The Celebrity Sexual Harassment and Rapists Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I've said it before about wrestling, but I don't think anything will come of Angel Amoroso's allegations - true or not, I think the wider world just assumes that wrestling must be a horrendous cesspit, so won't really touch it with a bargepole regardless. To get any kind of Weinstein-esque broader media coverage on it, it would have to either be something truly horrific that happened, or have to involve someone like Hogan.

Not that it should matter, but it doesn't help that she was a worker - there's going to be the typical "well, you kept working with these people, so it can't have been that big a deal" criticism, but also, can you get anything more untrustworthy than a down on their luck ex-wrestler? True or not, that coupled with the way she's trying to expose it with a YouTube video of the ilk you'd find on any conspiracy nutter's account, isn't going to help her case - it comes across more like people on the David Icke forums screaming about Illuminati child sex rings than a serious allegation, not helped by the only other video on her account being from Tom Valentine, a far-right, anti-Semitic conspiracy theorists.

Flair - and plenty of others - are in the video too; I wouldn't be surprised if someone has already tried to match timelines to figure out how viable her allegations are. I can't watch the video with sound as I'm at work, but what's the content of the Paul E promo that apparently "admits" that he abused her?

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

I think they have a lot more to lose in terms of PR with regards to make a wish and with women related cancer charities etc. Linda is also in the Trump administration regarding small business. 

I think they are potentially a bigger target than ever before. It just requires one reporter to think ‘fuck it’ and start digging.

However, no one will give a shit about a messed up wrestler making accusations. It would need to come from a child or celebrity for anything to gain traction. Until then, I agree that little will happen... but if it did, it could be disastrous.

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I've said it before about wrestling, but I don't think anything will come of Angel Amoroso's allegations - true or not, I think the wider world just assumes that wrestling must be a horrendous cesspit, so won't really touch it with a bargepole regardless. To get any kind of Weinstein-esque broader media coverage on it, it would have to either be something truly horrific that happened, or have to involve someone like Hogan.

This is the thing for me: even after all the stuff that even wrestling fans know and are the worst-kept secrets ever, nothing ever happens. And look what happened with Benoit - that was in the mainstream media, wrestling was placed under scrutiny for probably the first time ever, and still no questions were asked, no investigations or enquiries made.

• Paid Members

There needs to be the impetus from the media - and while Linda is in Trump's administration, she's still a bit of a non-entity, and while losing their sponsorship/charity deals would be a major blow to WWE, it wouldn't make ripples in the mainstream press. Like Carbomb says, if WWE can come out of Benoit relatively unscathed, it would take something huge to really turn the pressure up - they're adept at taking a bad situation and presenting it as a one-off, or a freak occurrence, rather than indicative of the whole culture of the place.

Plenty of women have accused WWE, Vince, or specific wrestlers of sexual assault and harassment - Ashley Massaro, Sable, Mickie James and Nicole Bass just off the top of my head. When you hear some of the "ribs" pulled on male workers, it's not hard to imagine that the women must have to put up with all kinds of shit beyond that, before you even start getting into the Marty Jannettys of the world openly bragging about sexual assault in shoot interviews. Problem is, they're all workers, and the general public are always going to assume that workers are working. Throw in that wrestling is historically such a closed business, and will always pull rank to protect their own, and I don't see anything ever changing, at least not in WWE.

I honestly think that the only person in the position to cause significant damage to WWE is Hulk Hogan. Hogan will always be the go-to "wrestler" in the popular imagination. The mainstream press don't care about Mick Foley, Paul Heyman or Dave Meltzer sleeping with a teenager in the '90s, or Marty Jannetty drugging women, but if they could pin something on Hogan, that could be the catalyst for a much broader look into this sort of thing in pro-wrestling - especially in the current climate - and I'm sure there are plenty of journalists out there who want to dig into this shit, but their editors aren't convinced there's enough public interest.

What's more interesting to me is how indie wrestling deals with this - short of a major scandal, WWE can weather a storm, but there are a lot of indie promotions that could be sunk by a consumer boycott. Given that a lot of fuss already gets made in certain circles around companies continuing to book wrestlers with histories of domestic abuse and sexual assault, or with far-right proclivities, I wonder where the tipping point is - or if there even is one, maybe the majority of people are still happy to shrug this stuff off so long as they enjoy the show. But there definitely seems to be more of an immediate need for indie promotions and wrestlers to self-police this sort of behaviour, even if purely to protect themselves.

I feel for any indie wrestler in the position of having to speak out about this sort of thing, though - they're in a position not too dissimilar to a lot of young actresses around the Weinsteins of the world, in that they're freelancers in a competitive industry, when the word of one or two influential people could make or break your career, and it's easy to get unofficially blackballed if you're considered "difficult", and there's no real framework to protect yourself. At least actors get a union.

On a non-wrestling note, given his recent comments, how long before skeletons start coming out of Morrissey's closet, then?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Flair - and plenty of others - are in the video too; I wouldn't be surprised if someone has already tried to match timelines to figure out how viable her allegations are.

In the least, she's lying about her age. At points, the timeline she presents seems to suggest she was 15 while she was in ECW? It's possible she's been knocking years off her age for so long that she's convinced herself she's younger than she is, like people do in showbiz, but it also turns it from "Foley slept with an adult groupie" to "Foley is a nonce." I took a brief look at her very confusing FB page, and one of the videos was of her working as a wrestling valet while clearly in her 20s, but labelled as "me in wrestling aged 14!"

By no stretch is she still in her 30s.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Astro Hollywood said:

I took a brief look at her very confusing FB page, and one of the videos was of her working as a wrestling valet while clearly in her 20s, but labelled as "me in wrestling aged 14!"

I dont understand her facebook. The ECW stuff just doesnt add up, but her initial allegations seemed to make sense. Like, she said in 1990 she was 15 at the Tom Robinson Memorial show, where Cactus Jack worked. And apparently that's where he "molested" her. That I can believe, because she looks quite young in those pictures of her with Sid Vicious, where he's grinning like a mad man. But she wasnt 15 in ECW. If she is claiming that she's just daft.

• Moderators

In what's probably the highest-profile in terms of actual power since Weinstein, Pixar's John Lesseter is taking a 6-month leave of absence from the company, for "unwanted hugs" and other wandering hand issues.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/john-lasseters-pattern-alleged-misconduct-detailed-by-disney-pixar-insiders-1059594

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Morgan Spurlock now. He's one of the very few so far who actually appears to understand the gravity of what he's done, which is one of the most depressing things about all this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42350064