WWE Crown Jewel

Kaz Hayashi

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

If Crown Jewel remains a welcome reward for enough people's nine-ninety-nines the situation will be just grand, I'm sure.

I was wondering about that.

I've cancelled my Network subscription - partly because I felt I couldn't in good faith complain about the Saudi Arabia shows while still paying for them - but these shows are completely bought up front, right? If the Saudi royal family are giving WWE tens of millions of dollars, and they're happy to downgrade to aĀ muchĀ smaller arena, the gate obviously doesn't matter to them, and I can't imagine Network subscriptions do either. When it's all paid for already, do people's Network fees even make a difference?

• Paid Members

I think this would be a bigger story at a different time or in a different place. But in a country where the current acceptable face of politics is Donald Trump, I just don't see a huge enough backlash even though this is morally iffy. I'm sure it will be frowned upon by a load of people who don't currently watch, sponsor or show their product but probably not by the people who do. Or not enough of them anyway.

Like it or not, despite their human rights violations, their backwards attitudes to homosexuality, their archaic views on crime and punishment - there is a lot of business going on with these states in the middle east, a lot of sports cosying up to them and a lot of governments snuggling close for some mutual dick stroking. We know why. Money. Oil. Oil money. I'm not at all sure this is right for WWE but they're far from alone.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Sheffbag said:

Seamus?

On 10/11/2018 at 12:11 PM, bigfoote said:

Finn (ļ»æļ»æļ»æIRE)ļ»æ

Ā 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I think this would be a bigger story at a different time or in a different place. But in a country where the current acceptable face of politics is Donald Trump, I just don't see a huge enough backlash even though this is morally iffy. I'm sure it will be frowned upon by a load of people who don't currenļ»ætly watch, sponsor or show their product but probably not by the people who do. Or not enough of them anyway.ļ»æ

Like it or not, despite their human rights violations, their backwards attitudes to homosexuality, their archaic views on crime and punishment - there is a lot of business going on with these states in the middle east, a lot of sports cosying up to them and a lot of governments snuggling close for some mutual dick stroking. We know why. Money. Oil. Oil money. I'm not at all sure this is right for WWE but they're far from alone.

Yeah, won't make a blind bit of difference, sadly.Ā 

Donald Trump's response was completely (predictably) wrong-headed on just about every level - a man clearly out of his depth, having no idea how to deal with such a delicate situation, yet still managed to all but say that he sells too many weapons to Saudi Arabia to make a fuss, and that the journalist murdered wasn't important because he wasn't a US citizen.

Meanwhile, you've got Jeremy Hunt talking about how the UK and Saudi Arabia's "friendship" is built on "shared values".Ā 

There's no fucker in a position that counts who's remotely prepared to say a bad word about them, it's infuriating.

Well if they pull out not only will they lose a load of money, but that will be a clear case of them making a political stand which would implicate multiple people within the company.

Are they contractually obligated to provide more shows over there or will they be able to just not go back? They could maybe ghost them a bitĀ 

1 minute ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Well if they pull out not only will they lose a load of money, but that will be a clear case of them making a political stand which would implicate multiple people within the company.

Are they contractually obligated to provide more shows over there or will they be able to just not go back? They could maybe ghost them a bitĀ 

Ten year arrangement isn't it?Ā  Not sure how legally binding the deal is mindĀ 

4 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I was wondering about that.

I've cancelled my Network subscription - partly because I felt I couldn't in good faith complain about the Saudi Arabia shows while still paying for them - but these shows are completely bought up front, right? If the Saudi royal family are giving WWE tens of millions of dollars, and they're happy to downgrade to aĀ muchĀ smaller arena, the gate obviously doesn't matter to them, and I can't imagine Network subscriptions do either. When it's all paid for already, do people's Network fees even make a difference?

What I meant was that if WWE's audience still appears willing to watch the event, then it will be taken as approval of the partnership and therefore WWE needn't worry about losing customers going forward. The important money for this particular show might not depend on Network subs but they'll be trying to assess the knock-on effect of this controversy.

14 minutes ago, Bohan said:

Ten year arrangement isn't it?Ā  Not sure how legally binding the deal is mindĀ 

Yeah but are they required to provide a certain amount of events per year over that ten years? If they have a penalty fee for pulling out from the deal they might not be able to afford to without going bankruptĀ 

Archived