WWE Crown Jewel

Kaz Hayashi

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/15/2018 at 10:01 AM, Gay as FOOK said:

The WWE event is mentioned at the seven minute mark, with another "you can't see these human rights abuses" rib on Cena at the end of the clip.

Pretty mental to see. As a fan you always sort of sit up and take notice when your weird interest is mentioned on something other than the usual Conan/Larry King type channels. I'd thought there was no chance they'd pull out of this but I'm starting to see how it could happen when you look at a clip like this, where they've actually gone and shown bits of the show where Michael Cole is telling the viewers what a wonderful, progressive city they are in. 

What a tragically awkward situation they're in. It's unlikely nowadays but I wonder will Vince stick his neck out and do the whole WWE-as-Rocky "the media always picks on the underdog" shit he used to always pull. 

Fuck them. 

1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It’s discussed on this weeks Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. Entire segment dedicated to Saudi Arabia and has a few mentions of WWE. They whole thing, and Americas/Trumps involvement is disgusting 

It's not that a big a thread, dude!

WWE's tacit acknowledgement that there's a problem (by suddenly not mentioning Saudi Arabia during a three-hour Raw, nor Crown Jewel in its online recap) only highlights the cowardice/greed in their decision to go ahead with the show.

If you believe you're justified in being there, then have the courage of your convictions and promote the event and its glorious hosts the same way you always have. If you feel you can't, then you know and admit you're doing the wrong thing.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Louch said:

Scottish Sun saying it’s been cancelled now going by a link I seen shared 

Not quite, it's been removed from their event calendar, not cancelled. Just means they're keeping quiet.

• Paid Members

My prediction is

- Show to go ahead as scheduled
- No outside Stadium shots

-No bragging about how great Saudi Arabia is

- No John Cena thank you's

- Prayer break used to show some WWE UK matches

- No video packages of Saudi Arabia

- No or few mentions of Saudi Arabia on commentary 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

My prediction is

- Show to go ahead as scheduled
- No outside Stadium shots

-No bragging about how great Saudi Arabia is

- No John Cena thank you's

- Prayer break used to show some WWE UK matches

- No video packages of Saudi Arabia

- No or few mentions of Saudi Arabia on commentary 

Isn't this whole thing a complete vanity project by the Saudis though? They're basically paying WWE to 'put them over'

Can't imagine WWE downplaying everything during the show will go down well.

It'll be interesting to see how they swing it. 

• Paid Members

Based on the previous Saudi show, I'd assume the propaganda "talk about how progressive Saudi Arabia is" element is part of the contract. The show isn't about bringing WWE to Saudi Arabia, it's about being a shop window for Saudi Arabia in the West. 

But does the contract state they must put them over in English? Rusev could do it in Bulgarian while appearing to rant incoherently at his opponent...

I reckon the Saudis will let them downplay the propaganda element this time but it'll be back the next.

It'll be hilarious if they go all evening not mentioning where they are while the wrestlers perform to a crowd of nearly all men wearing Arabic dress.

Stolen from a wrestlezone so take with a pinch of salt but apparently WWE coud lose 16m cos of this Saudi Arabia mess.

Eric Handler of MKM Partners maintains a buy rating on the stock, with a 12-month price target of $95. It closed today’s trading session at $83.98, down a fraction. Handler estimates a decision to delay or cancel the wrestling circuit’s November 2 “Crown Jewel” event in Saudi Arabia, or move it out of the country, could cause a $2 million-$3 million hit to fourth-quarter cash flow.

“WWE has been quiet,” Handler wrote. The Raw promotional tactic “leads us to believe management is exploring the possibility of moving the event outside the country,” he added.

Were the company to go beyond the Crown Jewel event and walk away from its 10-year, multi-platform partnership, the hit to 2019 operating income would range from $12 million-$16 million, Handler estimates. He called that “not an inconsequential number, but far less impactful than WWE’s new TV contracts” with networks including Fox.

Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund took a minority stake in Deadline and Variety owner PMC earlier this year for a reported $200 million.

Archived