The Celebrity Sexual Harassment and Rapists Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator

I must have missed this story, but John Lasseter has left Disney because of Bayley fandom.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/08/business/media/john-lasseter-leaves-disney.html

Joking aside, this is a huge blow to who is essentially the heart and brains of Pixar. What now for them?

Edited by Onyx2

• Moderators

Yeah, just dreadful. And this is one of those ones that's such a jarring opposite to the cheery public persona, there's no way he can ignore it and try to ride it out. I'm guessing we get a statement about "going away for a while to re-evaluate myself" in the next couple of days, and everything from his empire goes on hiatus, never to return.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

I just don't understand blokes like that. I think a lot of us(me included) will have maybe been a bit possessive in the past due to the fear of losing someone(total lack of self esteem was my issue, which the right woman cured me of!),but I could never imagine treating someone like Hardwick is accused of there.Ā 

• Awards Moderator

Thanks for posting that @Astro HollywoodĀ - where did you find it's Hardwick she's talking about? (Just as she doesn't name him specifically in the piece). Now I'm off to delete the episodes of his podcast I never got round to.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

31 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

Yeah, just dreadful. And this is one of those ones that's such a jarring opposite to the cheery public persona, there's no way he can ignore it and try to ride it out. I'm guessing we get a statement about "going away for a while to re-evaluate myself" in the next couple of days, and everything from his empire goes on hiatus, never to return.

I dunno, the combination of people not always really wrapping their heads around emotional abuse and the accused being a big figure for the shitey types that tend to defend makes me pessimistic about how this plays out... I really hope I'm wrong though, cases like this (the Aziz one too) should provide an opportunity for people to reflect on the forms abuse can take and possibly even cause some people to rethink how they conduct themselves.. maybe

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Thanks for posting that @Astro HollywoodĀ - where did you find it's Hardwick she's talking about? (Just as she doesn't name him specifically in the piece). Now I'm off to delete the episodes of his podcast I never got round to.

They dated publicly for years, he's the age-range mentioned, hosts panels on the convention circuit, and they even talked about the ectopic pregnancy on one of his podcasts.

• Paid Members

For sake, what a dickhead. Thanks for posting that. He can go and fuck himself.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Thankfully I've never heard of him nor seen /Ā watched / listened to anything he's in so I don't have the question of whether to boycott him or not.

I avoidĀ him anyway, as he's always come across as a complete dickhead to me. I used to listen to a a podcast called Never Not Funny which would have regular guests on, one of which was Hardwick and he was the only one I got a shitty creepy vibe off of. And he wasn't funny. I can remember him telling a story about Carmen Electra saying that Prince would only let he speak to him when he spoke to her when they were together, and it seems like he was taking notes.Ā 

• Paid Members

He's also a recovering alcoholic which she mentions in her post. what an absolutely dark read that was, It reminded me of the Justin Lee CollinsĀ thing from a few years ago.Ā It is such a stark contrast to his on-air personality, admittedly, I've only seen him on Talking Dead.

• Paid Members

It's worrying that I've seen Tweets with reference to this today from people claiming that this isn't abuse. One woman (or Russian #MAGA bot, who knows these days) on Twitter said that he didn't make her do anything, and that at most he guilted her into sex.

I think it's really upsetting that people cannot see this as abusive, just because it isn't physical. This is CLEARLY psychological abuse. I've worked with so many women that have been in situations like this in the past, it's awful.