The Batshit World of Noel Edmonds

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

I posted it when he was originally mentioned in the other thread but this article written by Jon Ronson about the behind the scenes of Deal or No Deal during it's peak in the mid-2000's is an excellent read.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2006/oct/21/broadcasting.arts

The bit in there about making sure contestants spend all their time together to get this forced sense of companionship rings true - I was on an Endemol show last year, and they have all the contestants booked in the same hotel, and after the morning briefing of how things work, you're ostensibly free to go off and do your own thing, but they timetable two or three team meetings a day that you're required to attend, so that actually most people would decide that they'd be better off just staying at the hotel. So either you hide yourselves away in your room swotting up on strategies, or - more likely - you head to the bar, and end up spending the whole time with other contestants. Whenever they book a car to pick you up, they tell you it'll be there about an hour before it actually is, so everyone's standing around waiting together, and you end up having to talk to one another - no one dares leave, because the car could get here any minute, but at least you've got an ice-breaker in "I wonder how long it's going to take this time?". Then, once you're taken to the studio, you're all shoved in the green room together until it's about half an hour until you're due to go on, at which case you're ferried off into separate dressing rooms.

In my case, it was all filmed in Holland, too, which gave it an extra layer of weirdness and isolation, and feeling like everything was completely out of our hands. Sadly no Edmonds, though.

I don't know if you'd class this as him being mental or just finding a way round something, but there was a story of him owning his own Black Cab complete with a mannequin dressed up to look like his wife so he can drive in the Bus/Taxi lane, which he called an "action against time-theives" 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/8307304.stm

Edited by WyattSheepMask
Spelling errors

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I don't know if you'd class this as him being mental or just finding a way round something, but there was a story of him owning his own Black Cab complete with a mannequin dressed up to look like his wife so he can drive in the Bus/Taxi lane, which he called an "action against time-theives" 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/8307304.stm

Dave Gorman did a bit about it on an episode of Modern Life Is Good(ish) this past series. I've got a friend who owns a black cab. He says there's a great view from the slightly elevated driver's seat, good fuel economy, plenty of space for passengers, shopping etc and very reasonably priced insurance as long as you demonstrate to the insurer that you've no intention of using it as a taxi.

Plus I guess if you've got somebody in the back you can use the bus lanes.