Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Or maybe he just didn't want to waste money on unnecessary signings? No point in just signing people for the sake of it. The fact that we were only really linked with one player all summer speaks volumes to me. 

Yes, some teams have improved, but we should be happy with what we've got, Sissoko aside.

We do not have the squad depth in terms of talent on the bench (and, debatable maybe, in some of our first XI positions) to mount a serious title challenge, let alone fight on multiple fronts in Europe and domestic cups.

I get that we have basically a £1bn stadium to pay for but Levy himself said that the stadium build wouldn't affect player transfers. I guess what he meant by that was that there wouldn't be any players transferred in.

I am happy with how we've progressed from where we were under Sherwood to where we are now but the detractors who say, well, they've won fuck all have a point. And if Levy/Lewis are either unwilling or unable to invest in the squad where it's needed so that we can compete, they need to accept that and sell the club. Spurs are a highly attractive proposition for anyone with deep pockets and an itch to win some league and European titles.

Liverpool are the best example right now of a club who, similarly to Spurs, brought in a highly regarded manager who built a good, solid side that just fell short of winning the Champions League at the final hurdle. So what did they do? They didn't rest on their laurels. They've went out and got business done that most likely now has them as the team within touching distance of City. What did we do when we've just fallen short a few seasons in a row? Fuck all and apparently starting Luke Amos on Saturday.

There comes a point where "Hey, we're just happy to be here" (the Champions League, top three) isn't enough any more. Poch asked the club to be bold and take risks. Well, they've certainly risked a shit load by doing nothing in this window. It's not good enough. It's not Levy Out time just yet, but we aren't far away.

34 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Sorry, that's a nonsense. Swansea had a good squad. Silva walked into a club who then sold Livermore and Snodgrass in the first month, had Ryan Mason's career ended and had to recruit 7 players with only money for one fee. He completely changed the style of play and the system in the first team and it rippled down. He revitalised Huddlestone, developed Maguire, blooded two teenagers, got performances out of Markovic, saved Niasse's Everton career, made a £16m player of Clucas (who moved today for £6m). He did a year's work in a month. 

Fair enough you obviously paid closer attention than myself, I just saw the similarities of two shit hopeless clubs who brought in managers who turned them around but ultimately fell short. I forgot he had Markovich looking like a player too. Still free to a good home. 

Did your lot not try to loan our Wilson again? He looked full of promise in his Hull outings that I caught. Hopefully kicks on and stays injury free this year, lads got goals in him.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Briefcase said:

Yeah he will be the first person to be sacked which will be the end of the season. When you look at the other managers and investment made I don't think there will be many managers leaving during the season. 

The investments are even more reason why there will be sackings before the end of the season. Every club (well, almost every club, right Levy?) has invested and in turn expects to see their investments pay off. But 20 doesn't go into a top 4, or 6, or whatever each club's expectations are. Clubs will inevitably fall short of targets and managers will be sacked.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

The investments are even more reason why there will be sackings before the end of the season. Every club (well, almost every club, right Levy?) has invested and in turn expects to see their investments pay off. But 20 doesn't go into a top 4, or 6, or whatever each club's expectations are. Clubs will inevitably fall short of targets and managers will be sacked.

In the last 5 years and I right in thinking that Chelsea, Arsenal, Man United, Liverpool, and Tottenham have all finished outside the top 4 at some point. City are the only ever present and their expectations must be to at least win it again and probably add in the Champions League. The other 5 are all fighting for 3 places and that is where their expectations lie at least. For everyone else the money spent is just an investment in trying not to be relegated. I genuinely believe anyone outside the top 6 could be relegated no matter how much they have spent. All that matters is the TV money, and if they have to spend all of that to stay in the league then they will. 

• Paid Members

Interesting that in a window where two goalkeepers have come for £65m+, the met expensive PL striker signing was Mitrovic for Fulham. Usually the big bucks is spent on front men.

On Spurs, I think it's creditable that they haven't bought for the sake of it. I get that a lot will be down to belt tightening with the stadium to pay for but when you've got a squad as deep as theirs and a lot of youngish players, you don't have to buy. I don't see many players who've gone to the other top 5/6 clubs who would have improved Spurs. It's a brave decision to gamble a bit on Chelsea and Arsenal not having strengthened enough to overhaul them but not unreasonable.

Honestly, I find the "but everyone else buys players" argument fucking senseless. You buy players to improve. If they don't improve you, what's the point? I don't think City or United have bought to improve their squad. Both could easily have done nothing and been no worse off IMO. Might be wrong if Fred and Mahrez are wonderful but I wouldn't bet on it.

I wouldn't credit Spurs for not signing anyone. I'd discredit the recruitment team of the third best team in England for not being able to find one single player to improve the squad. Spurs being Spurs though they'll probably unearth a gem or two from the u23's. 

• Paid Members

Spurs finished 3rd last season and really need to be aiming to improve on that, and/or winning a trophy. If the squad wasn't good enough last season (where they were worse than the previous season), why assume it will be good enough this season? I think it's complacent. Well it's not, it's clearly keeping an eye on finances due to the stadium, but they won't come out and say that.

They could have definitely improved in CM and LB for a start. Chelsea and Liverpool brought in defensive midfielders that are widely considered better than Eric Dier. Torreira certainly looked better than him at the World Cup. If Danny Rose continues to be frozen out, is there nobody out there better than Ben Davies? Of course there is. Spurs didn't need to buy for the sake of buying, they needed to buy because their squad needs (and deserves) it.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I have no idea what a good signing for United would have been. Centre half wasn't the main concern in this team. He's already bought two of them in the last 2 years, and he doesnt seem to fancy them now. My concern is Mourinho doesnt seem to be able to get the best out of what he's already got. You look at a team with De Gea, Lukaku, Matic, Sanchez, Martial and Pogba. You shouldnt be going into games thinking they'll get over ran and lose possession. I look at that and think if you had a manager who allowed this team of players to take risks and express themselves, you wouldn't be going to Anfield and putting 11 men behind the ball. Cant see Mourinho getting the sack as early as he tends to with this board at United. I'll say just after Christmas. They didnt even sack Moyes until they worked out the Maths, so save a few quid.

Give it Giggsy til international brek!

Brilliant post that sums it up. Genuinely, I can't remember going into a season with such dour expectations. Mourinho seems like such a spent force now, one that is so disgusted by his own mediocrity that he'll gladly spend a season blaming anything but himself.

11 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Is the lack of activity at United about them keeping their powder dry for the next guy by any chance? If that's so then they should have bit the bullet and sacked Jose off now.

If you believe the rumours, United have an eye on Zizou come January. I doubt many United fans will grumble at it too.

• Paid Members

I haven't gone into a season as unsure as where we will finish in some time. Could see it being anywhere from 10th to 3rd. We've made some decent signings, but if it is going to be a rebuilding season, it'll be judged by how much use the likes of Loftus-Cheek and CHO, rather than giving players like Pedro and Drinkwater minutes.

We go into a season with 4 academy players who legitimately might be there to play, rather than make up numbers. It's exciting, but we have been here before to some extent and done fuck all, albeit with managers arguably less prone to use the YUUF.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, PunkStep said:

They could have definitely improved in CM and LB for a start. Chelsea and Liverpool brought in defensive midfielders that are widely considered better than Eric Dier. Torreira certainly looked better than him at the World Cup. If Danny Rose continues to be frozen out, is there nobody out there better than Ben Davies? Of course there is. Spurs didn't need to buy for the sake of buying, they needed to buy because their squad needs (and deserves) it.

They've got Wanyama, Dembele and Dier in central midfield. Rose and Davies at LB. You're talking £20m+ to marginally improve. I genuinely think they're the only club who get that. Obviously Levy is tighter than a gnat's chuff but he's not stupid. If it continues window on window when players get older and complacent then fine, criticise. But not spending for spending's sake for one window is sensible.

They can improve by improving players too and learning from previous mistake. They have half a squad who are peak age to do that. Remember when that used to be how football worked?

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

I haven't gone into a season as unsure as where we will finish in some time. Could see it being anywhere from 10th to 3rd. We've made some decent signings, but if it is going to be a rebuilding season, it'll be judged by how much use the likes of Loftus-Cheek and CHO, rather than giving players like Pedro and Drinkwater minutes.

We go into a season with 4 academy players who legitimately might be there to play, rather than make up numbers. It's exciting, but we have been here before to some extent and done fuck all, albeit with managers arguably less prone to use the YUUF.

You reckon Ampadu will get much in the way of time off the bench and the like this season?