Brexit

Devon Malcolm

Yeah Corbyn was right not to. Why unite the Tories behind May? Let them eat themselves. Not sure why people are criticizing him for it. Also, to the public and business' etc this is an utter mess of the Tories making.

Several Tory MPs have said they would leave the party if Boris became leader according to the Guardian. Even the Tories hate that self serving mug.

Just now, Factotum said:

Yeah Corbyn was right not to. Why unite the Tories behind May? Let them eat themselves. Not sure why people are criticizing him for it. Also, to the public and business' etc this is an utter mess of the Tories making.

Several Tory MPs have said they would leave the party if Boris became leader according to the Guardian. Even the Tories hate that self serving mug.

Because the press have to beat Corbyn with some kind of stick. And this is the one they've decided to reach with.

• Paid Members

I was actually in Parliament a few weeks ago on work business, and found it fascinating, you'd imagine, to a degree, that Boris Johnson would be that guy in school everyone wanted to hang around with, such is the way he's presented as this sort of saviour in waiting, but alas, in what was a very busy day, PMQ's happening later that morning, where in seemingly every corner of the building where conversations were taking place, I watched him bumble along on his todd in the foyer for about 15 minutes looking utterly lost and miserable.

Edited by John Matrix

Johnson would be that guy in school everyone wanted to hang around wit

He's utterly loathed by a lot of Tory MPs for a number of reasons, not least his disloyalty and self serving attitude. Even at conference he's seen as a pariah. Problem is, among a lot of Tory grass roots he's seen as this leader in waiting.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Is it possible for an MP to retain their seat whilst switching parties / leaving a party?

• Paid Members

They'd most likely just become independents rather than switch.

There is always the possibility that if you got Boris or somebody who was made PM and outright said "yeah, we're not getting a decent deal, we'll just crash out" you'd get enough Tory backbenchers commit political suicide and vote no confidence in the government to trigger an election as the only way to stop it.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Yeah, you can change parties and keep your seat as far as I remember. I think a few did it during the Major years.

Didn't Mark Reckless retain his when defecting to UKIP the other year?  I remember cries of "We have an MP! Nothing can stop us now!" around that time.

• Paid Members

Carswell and Reckless are pretty much the only MPs who've changed parties and resigned as an MP so they could restand in a by-election. Before that I think  you have to go back to 1981 when one of the MPs who jumped to the SDP did a byelection (and lost).

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Over 100 Tory MP's have said they will support May tonight according to Sky News. 158 votes will give her a win and immunity from being challenged for a year. It's either Christmas comes early or gets cancelled tonight. 

What they say and what they do are very different. 

I expect her to lose