General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I’m in dreamland. The team that I love, the team five minutes from my doorstep in my tiny town, the team I follow home and away in any weather for any match, the team that my family have managed in the past, the team my brother you used to play for, the team that means so much to me, have just won the FA Vase at Wembley!!!!! What the hell!!!! Commiserations to Stockton Town who put on a great performance but it wasn’t enough to beat the Kingfishers. I’ve never felt like this before! Football eh, fucking football, the beautiful game. 

On 5/16/2018 at 8:51 PM, Teedy Kay said:

Didn't see the 2nd leg of the play offs then? Or the other number of games in the run in where he's consistently been the second best player in the league?

Oh and he'll be 20 at the next tourney, not still in his teens.

I think Southgate has bottled it in a number of areas. And it doesn't bode well for the tactics he's going to employ in the World Cup.

Barring that Millwall game and second half of the playoff he's looked knackered since April. I rate Sessegnon (as a LW, nowhere near a LB) but banging him in the England team is absurd. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, The Maestro said:

I rate Sessegnon (as a LW, nowhere near a LB) but banging him in the England team is absurd. 

I think it's just a bit too soon, but if England were to take a wildcard youngster with them, then it'd be him or Sancho. Then again, our previous young wildcard selections have hardly paid dividends.

I really don't think Southgate has bottled anything with his squad, coming back to this topic. He's resisted the urge to take Joe Hart, Wilshere, Lallana (due to lack of game time) and Livermore. Hell, most managers would've had the urge to recall Rooney as well given the lack of creativity in the squad.

Phil Jones is there because it really had to be him or Smalling (I think he made the wrong choice out of the two) to add experience to the defence, and we're certainly not blessed with good defenders at the moment. Joe Gomez seemingly would've been there if he wasn't injured. Delph is there due to his versatility after a solid session cosplaying James Milner at City. Ashley Young has had a renaissance season at LB. Not a huge fan of Henderson, but it's hard to ignore the fact that he could be a Champions League winning captain next weekend. I can't really explain Welbeck, although he does have a knack of scoring for England.

This is still the youngest England World Cup squad of all-time (according to World Soccer magazine I'm reading as I'm bored shitless still in hospital), with 6 players currently 23 or under. We have some incredibly exciting young players coming through, the sheer amount of success we had in the FIFA and UEFA youth tournaments last year are evidence of this, but it's hard to justify taking players to a World Cup that aren't clocking up minutes in a top league. And those that have been doing so and are good enough in their position, such as Alexander-Arnold and Loftus-Cheek, they're in.

This tournament has probably arrived a year too soon for the likes of Sancho (who has only recently started to get game time at Dortmunda) and Sessegnon (who one way or another will be playing PL football next season you'd expect). It's even earlier for the likes of Foden, Mount, Nketiah, Izzy Brown, Brewster, Nelson and so on. There will be more of this crop at the Euros in two years time (which in some ways, is a bit of a home-soil event). Let's hope they either force themselves into contention at club level (as the Liverpool boys are doing) or take a risk and move abroad for further development/game time, as more are bravely doing these days.

• Paid Members

Parma have been promoted to Serie A after their financial collapse. Great to see them rise from their 'ashes' and return to top flight. They were one of my fave sides in the 90s after Fiorentina.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, waters44 said:

I’m in dreamland. The team that I love, the team five minutes from my doorstep in my tiny town, the team I follow home and away in any weather for any match, the team that my family have managed in the past, the team my brother you used to play for, the team that means so much to me, have just won the FA Vase at Wembley!!!!! What the hell!!!! Commiserations to Stockton Town who put on a great performance but it wasn’t enough to beat the Kingfishers. I’ve never felt like this before! Football eh, fucking football, the beautiful game. 

On a similar note, the team the next village over have yesterday quaified for the Europa League. Absolutely fucking marvellous.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

BMG are trying to sign Rhian Brewster funny enough. They're loving the young brits over there atm.

I'm glad personally. I think experience of playing different styles of football in different countries is the main thing our big name players have been missing since the Premier League started and Italian football went down the pan...

• Paid Members

Spot on Cod Eye. I'm glad we've been losing youngsters to Benfica, Barca and others recently rather than constantly sending them out of loan to Birmingham to eventually release on a free, and see them disappear into obscurity. It gives them much more hope for the future, and for England.

• Paid Members

They do, but the players are choosing to leave instead. Good for them. If the likes of Jay Emmanuel Thomas had done this years ago, they may have fulfilled the potential they had.

• Paid Members
On 5/18/2018 at 7:30 PM, CleetusVanDamme said:

More excited for this than the cup final!

They also played a Norwich legends team over the weekend, complete with the Canaries reprising their old 'Egg and Crest' (aka bird shit) kit of the early 90's to celebrate 25 years since City's last European stint. Incredible seeing the likes of Klinsmann playing at Carrow Road along with the old City legends from that run like Gunny, plus the likes of Huckerby, Roberts and Grant Holt from more recent times. We even had Mike Walker back in the dugout! The only thing that didn't return were the yellow goal nets. Infinitely better than anything else that happened in our 2017/18 season. 

image.jpg.6058bd6d57c8360ce2318f11e2e821de.jpg

• Paid Members

How fat was Grant Holt, Nicko? That's the question on everyone's minds.

In other news, Roberto Martinez has left Radja Nainggolan out of his PROVISIONAL Belgium squad. What a fucking weapon that man is. Still, great news for England!

Archived