UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones 2

wandshogun09

This isn't pro wrestling, if Jones loses then he'll look like someone who's fucked up his career and who isn't the fighter he once was. Unfortunately, the UFC can't "book" his redemption story in the way you want, because it's all based on him winning. Sure, they can book a trilogy, but the mystique of Jones as an unbeatable force is gone. He'll never be looked on in the same way.

The best result for the company is a Jones win. He's younger, he's got more miles ahead of him, there are fresh fights out there for him, the potential of a move to heavyweight, hisĀ reputation as the GOAT and so on.

The UFC need stars just now, and Jones is one of them. They need him to win and start showing why he was so highly regarded.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I know it's an unpopular opinion on here but I'm 100% behind Jones this weekend. I think there's a case right now for him being GOAT (only DJ in front of him) & I want to see him back in full effect & cleaning up. Him cleaning out the LHW division & then defending against everyone was one of my favourite UFC runs. He's one of those fighters who has me glued to the TV, frightened to look away in case I miss something spectacular.

There's a case for Jones being the GOAT, but I still think it's quite clearly GSP. If Jones wipes out D.C, beats Gusty in a rematch, and beats a top-line Heavyweight, then i'll probably have to review things.

I would particularly like to see him take a few fights at Heavyweight in the near future. GSP took on naturally bigger men, as did Anderson (who history has not been kind to) Both did very well, and it reflected favourably on them. I have little doubt that Jones would do the same, but it's a box I would like to see him tick.

I think it's a bit unfair to hold Jones to a standard whereby he's only in the running if he jumps up a weight class when GSP hasn't done that? Even Anderson's stints at a higher weight class haven't been that great, with him beating both Bonnar and Irvin, but losing to Cormier.

If Jones beats Cormier, beats Gustafsson again, and goes on a tear that includes wins over the likes of Manuwa, Volkan Oezdemir and maybe another couple of up & comers then he's got to be given the title of GOAT, surely? Especially when you factor in his past accomplishments and who he's beaten already?

9 minutes ago, David said:

If Jones beats Cormier, beats Gustafsson again, and goes on a tear that includes wins over the likes of Manuwa, Volkan Oezdemir and maybe another couple of up & comers then he's got to be given the title of GOAT, surely? Especially when you factor in his past accomplishments and who he's beaten already?

I dunno.

Welterweight was an ever-evolving division. GSP saw off several batches of talent during his lengthy run. Light-Heavyweight on the other hand has been stuck in a rut for years. Jones beat a lot of fighters that were big middleweights, rather than legitimate Light Heavyweights. GSP beat guys of comparable size; sometimes bigger. Of course, that isn't Jones's fault, but to date, what GSP did leaves more of an impression (for me at least)

For example, it's hard to articulate now, but when GSP beat Alves in 2009, it was a massive deal. Alves was a beast going into that bout. Check out how he manhandled Koscheck and Hughes beforehand. Alves was the much bigger man that evening, yet GSP beat him handily, despite picking up an injury in the process.

• Paid Members

I'm going to be harsh on Jones here. Whilst I consider him the greatest light-heavyweight of all time, I find it hard to call him the greatest in the history of the sport.Ā 

I just can't get past the sheer size advantage the guy has held over all his opponents. The reach advantage he has especially is just on a whole other level to that of anyone at light-heavyweight. He's blessed (or cursed?) the most ridiculous chicken legs I've ever seen which seems why a man that size and build can make the 205llb limit.Ā 

jon-jones-instagram-daniel-cormier-diss.

Ā 

In regards to what's best for business, I honestly couldn't care less. Getting behind a man as disgraceful as Jon Jones is all wrong to me. In the end, it's the fight business, and you should root for the man you want to win, not whoĀ will bring in the most dollars further down the line.Ā 

Ā 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

The absolute best scenario for the UFC is Jones and Velasquez win their title matches, so they then can do a super fight for the GOAT title. Jones is pushing the HW talk hard recently.

Cain Velasquez has absolutely no business being anywhere near a discussion about greatest of all time, in my opinion. Far too inactive in his prime. Dropped the belt to a man that then couldn't defend it.

• Paid Members

Countdown, Cormier/Jones segment..

Ā 

Yeah, I'm now convinced, that this is the biggest MMA fight of all time. It won't draw the biggest, but considering the history, what's on the line, the grudge of the two fighters involved, and the talent of the two,Ā it's the biggest by far for me.Ā 

Ā 

And the full episode if anyone wants it:-

Ā 

Ā 

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Chunk said:

Cain Velasquez has absolutely no business being anywhere near a discussion about greatest of all time, in my opinion. Far too inactive in his prime. Dropped the belt to a man that then couldn't defend it.

You do realise Jon Jones has only fought twice in 2 and a half years?

Ā 

16 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Me, you, and David. Ā The axis of evil.

You fellas have no soulĀ :laugh:

• Paid Members

Ā 

hqdefault.jpg

Ā 

Anyway, GSP is the true GOAT, for me. As far as I'm concerned, Anderson DQ'd himself when he got done for PEDs.

UFC/the media have pushed the Velasquez and Jones names for the GOAT title, while it's debatable, it's a strong enough narrative to sell a fight. You've also got that lovely DC/AKA side story with it too.

• Paid Members

Jones may be the GOAT, but I'm rooting heavily against him. I don't want a shit-bag like him to be considered the greatest ever, in the same way I wouldn't want obviously elite boxers like Tyson or Mayweather to be considered the greatest either, regardless of whether they're in the running for the title or not. Being a sportsman is about more than just being gifted.

I don't like DC much either, if I'm honest; he comes across to me as a bit of a frat-boy jock, quite frankly, but there are worse sins on this planet than that, and he's certainly nowhere near as bad as Jones.

Ā 

Archived