Brexit

Devon Malcolm

11 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

An excellent observation. Wish someone could've made this when he was being a shnight about Mark Carney following his economic predictions. I don't have much time for Carney overall, but he was doing his job, and Rees-Mogg was just being even more of a fucking wretch than usual.

Carney of course pretty much held Canada together during the global financial crash that was all Gordon Brown's fault, and Rees-Mogg is so certain about about a post-Brexit Britain that he pretty much moved his Somerset Capital to Dublin, to go with his Cayman Islands and Singapore offices.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

When you think about it, Rees-Mogg is a massive underachiever, isn't he?  He is the son of a lord who is landed gentry, had the most expensive of educations and had a plum job in finance and his wealth is substantially from his wifes side.  It took him three attempts to become an MP and has never progressed past the first rung on the parliamentary ladder despite having the most privileged background possible.

Plus he is a fucking wanker.

To be fair, the first attempt in 1997 was someone's idea of a joke. Or an attempt to get him killed. I can imagine Tory HQ went "Central Fife. Well, we aren't going to win there..Oh! You know what would be REALLY funny.....".

That campaign sums Rees-Mogg up to me. He drove about one of the poorest areas in the country, in mummy's Mercedes, and told poor people it was their own fault that they were poor and that they were "the scourge of the earth". He had no idea the kind of danger he was putting himself in, and probably still doesn't. He's so rich that he's never had to deal with the consequences of his actions..

I'm honestly not sure whether he's underachieved or overachieved. Sure, he's got the background, but the only relatable thing about him is the "18th Century throwback" gimmick and THAT only lasts until you look at his policies/voting record and realise that it's not a gimmick. He really is a backwards cunt.

• Paid Members

Rees-Mogg tried the similar route that Boris Johnson took of 'ooh I'll try and be funny and get myself over that way even though I'm even more of a cunt than the usual Tory' when he was doing that Instagram stuff around the last election. To quote the gentleman above me, I hope there's a massive house fire and Rees-Mogg dies in it.

One of the first times I saw Rees-Mogg was being interviewed by Ali G, he was a fucking berk back then as well.  I also remember when he was asked if he could represent people properly as he was so posh and the prick replied with something like "No no no, it's about being vox populi"  Silly cunt.  Here's hoping he manages to get back to the 18th century where antibiotics weren't around and he dies a slow and painful death from an easily treatable disease.  Not TB though, I don't want to have anything in common with him.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

This is is entirely selfish, but I'm in Parliament this evening for work while the vote is going on and I'm very excited to potentially be there as the government collapses.

Finally, the UKFF has a man on the inside! I imagine it'll be fascinating to be there as it all happens. Very much looking forward to hearing your perspective on being there if you are when the vote goes down.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Finally, the UKFF has a man on the inside! I imagine it'll be fascinating to be there as it all happens. Very much looking forward to hearing your perspective on being there if you are when the vote goes down.

I'm hardly going to be getting scoops and I won't be able to live update because I'll be busy, but will do some sort of write up in the next few days. Going to try and get towards committee room 14 where the 1922 are meeting if I can before dinner.

Edit: Anyway, my prediction is the government won't collapse and between 70-80 Conservative MP's vote against May. With the way politics is now and the somewhat similar precedent of Corbyn and the PLP, think it would take very, very close to a majority for her to actually resign after the vote. 

Edited by Gus Mears

11 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Carney of course pretty much held Canada together during the global financial crash that was all Gordon Brown's fault, and Rees-Mogg is so certain about about a post-Brexit Britain that he pretty much moved his Somerset Capital to Dublin, to go with his Cayman Islands and Singapore offices.

In fairness Somerset Capital Management have set up a fund in Dublin, which is different from setting up an office or moving the base of operations.

The operational side of things will continue to be run from London, including an Irish collective asset management vehicle which will most likely serve EU investors. It makes perfect sense to operate a fund that is "based" within a particular jurisdiction and operated under EU laws and initiatives to service clients in that region. Failure to do so would see a lot of clients unable to invest with Somerset after a certain point.

Everything will still be run by the London office though, that part hasn't changed, and they're not moving that office anywhere.

This is where a lot of people are getting confused, when they hear that a financial institution, such as JPMorgan, LGIM, Fidelity and so forth are creating funds in other places, most notably Dublin and Luxembourg due to their status as the EU's largest fund centres, they think that it's a case of them "moving" their offices from the UK and into other EU countries, which isn't the case.

Irish financial regulators have created a law which allows fund companies to set up EU-friendly legal structures in Ireland (with some tax-friendly benefits, of course) which serve as a "base" for investors who are based within EU countries.

It's simply a case of thinking ahead and making sure that the company will still be able to offer financial services to non-UK, EU clients. obviously at the moment both EU and UK investors fall under the same regulatory framework, but when that changes you don't want to lose a chunk of your investors due to not being prepared.

But yeah, Rees-Mogg? A character right out of an episode of Jeeves & Wooster.

1 hour ago, Gus Mears said:

This is is entirely selfish, but I'm in Parliament this evening for work while the vote is going on and I'm very excited to potentially be there as the government collapses.

Edit: never mind, looking forward to the write up 

Edited by SuperBacon