WWE Crown Jewel

Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Factotum said:

From Trump to the Saudi's, they have associated themselves with awful people .

They are awful people. They employ awful people and have employed far worse. It's difficult to get moral about this when we, for whatever reason, follow such a horrendous industry full stop.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree. As people, I don't really care what wrestlers/owners are like. It is entertainment and unless it is something illegal people are doing, then like most entertainment, I can separate the person with the art. Perhaps hypocritical, but i can see that as two different things.

My issues come with wider stuff like this. Whether they like it or not, this is a political move by the WWE. To strike a deal with such a country with its human rights record all for the money, just stinks. They are part of an effort that legitimizes a country that still stones people to death. The WWE are being used. Perhaps they know they are and were OK to take the money. If that's the case then as mentioned, they deserve all the shit they're going to get with this.

Its a moral quandary, I absolutely get your point.

1 minute ago, Factotum said:

I disagree. As people, I don't really care what wrestlers/owners are like. It is entertainment and unless it is something illegal people are doing, then like most entertainment, I can separate the person with the art. Perhaps hypocritical, but i can see that as two different things.

My issues come with wider stuff like this. Whether they like it or not, this is a political move by the WWE. To strike a deal with such a country with its human rights record all for the money, just stinks. They are part of an effort that legitimizes a country that still stones people to death.

America straps people into a chair and electrocutes them. What's the difference?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

I certainly can't see the Rock nipping over for cash or company loyalty after this debacle. 

He's bigger than the WWE. Better, too. 

The Rock is the interesting one. I think we all assumed that he was done with wrestling actual matches, with the outside chance of doing them one last favour, but no one had really considered that there might be a situation where he could actually make more money from wrestling one match than he could be making in Hollywood - until the Saudi deal came along.

I said when The Rock was first rumoured to be working Saudi Arabia that it was a much bigger risk for him than for the rest of WWE, because he's a huge mainstream star, and has something of a "woke" nice guy reputation - hell, there was (ridiculously) even talk of him running for President. As far as I'm aware, his career has been entirely scandal free, and the risk of him working a show as news breaks that the Saudis have murdered another journalist, or that they were crucifying someone for sorcery and sodomy just up the road from where he was having his big wrestling match, could be disastrous.

In the past, I know he's basically worked on a handshake with WWE, so it may be that he's not tied into anything, and it's all plain sailing - and maybe he's a nice enough guy to shrug off the millions of dollars he'd have been paid if the show doesn't go ahead - but if he's signed anything guaranteeing him that kind of fee? Could be a whole different story.

1 minute ago, BomberPat said:

In the past, I know he's basically worked on a handshake with WWE, so it may be that he's not tied into anything, and it's all plain sailing - and maybe he's a nice enough guy to shrug off the millions of dollars he'd have been paid if the show doesn't go ahead - but if he's signed anything guaranteeing him that kind of fee? Could be a whole different story.

Wrestling is a physical activity, I'm sure if things were looking less attractive than they were when any such deal was signed he could become "injured" and unable to appear. Something that would avoid embarrassment for any of the parties involved.

Trump himself makes a fuckload of money from the Saudis and his administration makes even more.  As David said, WWE seem like easy pickings.  They're going there to put on a show, our government sell them weapons that they use to kill Yemeni's.  It's raw capitalism, they're both making money.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Trump himself makes a fuckload of money from the Saudis and his administration makes even more.  As David said, WWE seem like easy pickings.  They're going there to put on a show, our government sell them weapons that they use to kill Yemeni's.  It's raw capitalism, they're both making money.

Trump was asked on the news about if he’d walk away from Saudi, considering their weapons deal (selling to Saudi) is in high billions.

He basically said it would be bad news if we ever had to do so. 

In his, Vince and many other minds this will blow over, as usual.

15 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

In his, Vince and many other minds this will blow over, as usual.

They'd be right. Sad as it is, this was "just" a journalist, wasn't it? And said journo wasn't even the right colour or nationality to really create a stir.

This time next year it'll be back to business as usual, which is why I would be really surprised if WWE were willing to risk a 10 year deal or whatever it is for something so short-term.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

unless you're a saint like BomberPat. 

I still watched the first Saudi show and, in all honesty, cancelling my Network subscription recently was as much about changing tastes, time and financial constraints as anything else - the continuing Saudi involvement was just one more nail in the coffin.

I don't really begrudge people continuing to watch WWE in spite of this. With how involved the UK and US governments are with Saudi Arabia, it seems such a hopeless, futile gesture to get angry about WWE specifically taking their money and producing their propaganda. 

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

I still watched the first Saudi show and, in all honesty, cancelling my Network subscription recently was as much about changing tastes, time and financial constraints as anything else - the continuing Saudi involvement was just one more nail in the coffin.

I don't really begrudge people continuing to watch WWE in spite of this. With how involved the UK and US governments are with Saudi Arabia, it seems such a hopeless, futile gesture to get angry about WWE specifically taking their money and producing their propaganda. 

It wasn't meant a dig, and I wish more people would stop giving Vince money. The world would be a better place. Or at least he might reign in the hubris and Make Wrestling Great Again.

Archived