked. I'm feeling cheery this morning.

Could you narrow it down at all?

A Twat faced bollocks?

• Paid Members

Since questions seem fair game here, can I ask what people's thoughts are on Corbyn 'dropping the ball' as far as calling for a no confidence vote?  I'm seeing two distinct camps on Twitter today (as you'd expect).  "Tories were there for the taking, he should have fired the kill shot, now they've beaten him to it" and "Man's a genius, he knew this would end up making them even more vulnerable etc etc"  As very much a 'casual' fan, I don't know the meat to be able to establish the significance or lack of, of how it's played out.

28 minutes ago, Tamura said:

Donald Tusk has drawn his line in the sand and said the EU's not for turning, it's the deal on the table or no deal at all. Given that, I really can't see the EU suddenly doing a 180 for a new Tory leader and renegotiating the deal.  

If May can't get the job done, it's maybe time to send in the A-Team to sort this shit out once and for all.

After a cuppa, of course.

5d9e222b-9853-419b-a2db-8ccdbd13c66d-ori

9 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

Since questions seem fair game here, can I ask what people's thoughts are on Corbyn 'dropping the ball' as far as calling for a no confidence vote?  I'm seeing two distinct camps on Twitter today (as you'd expect).  "Tories were there for the taking, he should have fired the kill shot, now they've beaten him to it" and "Man's a genius, he knew this would end up making them even more vulnerable etc etc"  As very much a 'casual' fan, I don't know the meat to be able to establish the significance or lack of, of how it's played out.

Labour going for a no confidence vote would have been predicated on the DUP and Tory rebels siding with them. Which almost certainly wouldn't have happened if Corbyn had tabled the motion. The only way the no confidence vote would have happened is it it came from within the Tories themselves.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

Just my option but he would lose a no confidence vote. The tories hate each other the dup hate them to. 

But if they banded together and tried to force an election? They would vote it down. 

In short I don’t think he can win it 

9 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

As mentioned earlier, the people's champion Anna Soubry was on that bandwagon and then said shed vote with the government if a vote was brought. So I don't think he's actually got the numbers. 

• Paid Members

There's a theory that a lot of the people pushing for Labour to call a no confidence vote know it would fail without the DUP but want it to happen anyway because they think it will put pressure on Corbyn to then say "Right, we've tried everything else, now we back a second referendum."

Contrastingly Corbyn and co will do everything to put off that moment in the hope of getting an election (or even taking over as a minority government) before they have to publicly support a referendum and risk alienating potential voters.