General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

The special relationship (which I'm pretty sure we didn't once benefit from, putting transfer fees aside) dissolved a while back. I don't think Poch will go there now. Seems to me that Madrid will be looking for another new manager right when his contract comes up.

Wenger?

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Imagine if Wenger goes there, replaces Ronaldo and Bale on the cheap with young unknown French teenagers and wins the treble? I'd fucking love that. Jack Wilshere holding the European Cup aloft after his free transfer.

Chelsea must be sweating over Sarri now.

• Paid Members

Either there's something to PunkStep's reckoning that Zidane won't ever manage again, or he's maybe thinking it's all getting to be much of a muchness at Madrid, and wants to try a team in another country, on another difficulty setting.

• Paid Members

He can't replicate success again next season, can he? Winning three Champions League titles on the bounce has only been done three times in the past- and they were done by some of the greatest ever teams. The Di Stefano & Puskas-inspired Real side of the late 50s/early 60s, the revolutionary Ajax side of the 70s and the dominant Beckenbauer-led Bayern side from the same decade. They were truly great sides. This Real side has only won 1 league title during the past half a decade and nobody is really considering them as one of the greatest. He's done incredibly well to win those three European Cups.

In other news, something positive (pardon the pun), Paolo Guerrero has been cleared to play for Peru at the World Cup after having his drug ban overturned. Terrific news for Peru and the World Cup, apparently the captains of Peru's group stage opponents all wrote to FIFA to try and help have the ban lifted. That's fucking class from them all.

• Paid Members

I got Peru in the draw in work.
I still don't think I'll get me fiver back, good news and all as it is.

Anyone been watching the History Channel in the run up to this World Cup? Some outstanding documentaries and programs. I got an awful bollicking for unrecording her Corrie in favour of One Night in Turin. "You're not even fucking English!!!" was her argument to my explanation.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

He can't replicate success again next season, can he? Winning three Champions League titles on the bounce has only been done three times in the past- and they were done by some of the greatest ever teams. The Di Stefano & Puskas-inspired Real side of the late 50s/early 60s, the revolutionary Ajax side of the 70s and the dominant Beckenbauer-led Bayern side from the same decade. They were truly great sides. This Real side has only won 1 league title during the past half a decade and nobody is really considering them as one of the greatest. He's done incredibly well to win those three European Cups.

Perhaps he's feeling all territorial and thinking "Well, if that Guardiola can do that, so can I."

At this stage, though, who knows what he's thinking? It's an out-of-the-blue move for him, so the motivation could be anything, I guess.

That Peru news is great to hear. Always good to hear of sporting behaviour like that.

2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Nope, Perez has admitted this was unexpected. They were unprepared and have nobody in mind at the moment. I think he walked, 100%. Quit while you're ahead and all that, he couldn't realistically top 3 Champions League titles on the bounce. I bet he never manages again, other than perhaps the France side.

SPORT are claiming that Poch's contract allows some sort of release if PSG or Real come knocking. It's surely a load of bollocks, but it's fun to see the Spurs fans panic nonetheless. Anyway, surely they should allow him to move to Real as part of their special working relationship?

You're not truly Spurs if you are not at this very moment, spending all afternoon looking up contract law loopholes, and contacting local solicitors for advice on the situation.

Zidane to take over the France job...

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Anyone been watching the History Channel in the run up to this World Cup? Some outstanding documentaries and programs. I got an awful bollicking for unrecording her Corrie in favour of One Night in Turin. "You're not even fucking English!!!" was her argument to my explanation.

No, but I will now, thanks for the heads-up. I watched a few of the official World Cup films leading up to the last one and they were superb, magnificently done. The 1994 one in particular was cracking, I think it was narrated by the Guinness bloke (tick followed tock followed tick).

• Paid Members

Tonight is FIFAs official Spain 82 documentary 'Olé' narrated by Sean Connery and tomorrow is my favourite football documentary of all time, Mexico 86's Hero, narrated by Michael Caine and scored by Rick Wakeman with shots of Elkjaer smoking in the nip.

I remember taping that documentary when I was very, very young and watching it to the point where I ruined the tracking. The only other videos I did that to was Chung Li's Shower Scene in Street Fighter 2 - The Animated Movie, Jade Newmans segment on Sky Ones 'British Sex' and an episode of Eurotrash that was mainly focused on some Ghanian women doing bum dancing.

But yeah, Hero is incredible. Anytime I played ball since seeing that documentary - and this is no joke - whenever I was running at a player or in a fast paced tussle I'd have that fast paced, aggressive tune from near the start of Hero in my head. It goes "DINDIN! DINDIN! tititititititti DINDIN! DINDIN! DIN!"

Those that know and all that...

EDIT - I only went and fuckin found the tune!!!

Abramovich has shelved plans to redevelop Stamford Bridge due to his visa not being renewed apparently. Interesting to see how this plays out. Assume he'll eventually get granted one as he's minted like.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, DCW said:

Abramovich has shelved plans to redevelop Stamford Bridge due to his visa not being renewed apparently. Interesting to see how this plays out. Assume he'll eventually get granted one as he's minted like.

It's been delayed rather than denied, no doubt due to the ongoing tensions between UK and Russia. Instead he's applied for Israeli citizenship (which has been pretty easy for him to obtain, money talks huh?), which means he is free to come and go as he pleases but only as a visitor.

That and the indefinite hold on a new stadium is yet another problem facing Chelsea at the moment. Sky Sports claiming that they are likely to sell Courtois this summer, Napoli are playing hardball over Sarri's release (despite already having hired a replacement), they still have a manager in place that seemingly doesn't want to be there and City are about to sign one of their supposed transfer targets (Jorginho). Still, at least their star striker Morata has the summer off.

• Paid Members

All this hassle for a structure that looks like Wicker Man's anus, that we'll have outgrown long before we move in, with no chance of ever expanding.

I know I say it all the time, but it gets more true with every passing year and hitch in development, not buying Battersea Power Station was a monumental mistake. Not only would it have been cheaper, up and running likely a decade before the new Bridge, let us not have to find a temporary home for years in between etc.. But just look at how fucking undeniably badass it would have been!

article-2163169-13BC42CB000005DC-504_964

article-2163169-13BC4295000005DC-45_964x

Whoever bought the site and just turned it into shit flats is the person(s) who should really be barred from the UK, imho.

Archived