WWE Crown Jewel

Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

I imagine WWE will see it out. Yes, it’s going to bring bad press, but I imagine it’ll be span at board meetings that yes, while it will affect the share price over the next couple of news cycles, once everyone’s moved on WWE will still be getting that sweet, sweet Saudi money, income will be higher than ever, and the share price will recover.

690.jpg

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I reckon they'll bottle it. By the time Monday comes round I think they'll feel too uncomfortable giving the show the hard sell it's been getting so far. According to Meltzer, the back up plan is for everything to be moved to Survivor Series, at which point they'll likely lose their arse having to pay Brock and Shawn their expected fees for a much smaller, self-financed show.

It's amazing how things work out. Between Linda's desperation to be involved in politics landing her in Trump's cabinet and Vince's money-grabbing Saudi deal, they must have known they were playing with fire to begin with. It couldn't have gone much worse.

It's a shame we won't get any more photos of another LADS meal though.

image.png.1e4a57a579074e37025c745311a1b810.png

• Paid Members

If I had to put a tenner on it, I'd bet they still go. Sure, they are going to get some bad PR, but it won't affect them as much financially as losing this huge ten year deal. It'll really depend what kind of contract they have with the Saudis. If WWE have to pay for the shows that they don't put on, then you can bet your ass they will be in The Kingdom lickity split. If WWE were worried about positive PR as much as making money, then they wouldn't have signed this deal to begin with. 

Thing is though, there are fuckloads of US businesses who deal with the Sauds, including many that the higher ups in the Trump administration are part of.  WWE should do a Steiner and say "Great, get them to announce they're ceasing their business interests and we can do it together".  I'd be amazed if they pull out of this lucrative deal.

• Paid Members

The only way they'll cancel is if sponsors/TV networks get cold feet. If FOX threaten to pull their big new TV contract over this, that's WWE caught between a rock and a hard place.

While it's on nothing like the same scale, it was pressure from sponsors that got them to drop Moolah's name from the Wrestlemania Battle Royal, and it will be external pressure that gets them to stop here. But so many US businesses deal with Saudi Arabia that even that would be a sticky situation - though I wouldn't put it past one or two of them to focus their attention on WWE purely to be seen as objecting to Saudi shenanigans. 

The WWE event is mentioned at the seven minute mark, with another "you can't see these human rights abuses" rib on Cena at the end of the clip.

Pretty mental to see. As a fan you always sort of sit up and take notice when your weird interest is mentioned on something other than the usual Conan/Larry King type channels. I'd thought there was no chance they'd pull out of this but I'm starting to see how it could happen when you look at a clip like this, where they've actually gone and shown bits of the show where Michael Cole is telling the viewers what a wonderful, progressive city they are in. 

What a tragically awkward situation they're in. It's unlikely nowadays but I wonder will Vince stick his neck out and do the whole WWE-as-Rocky "the media always picks on the underdog" shit he used to always pull. 

Fuck them. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, TildeGuy~! said:

They’ll cancel this show and push everything to Survivor Series surely?

They're apparently tied into a 10 year deal with the Saudis, so who knows if they even can cancel it at this point?

And if they've already promised Michaels and Lesnar huge money to work this show, they're going to be losing their arse paying out the same fee from the coffers, rather than from the Saudi blood money slush fund. Even worse if they have other big names on top already for either this or the April show - I'm expecting a Hogan appearance at one or the other, and rumour is that they want The Rock for April, so if they've already put up the money, could be an absolute disaster.

Yeah I can't see The Rock turning up in April now. It is of no benefit to him at all. He doesn't need the bad press or the money.

Quite frankly it serves WWE right. From Trump to the Saudi's, they have associated themselves with awful people . Its about time it blew up in their face.

Archived