UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones 2

wandshogun09

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, lambyUK said:

You do realise Jon Jones has only fought twice in 2 and a half years?

I was more being anti Cain than pro Jones. That being said, I think Jones is different because he still has many possible years ahead of him. I wouldn't call him GOAT now, but you can't argue he has the potential to take that title in time.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
3 hours ago, lambyUK said:

Countdown, Cormier/Jones segment..

Yeah, I'm now convinced, that this is the biggest MMA fight of all time. It won't draw the biggest, but considering the history, what's on the line, the grudge of the two fighters involved, it's the biggest by far for me. 

And the full episode if anyone wants it:-

That really whet my appetite Lamby, thanks for sharing that. It doesn't always happen that the two men considered the best of a generation in a division, with a huge rivalry in tow, meet each other in their prime, and in this case more than once (and hopefully a third time).

This rivalry will define both men's careers, and I'm more up for the fight than at any other point it was meant to happen. Unfortunately that leaves me feeling that everytime there is a comment in this thread, that it's going to be the announcement that the fight has been called off. :(

This one may deserve its own thread, but it can stay here for now. Jones may have have his next opponent lined up already, if he wins on Saturday, and there is a good chance it will be Brock Lesnar. Dave Meltzer was on the LAW over the weekend and said when it comes to Lesnar's opponent for his potential UFC return, the name he's been told that the UFC want is Jon Jones. Jones talked about the fight on Facebook Live when promoting UFC 214  and said he would be up for fighting Lesnar, and Lesnar, who doesn't say or do anything without a reason, said he would be up for the fight as well.

Given that WME want and need big money fights, this would be the fight for them to make, ahead of Jones defending against Gustafsson or anyone else. Jones vs. Lesnar would be a huge.

• Paid Members

In all honesty, if Cormier wins on Saturday I would love to see him face Lesnar as well. From a styles perspective I think it would be great as their wrestling styles differ tremendously, and with DC being a big pro wrestling fan I'm sure he would know how to ramp up the tension.

On top of that he's shown he can handle big heavyweights as well. I could actually see Cormier feasibly retiring in this scenario.

• Paid Members

Excellent interview with DC by BT Sports Caroline Pearce. I have to admit, she's getting better and better with these interviews. It's ever since that excellent post fight interview with Mcgregor after his loss to Nate Diaz she's started to really come on as an interviewer.

And her interview with Jones, that's decent too.

• Paid Members

I thought it was a draw. However, DC masterfully getting Jones to cleanly say "who looks like a crackhead, up hear?" for the volley was beautiful. Made even sweeter when Jones' only retort to DC was to do the corny BOOM TISH drum thing.

I'm sure Luke Thomas was a fan of that.

• Paid Members

The Luke Thomas snub from Jones was just bizarre, as Luke more so than anyone has been supportive of Jones on social media. On occasion yes he's written something negative about him, but he's been far more positive than nearly all the other journalists out there.

Jones seems really agitated to me, going from his demeanour, his comments about Dana, and then the Luke Thomas snub. Perhaps it was the weight cut, but it seemed to me that Cormier was far more the calmer in the staredown.

• Paid Members

Any idea what Luke Thomas said that has annoyed Jones? 

Admittedly, I've only seen the first 10 minutes of the presser, but the impression I got was that DC just wants this whole thing to be over. Where as Jones seems to be revelling in it all. 

Saturday can't come quick enough. 

• Paid Members

I wonder what the weight difference is between Jones and Brock? I never thought I'd ever see the day that they'd fight, but fucking hell, Brock out wrestling him due to being the much bigger man would be a joy to see.

• Paid Members

Brock must be 295-300 in WWE. I would think once he starts a high intensity training camp, before even starting the weight cut, that he probably drops 10-15 lbs due to the different style of exercise. Brock is probably 280-285 in the cage. 

Likewise Jones I think is probably cutting from 225-230 at most? My guess in the cage is there would be a 60lb weight difference. 

Archived