UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones 2

wandshogun09

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It was indeed. If I'm absolutely honest, even if DC hadn't folded, I'm not entirely sure he would've won. He certainly had a better chance with the strategy he was using, but he was still taking quite a lot of shots. That said, it's difficult to know how well Jones would've dealt with continual barrages of body shots and uppercuts. DC was definitely using the best possible strategy for someone of his build, against someone with Jones' reach and lanky build.

• Paid Members

It says a lot about what an amazing fighter Jones is that he was able to mentally break Cormier. It's not like Cormier is some mental midget like Rumble. This is a man who came through losing a child and went on to achieve all the success he has in MMA. He survived a brutal knockdown from Gustafsson and rallied back. He weathered the Rumble storm TWICE and came back to win. Yet it really did seen like Jones made him fold in those championship rounds. We can't know for sure that he did, maybe it was just fatigue or an injury of some sort or whatever, but that's how it looked. 

Jones also made Shogun tap to strikes, for fuck's sake. Absolute cunt of a man, but maybe the best fighter I've ever seen. And that's just facts, as McGregor would say. 

• Paid Members

If I'm being utterly honest, I still can't shake the feeling it was that eyepoke that did it, and that it wasn't an accidental result of Jones' style of parrying. There's a stark contrast between DC's attitude and momentum before and after it. And given the type of guy Jones is, I'm rather inclined to believe he probably adopted that fingers-out parrying style deliberately to enable him to do that with impunity through the naturally reasonable doubt such situations would incur.

That said, I can also accept that this might not be the case. He is, and it sticks in my craw to say this, arguably the GOAT. 

• Paid Members

Oh, I forgot about the eye poke thing. I'm going to have to watch the fight again anyway, I think. 

Might just try and cram everything in before fight week. Might rewatch those awesome sitdown interviews Helwani did with Cormier and Jones before the first fight as well. Then watch the first fight before the usual fight week stuff kicks off like Embedded, the Countdown, press conference, media interviews, weigh in etc. 

• Paid Members

I think Carbomb is definitely on to something with the eye poke. I forgot myself, until I watched yesterday. It doesn't happen again, but I've no idea if that's due to Jones calming it down or DC being ultra aware he may get another one.

Jones definitely isn't above using the fingers out as a clever way to disrupt and hurt his opponent. The worst that used to happen was a warning, time and again.

I also forgot how awkward the reach was for DC, at times. He did a good job getting close in the 2nd and 3rd, but he had to accept that he's taking brutal shots while there; after a while those knees from Jones are always going to mount up.

• Paid Members

Not just the knees - Jones was doing shoulder shots as well! It was that sort of spatial/tactical awareness that forced me to accept that Jones' level of talent really is Elite of Elites level; fight IQ like that is not common, from what I can see.

I'm not writing DC off completely. He clearly has the power and the skills to hurt Jones, and whilst Jones' chin was tested and found solid by Gustafsson, I'd have been very interested to know how his body holds up to heavyweight shots after a prolonged period, given his frame. If DC had been able to keep up the volume and power, we might have seen a very different shape to Jones' game and how he dealt (or failed to deal with) the situation.

• Paid Members

I remember something similar in the build up to the OSP fight and Jones looked dreadful in the actual fight. I'm not so sure large muscle mass suits Jones' style and it certainly won't make cutting to 205 any easier. I actually remember hearing the corner mic for the mentioned OSP fight with Greg Jackson going apeshit regarding Jones' extra muscle from all the power lifting he was doing. 

• Paid Members

You've got to imagine Jones is doing more functional muscle training, though? Obviously power lifting has it's benefits, but IIRC, Jones said his mobility was badly hampered with that sort of training (and cardio wasn't ideal).

He's a bit silly if he decided to continue with it, considering everyone involved were very negative after the fact.

Of course, recently, we've seen with Rousey and even Yoel, that a better physique means piss all in a fight. However, it does show a commitment to training Jones has admitted he lacked, which is still mad thinking about it.

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

I've got to get my eyes tested. I thought that was fucking Stormzy with Cowboy and Bones there for a sec. Bad man training, you get me, blud? 

He just signed for Man Utd so it can't be him.

1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

He's a bit silly if he decided to continue with it, considering everyone involved were very negative after the fact.

It would fit with Jones’ m.o of doing whatever he likes, regardless of what anyone else think, even if they know better. I think adding that extra muscle is probably an exercise in vanity or perhaps Jones genuinely does believe that he needs to bigger and stronger. Either way, I think the added muscle is going to be a hindrance come fight time. The cardio and mobility issues that arise from having more muscle mass can definitely detract from a fighter’s performance. GSP went into the Jake Shields fight bigger than normal, in part to see what the added size did to his fighting as a possible prelude to a fight with Anderson Silva. The result was a GSP performance that was far from his best and he actually lost rounds for the first time in years. If Jones is that big and muscular at UFC 214, he may be giving DC the edge he needs to win the fight.

Archived