UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones 2

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Jones is probably good enough to still beat Brock, but the thought of Brock using his extra weight to hold Jones down like he did Mir in their second fight, and just smash hit face to bits? That'd be delightful.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Jones is probably good enough to still beat Brock, but the thought of Brock using his extra weight to hold Jones down like he did Mir in their second fight, and just smash hit face to bits? That'd be delightful.

Hopefully it would be a five rounder too!  Five lovely smothering face pounding rounds.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

Any idea what Luke Thomas said that has annoyed Jones? 

From Thomas' facebook...

Here are some thoughts on today's presser. I have no clue why Jones is upset with me (neither do the members of his inner circle I spoke to). I suspect it's something I said at some point that was critical of him in a way he didn't like, find fair or particularly enjoy. It's absolutely his right to not talk to me and he's allowed to feel about me however he likes. I have no problem with that or even how he handled today. He does not owe me anything.

But here's the truth: I have a job to do. If you want to get into sports commentary and be a member of the media, you have to accept that you cannot nor should not try to please the subjects you cover. It's not possible and trying to do so is an abdication of one's responsibility. It's certainly a better world when you're liked. I do not try to intentionally hurt, distress or cause harm to those I cover. However, it's not possible to do the job without, inevitably, running into unpleasant scenarios.

I'll always prefer to be on good terms with just about anyone in the industry, but as a practice, this in not the 'making fighters your friend' business. Some are not going to like you. You have to just deal with it, be professional and move on. This will not change how I cover Jon because it'd be unethical to let this affect me.

Tomorrow is a new day. I'll try to do my job exactly as I've always done it. That is, imperfectly, but with candor. Nothing changes

• Paid Members
On 26 July 2017 at 2:14 PM, lambyUK said:

Excellent interview with DC by BT Sports Caroline Pearce. I have to admit, she's getting better and better with these interviews. It's ever since that excellent post fight interview with Mcgregor after his loss to Nate Diaz she's started to really come on as an interviewer.

And her interview with Jones, that's decent too.

Thanks for posting these, lamby. Good stuff. She's definitely improved a bit since the Beyond The Octagon days. Amazing that GAD hasn't considering he's been covering the UFC now since about 2007 when they were on Setanta over here. Fucking 10 years of GAD! 

But yeah, I liked those interviews. I've not really had time to be watching the build up stuff until now so that's started me off nicely. Going to try to power through the Countdown, press conference, Inside The Octagon and all the Embeddeds tonight. And I'm still hoping to squeeze in a rewatch of the first fight before Saturday as well. 

Fuck, I hope DC wins. 

• Paid Members

Same. I'm dreading it. 

Here's another Cormier-Jones interview on FOX;

Interesting to listen to Jones' comments on his relationship with Dana there. Saying "He's shown his true colours" and that he only wants to know when you're making him coin. As much as I loathe Jones, I actually like that he doesn't give a fuck about being one of Dana's buddies. 

It hasn't been right between those two since the UFC 151 cancellation back in 2012, has it? I think Dana expected Jones to grovel for forgiveness after that and the fact that Jones' attitude on that has always basically been 'Deal with it' really got Dana's back up. I can't stand the prick but I felt like Jones was in the right in that whole mess. 

• Paid Members

Ha, yeah he said 'young man' when addressing Jimi Manuwa after the last Rumble fight at 210 as well. "You just beat Corey Anderson. Sit down, young man." :laugh: 

Just watched the Helwani sitdown with DC. It's fantastic. We say it a lot but Ariel is the best at this stuff. He asks the right stuff but he also knows when to shut the fuck up, sit back and let the fighter talk. Really interesting interview. Especially the stuff about DC's harder times and his start in MMA. 

It didn't even click with me the Anaheim connection until Ariel brought it up either. But now he's said it I think it's a really cool little wrinkle in the story that they're fighting in the very arena where they first met backstage at the Cain vs Brock fight in 2010. 

I'm hoping there's a Jones sitdown coming. Anyone heard if there is? 

I've been busy this week, but I made sure to watch the best bits from the press conference. D.C comeback to Jones's "crackhead" jibe was beautiful. I've also struck a bit of luck that I am cat-sitting at my Brother's house this weekend while he's on holiday, and he has BT Sport. It will be nice to watch a major UFC show on the TV for once, instead of a laptop. 

My thoughts on the main event haven't changed. D.C is saying the right things, but I can't see past Jones winning. If pressed, I see Jones banking the first few rounds, then slowly breaking Cormier down to force a late stoppage.

I fear that Cormier will be to Jones what Hughes ended up being to GSP, or Franklin was to Anderson. Probably good enough to beat the rest of division, but in the pocket of the division's kingpin. It's a shame, because Cormier is almost too good to be in anyone's pocket. If he stayed at Heavyweight, he could have realistically been a serious contender, and he's beaten two of the best head to head Light Heavyweights ever in Gusty and Rumble (put Gusty in a time machine and transport him back to 10 years ago, and he would have dominated the 205lbs division) Cormier is just very unlucky to share the same era as Jones.

• Paid Members

I binged through a load of the press conferences, build up & Interviews last night. Jones seems pretty calm but I can’t help but think that DC is just putting a brave face. He’s saying the right things but it doesn’t feel genuine. Like a mate who’s claiming he’s better off now his missus has left him & he doesn’t care but you just know he’s gonna cry-wank himself to sleep.

• Paid Members

So the weigh-in day has arrived; so who is missing weight? It's almost customary now that somebody doesn't make it. Odd's on one of the title fights suddenly not being a title fight any longer? 

Archived