UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones 2

wandshogun09

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I thought 211 and 213 were really strong as well but this is definitely the most stacked so far this year. 

I mean, when you've got fucking Lawler vs Cerrone on a show and it's only the second fight on the main card and nobody's talking about it, you know the card must be loaded. 

Part of it is there's been so many shows that some of the PPV shows have been more fight night levels, or the main events end up getting cancelled due to injuries etc. There's just so many shows that the quality isn't there a lot of the time.

• Paid Members

Good interview with Jones here. Obviously talks UFC 214 and the Cormier rematch and rivalry. But it also touches on Mayweather vs McGregor, how he got into MMA and potentially fighting at heavyweight. Interesting stuff. 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, David said:

Christ, Jones looks like he's set to kill someone. I have a feeling Cormier is gonna get fucked up in this fight, big time. 

Agree with this. Something seems different about Jones this time ... like he knows he can't fuck up yet again. The only question is lack of cage time but I wouldn't be shocked if DC doesn't see the championship rounds. 

The one bright side of Jones being amped up is that if he's like that all week, then come the fight, he might be so amped up that he'll do something stupid and get caught. Unfortunately, it's more likely he'll go into the fight feeling that he has something to prove, and the chances are very good that he'll do just that, and I have bad feeling that DC is going to get wrecked.

• Paid Members

You never know but I'd say the most likely outcome is Jones winning by decision. 

Jones hasn't finished anyone in years. I can't be arsed to check but I want to say Chael Sonnen was his last finish. And that was what, 2013/14? He's got the skills to finish anyone but he just hasn't in a long time. And when you couple that with DC's toughness I'd say a finish is going to be hard to come by. For either man, actually. 

I think Cormier is far too good to just be toyed around with, even if that's what Jones fancies doing. Far, far too good. Their first fight was competitive enough until the championship rounds, and we've witnessed DC going from strength to strength since their meeting. He's convincingly knocked off the two biggest threats in the division barring Jones and during that period of time we've no idea how Jones has come on. He didn't look too sharp when he made his first return against OSP, and he's coming in with wild pressure on his shoulders to properly vanquish his biggest rival. Add that on to the fact it's not been long since his mother's death, bearing the brunt of the promotional and media promotion, coming back from a hefty and highly-publicised drugs ban, and I'd argue he's got more on his shoulders than Cormier coming into this fight.

In fact, fuck it. Cormier to win via Submission.

Another thing to remember is that Cormier was 36 years old when they first fought, and he's now two years older. For all we're talking about Jones looking shaky and maybe not being at his best, the fact is he's still a relatively young man.

Cormier is an older fighter, and he finds it tough making the weight. In reality he should have missed weight for the Johnson fight, but because of the towel fiasco we've kind of forgotten that.

Hopefully that's something he'll have under check. In the video posted above with him and Jones side by side, he certainly looks like he's already in the process of cutting. His face is looking a lot thinner than it usually is. I can't remember him having any real issues with making 205 before UFC 210, so hopefully that will have just served as a wake up call for him and nothing more.

Maybe I'm just relying on nothing more than optimism. Maybe Jones didn't look amazing against OSP because he never had reason to step it up a gear. Maybe he'll come back and maul DC within a couple of rounds. 

I'm just holding out hope Cormier gets the win. He'll have been training like an utter demon for this fight and I hope he manages to beat Jones. It would be fantastic from both a company standpoint, and a personal one.

Because then they have the obvious trilogy fight option, which would still have major intrigue and a massive hook when you think about the questions that could be asked with a potential DC win. It would play up beautifully into the whole redemption angle they're going for with Jon, suffering a loss against his biggest career rival on the biggest stage, and then having to overcome that adversity to try and win the trilogy?

If the fight goes through on Saturday (touch wood) and Cormier wins, that's your New York supershow main event set up right there. Cormier vs Jones III at MSG would be massive money. How better for Jones to cement his redemption arch, and solidify himself as one of the all time greats than beating his biggest career rival, in a huge trilogy fight, in the biggest PPV of the year?

3 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

How better for Jones to cement his redemption arch, and solidify himself as one of the all time greats than beating his biggest career rival, in a huge trilogy fight

By not losing to him in the second fight?

9 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

By not losing to him in the second fight?

Perhaps it's the professional wrestling fan in me, but having Jones fall at this hurdle would only boost the whole comeback they're promoting. A narrow victory with DC, with Cormier hopefully fully embracing his recent, don't give a fuck attitude, and Jones desperately looking to come full circle by winning the trilogy would be pure money.

Of course, that means Jones would have to stop being a complete wankstain of a human being which is never likely to happen, but to me that would be a lovely option.

I think the company has more to gain with a Cormier win. If he does, they've got a huge trilogy main event set (with more than enough time to headline MSG), they can keep pushing the Jones redemption story, and it ensures the division stays in the limelight with another huge fight. If Jones wins, Cormier is probably going to fuck off, the division will be pretty wiped out and we'll probably get UFC 218: Jones vs Ozdemir or something similar.

Archived