General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Carbomb said:

That's very kind of you, man! 

@SuperBacon - I can tell you that, for Portuguese games, places like Kensal Green, Willesden and Harlesden are great as there are a lot of Portuguese restaurants and bars around there. Not far from there are quite a few Iranian places too.

For Brazilian places, there are Brazilian communities in Stockwell in Sahf Lahndahn, and in Stamford Hill in Norf, so take your pick. Probably the best place, though, is the Walkabout in Temple. Yes, it's an Australian bar, but it's become a very popular place for the Brazilians and Eastern Europeans - plus they do imported Australian beer like Toohey's and VB, so you're not too bad off.

For any of the Arab-speaking countries' matches, Edgware Road is where you go. Loads of Arab eateries like Maroush and Fakhreldin amongst many, and they usually include shisha bars too. Don't be expecting much in terms of being able to get hold of alcohol, although Lebanese places like Maroush are more likely to serve, or at the very least allow you to bring your own for a corkage fee. Best to check first, though. Alternatively, you could go to Knightsbridge, but I wouldn't. If you think regular London prices are shit, you'll be up to your eyeballs in sewage there.

For Polish matches, you can pretty much take your pick of anywhere north of the Thames, but Harrow and Haringey probably have the largest communities.

That said, for Colombian matches, there's only one place to go, and that's Seven Sisters. Lots of Colombian bars and eateries with great atmosphere and tasty cheap food (and lots of attractive Latinas around too). @SpursRiot knows the area as well. There's a café near the Seven Sisters station exit that'll do you two empanadas and a cup of coffee for £3.50 (yes, that is cheap for London).

For Germany, I don't know for certain, but there's the Bavarian Beerhouse between Tower Hill and Fenchurch Street. They seem to have a Hooters-esque employment policy of hiring buxom blonde women who can surely only be called Helga. They all wear German dirndl as uniforms too. Good beer, decent German-style casual food.

For Japan - it's a stretch, but Finchley Road and Golders Green have large Japanese communities, and therefore eateries and bars as a result.

Couldn't tell you for certain about Russian matches, but I'd imagine Mayfair is where you'd have the best chance of seeing them. Don't take my word for it, though. And remember Mayfair's as bad as Knightsbridge.

EDIT: Actually, for the Brazil matches, sounds like PunkStep's recommendation is probably a better bet.

I know it's a bit late if you haven't planned it but if you can do some travelling while the World Cup is on I'd recommend it.  For the 2010 World Cup I was travelling America, Canada and Europe and had some amazing experiences. 

From watching Spain vs Germany at a Metal festival in Slovenia to watching games in a campsite which set-up a big screen to watching New Zealand vs Italy in a bar in Calgary at about 7am that was full of Italians, me and the one guy from New Zealand I went with.  Watching several games at a hostel with a guy from Germany, a girl from Chile, a guy from France and a guy from America who had seemingly never watched football before or watching the longest game ever (England vs Algeria) in a shopping centre or being in Germany for them destroying us 4-1 or sharing a hostel with a lot of Spanish fans the night they won it.  It was all pretty awesome.

• Paid Members

Ha, it reads like somebody's granddad has just learnt to text. 'Take care', Christ alive. The Martin in question is none other than Martin Allen.

They have a new physio too!

IMG_20180524_010147.jpg

5 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Ha, it reads like somebody's granddad has just learnt to text. 'Take care', Christ alive. The Martin in question is none other than Martin Allen.

They have a new physio too!

IMG_20180524_010147.jpg

Mad as hatter that guy. If you speak to him he does actually come across as someone who is just about coping with technology from 15-20 years ago 

• Paid Members

Speaking of press releases, I've genuinely just had this official release land in my inbox. 

IMAGES OF CHRISTOPHER WILLIAM SHANKLY CARLINE & EMMA PARRY BEING INTERVIEWED ARE AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST 

JURGEN KLOPP GETS MESSAGE FROM THE GRAVE AHEAD OF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL 

LEGENDARY LIVERPOOL MANAGER BILL SHANKLY OBE MAKES HIS PRESENCE FELT 

Liverpool Football manager Jurgen Klopp got the seal of approval from the legendary Bill Shankly OBE ahead of the Champions League final in Kiev on Saturday when Liverpool play Real Madrid.

Christopher "William Shankly" Carline and Emma Parry - the Grandchildren of the Liverpool football legend - were being interviewed on the roof top of the Shankly Hotel about the forthcoming match with SKY TV’s Tom Parmenter when the big man made his presence felt.

Chris and Emma were asked the question on what advice would their legendary Scots Grandfather give to the German manager. As Chris was about to answer the question a heavy ornamental tree standing behind the location crashed onto the sofa knocking over one of the cameras on the set. A further two takes of the same question were asked to both Emma and Chris and on each time the question was answered the tree mysteriously crashed over onto the set on what was a beautiful and calm sunny day with no wind. The remainder of the interview continued without a glitch. 

Commenting on the spooky incident Chris Carline said;  

“ It was a surreal experience we definitely felt my Grandad’s presence in the interview and strangely it was only during that specific question about what advice my Grandad would give to Jurgen Klopp that the tree fell over. We had to do several takes on each occasion as we answered the questions the tree kept crashing over, at first we thought it was a coincidence, but then realised there was no wind and it only happened on the specific questions.

My Grandad would have said to Jurgen Klopp to go forward, to make your team invincible, to play their hearts out and make the fans so very proud. But to also ensure that Liverpool as a city stands tall and proud and  bring the cup home. His ethos was all about playing with passion and conviction for your team and your city, to earn the honour of wearing your red shirt.  One of his famous quotes was  - For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared  to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side -  I think that describes him so well.”

Chris, the Grandson of the legendary Liverpool manager - who co owns the Shankly Hotel in Liverpool with hotelier Lawrence Kenwright - built the hotel in tribute to his late Grandad and his time as Liverpool’s greatest ever football manager.  

The Shankly is dedicated to the footballing legends career and time at Liverpool. It features a football museum packed with memories and memorabilia  from his prestigious and phenomenal football career at Liverpool FC.

The hotel is now a mecca for Liverpool football fans from across the world who come to see the memorabilia and the history of legendary reds manager and player.  Fans from as far as America, China, Japan, Dubai and Europe make the pilgrimage and marvel at the hotels museum and memorabilia. Both Chris and his cousin Emma regularly host the “Shankly Experience” - a personal guided tour of the hotel for fans - recounting famous stories and events in his esteemed career at Liverpool  FC.

Emma Parry, Chris’s cousin who co hosts the Shankly Experience at the hotel said; 

“We have felt an unexplained presence in the hotel on a number of occasions of my Grandad and they tend to be more frequent around times when Liverpool are playing or key things that have happened like a new manager being appointed at the club, a major win or lose at a match. I do feel my Grandad is looking over us. I hope he is very proud with what we have achieved with the hotel and the museum experience and that his legacy continues on for fans to enjoy and to marvel at an era of football that defines the true spirit of the game.” 

This Saturday (26th May) the Shankly hotel will play host to its own exclusive LIVE screening of the Liverpool vs Real Madrid match LIVE from Kiev. 

Within one hour of the event going on sale 800 tickets had sold out. The event is so popular with Reds fans that over 1000 Liverpool fans are on the waiting list. 

The event will be televised on huge screens in the Bastion bar and restaurant and on the EDEN rooftop garden of the hotel.

For further information

Please contact 
G***** F***** Head Of Press Signature Living & Shankly Hotel.

I mean...I don't even know where to start with that one. 

On 5/23/2018 at 1:08 AM, Carbomb said:

For Brazilian places, there are Brazilian communities in Stockwell in Sahf Lahndahn, and in Stamford Hill in Norf, so take your pick. Probably the best place, though, is the Walkabout in Temple. Yes, it's an Australian bar, but it's become a very popular place for the Brazilians and Eastern Europeans - plus they do imported Australian beer like Toohey's and VB, so you're not too bad off.

Sorry mate but Temple Walkabout is no more - its a salsa bar now!

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Sorry mate but Temple Walkabout is no more - its a salsa bar now!

Damn, that's shit. Wonder when that happened?

Alright, my info on that is out of date, but the other places I mentioned I've been to very recently, so those are still good.

13 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Damn, that's shit. Wonder when that happened?

Alright, my info on that is out of date, but the other places I mentioned I've been to very recently, so those are still good.

Did you fall out of love with internationally flavoured London bars around 2001 as well?

3 hours ago, PunkStep said:

It's time to dig out the 'How am I doing, boss' meme for that.

We need a Wenger one of those now but instead of being in the clouds he can be stood atop the dugout looking down at Emery.

@Twatters That sounds awesome, alas a bit late now for all of that.

Reminds me of my favourite time watching football, England vs Argentina, 2002 in Cuba. IIRC the KO time for us over there was 5am, and of course everyone stayed up and got shitfaced all night so roll around kick off, it was utter carnage.

All of the Cubans were supporting England, there were some mardy Argentinians about that worked in the resort that the Cubans were goading, and walking into the breakfast room afterwards, all of the Cubans lined up to shake our hands and say congratulations.

"Meester BeckHAM" Lovely time. Probably the last time I cared about England actually. Shout out Trevor Sinclair for that game

• Paid Members

The 'New Era' for Arsenal is truly underway- we're about to sign our first player since Wenger's departure! 

It's...Stephan Lichtsteiner. Oh. Wasn't quite expecting that. Still, he's available on a free, provides experienced cover for Bellerin, hopefully a bit of leadership and he helped knock Spurs out of Europe.

36 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

The 'New Era' for Arsenal is truly underway- we're about to sign our first player since Wenger's departure! 

It's...Stephan Lichtsteiner. Oh. Wasn't quite expecting that. Still, he's available on a free, provides experienced cover for Bellerin, hopefully a bit of leadership and he helped knock Spurs out of Europe.

That's a solid signing. Nothing more, nothing less, but a good start I'd say. Let's hope he doesn't become another Kim Kallstrom!!!

Archived