WWE Crown Jewel

Kaz Hayashi

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I’m still hoping for it to move to the 11,800 capacity Gateshead international stadium. The interchange has regular bus & metro services and is only a 10 minute walk.

If everyone behaves themselves, at half time I can show them all the round-a-bout that I watched 35 minutes of the great north run from in 2009.

• Paid Members

WWE and Vince especially are the worst. They have spun everything for decades. What's mental is, chances are there is at least one (alleged) rapist on the main event of this card. Nobody even digs into that shit. Vince McMahon knows so much shit that's went on during his ownership that he's just ignored. Its easily to forget, because he's a big nutter who is charming and cartoony, but this Saudi deal is just another weekend in mad old cunt McMahon land. There's so much shit he's done and covered up that he'd be finished if people actually gave a shit about this profession.

He's courted the mainstream for decades, but can you seriously imagine if he got it? What skeletons would come out (not La Parka, real ones.) Its why I cant really get angry about them running Saudi Arabia. I have zero respect for the promotion, really. They've provided me with some tremendous entertainment over the years, but its a big shithole filled with drug addicts, nonces, rapists, bullies and general cover ups of horrid characters.

3 hours ago, Healy52003 said:

Be awesome if they move it too Manchester and have it on the Sunday but I doubt it will happen as the have events in Aberdeen and Madrid that day 

I think the most logical contingency plan would be have the main matches at Survivor Series. They could do the World Cup at the Manchester tapings so that the Quarters are on Raw, Semis on SmackDown and maybe the final at Survivor Series.

• Paid Members

The thing is, is it possible for them to run this card anywhere else on earth? Shawn Michaels only came out of retirement because its more money than WWE would ever pay him for a regular card. And Brock is getting paid over the odds as a one off. They cant just do this in Manchester. Imagine that? Shawn Michaels returns and Phil Jones is in the crowd spilling his drinks on the floor and tearing his hamstring.This card was put together as pure vanity because the Saudis are paying them so much money. Saudi Arabia is the world Vince wants to live in. No women on the card, all big stars having their tea with the Prince. No indy geeks taking the last chicken leg from the buffet. Its like 1987 again.

5 minutes ago, uklaw said:

A couple of the papers are reporting that Saudi Arabia are willing to admit that the journalist was killed in the Embassy during interrogation by a ‘rogue’ group from their country. 

The Shia-ld?

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

The thing is, is it possible for them to run this card anywhere else on earth? Shawn Michaels only came out of retirement because its more money than WWE would ever pay him for a regular card. And Brock is getting paid over the odds as a one off. They cant just do this in Manchester. Imagine that? Shawn Michaels returns and Phil Jones is in the crowd spilling his drinks on the floor and tearing his hamstring.This card was put together as pure vanity because the Saudis are paying them so much money. Saudi Arabia is the world Vince wants to live in. No women on the card, all big stars having their tea with the Prince. No indy geeks taking the last chicken leg from the buffet. Its like 1987 again.

This is all key to me. There are people acting as if they can just cancel this show with no repercussions, but there's absolutely no way they can get out of this without taking a huge financial hit.

Aside from having presumably already paid significant costs just on transport and logistics, they're locked into a 10 year deal with the Saudis. Without knowing what the specific terms are, what "get out" clauses are in play, it seems wholly implausible that they could just cancel a show and walk away without a huge cost to themselves - particularly if the pressure is such that they end up cancelling the whole deal, rather than just one show. 

And that's before you look at guys like Michaels being paid millions to work the show, Lesnar being paid enough to get on a plane and back in the ring rather than locked away in his MMA training camp. And if they've already signed anything with The Rock to appear at the April show? It all adds up. And does anyone think Brock Lesnar's going to say, "oh, the show's not happening? Never mind lads, keep your $10 million"?
Either he's getting paid for not working, but out of WWE's own funds rather than the Saudi money, or he's getting paid considerably over the odds to work a "lesser" show, or he's getting paid less than he was promised, which will create its own set of problems. Multiply that across all affected talent, and there's a potential shitstorm brewing.

Hearing that they basically didn't mention Saudi Arabia on RAW, I'm assuming they're just waiting for something else to dominate the news cycle and for all this to blow over, but I had wondered if they might just go ahead with the show and not put it on the Network to try and minimise the negative publicity. But given that so much of the Greatest Royal Rumble was built around propaganda aimed at the Western market, I can't imagine Saudi Arabia would be happy with this show not fulfilling that part of the deal, particularly when they're in dire need of positive propaganda right now.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Hearing that they basically didn't mention Saudi Arabia on RAW, I'm assuming they're just waiting for something else to dominate the news cycle and for all this to blow over, but I had wondered if they might just go ahead with the show and not put it on the Network to try and minimise the negative publicity. But given that so much of the Greatest Royal Rumble was built around propaganda aimed at the Western market, I can't imagine Saudi Arabia would be happy with this show not fulfilling that part of the deal, particularly when they're in dire need of positive propaganda right now.

It's a 10 year deal. Saudi Arabia might be okay letting them off the propaganda aspect for this show, in return for them getting back to it once everything's blown over. And since the major part of John Oliver's criticism was about WWE praising Saudi Arabia, it seems like that's the part they're addressing - by cutting out the praise at the moment.

Archived