D.Bryan cleared for in ring action

Otto Dem Wanz

6 hours ago, BomberPat said:

He's never faced Shinsuke Nakamura, and it's a dream match for both of them - and a ton of history too, as it's a match they've both been pushing for years, even while in different companies, and they used to live together back in the day (along with Lyoto Machida).

They've wrestled in tags against each other back in the day in New Japan but never a singles match.

Bryan back hosts so many possibilities!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

It's the right move for ratings. It's not as fun.

Totally disagree with that. They could have closed the show with it, created a buzz and the following week ratings would have been up for people who wanted to hear the speech we just had and get all the details etc. 

Announcing stuff like this just makes me feel like I don’t need to watch every week, because any really good stuff will be announced before hand. The key to ratings is can’t miss TV, the way WWE handled it makes TV easy to miss.

They could have at least closed the show with the Owens/Zayn segment then opened the following week with the speech. Maybe even used social media to tease it. WWE.com running an article called “has Bryan gotten clearance to wrestle” would have been fun 

1 hour ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Totally disagree with that. They could have closed the show with it, created a buzz and the following week ratings would have been up for people who wanted to hear the speech we just had and get all the details etc. 

Announcing stuff like this just makes me feel like I don’t need to watch every week, because any really good stuff will be announced before hand. The key to ratings is can’t miss TV, the way WWE handled it makes TV easy to miss.

They could have at least closed the show with the Owens/Zayn segment then opened the following week with the speech. Maybe even used social media to tease it. WWE.com running an article called “has Bryan gotten clearance to wrestle” would have been fun 

People have YouTube, they're not going to wait an entire week to see what they missed out on. 

Announcing it before hand means that a score of people with access to watch it on the night will be on board. I'd have thought it's pretty obvious it's an effective move for ratings? We all walk around with The Matrix in our pockets and there's no avoiding it. Revealing a huge event before the fact is the new 'anything can happen, so don't miss it!'. 

Maybe it's an indictment of the writing team and style of presentation but I don't think you can go back to some white hot, late 90s can't-miss-TV mentality. It's all about getting event visibility, nowadays. A huge section of the audience aren't even going to watch it on whatever network it airs on, anyway. If you can get the kind of people who'd never contribute to TV viewership anyway to at least stream it and hashtag that shit, it's big and important to the WWE. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Nah I don't think that would be the case. If you have it as a surprise, there's no ratings spike for that episode. The following week will probably have a spike, but that's a whole week away. Making the announcement hours before the show is probably the best way to get an even higher rating for the show- especially if they don't really add much more beyond 'Daniel Bryan has been cleared' as the announcement. People will tune in to see him back as a wrestler, what will he say, what's he going to do etc. Then the following week you've still got eyes on the show as they want to see what he will do about Owens/Zayn.

49 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Nah I don't think that would be the case. If you have it as a surprise, there's no ratings spike for that episode. The following week will probably have a spike, but that's a whole week away. Making the announcement hours before the show is probably the best way to get an even higher rating for the show- especially if they don't really add much more beyond 'Daniel Bryan has been cleared' as the announcement. People will tune in to see him back as a wrestler, what will he say, what's he going to do etc. Then the following week you've still got eyes on the show as they want to see what he will do about Owens/Zayn.

Well the actual announcement wasn’t a spike in ratings at all, because it was on their Facebook page. In both cases it would be the episode that follows the announcement/angle which draws the ratings.

A few hours worth of build surely can’t be worth more than a weeks worth of build? That goes against the entire format of a wrestling show. No benefits come from doing it online as opposed to on air. Every positive of announcing online applies exactly the same as if it happened on air and then was talked about online. Except doing it on air means the following article has a video with fans going nuts.

Ratings spiked this week, had it been announced last week we’d have still seen that spike. Maybe more of a spike, because word would have had more time to spread 

40 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Yeah but it would have been leaked before SD anyway as the news had filtered out to wrestling media, by the sounds of WOR and the like, so it's a moot point anyway.

I didn’t see anything, had word leaked out properly before the announcement? I doubt many people would have believed it until they saw it and WWE are capable of keeping a secret when they really want to. 

5 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I didn’t see anything, had word leaked out properly before the announcement? I doubt many people would have believed it until they saw it and WWE are capable of keeping a secret when they really want to. 

There were articles on the NEWZ~! websites that Bryan had declined a ‘toned down’ Wrestlemania match, but other than that I didn’t see anything. 

As much as we would have loved a surprise announcement on a live show, I suppose for Vince higher TV ratings trumps live pops and that’s no surprise really. 

• Paid Members

I'd like to think he's going to be used as a special attraction for now. Let him shake off the rust in his Mania match alongside Shane, keep him to a reduced workload. Him and Miz at Summerslam is a no-brainer, or even build it to next Mania. Have them on opposite teams at Survivor Series. One eliminates the other during the Rumble and suchlike to keep the heat there, as well as whatever barbs are flung around on Social Media. Brie in Daniel's corner to counteract Maryse in Miz's(not a mixed tag, though). There's a lot can be done with it.

• Paid Members

This contest is scheduled for x falls, 4x + 4y = 16 and 6y - 2x = 16 also, where y is a prime number </= 7. Solve for x.

Archived