General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Ruben Neves has played just as much football as Sessegnon, Portugal appear to be taking him.

Loads of Championship players are going to the World Cup, none of them need a rest, they need and want to represent their country.

He'll be 18 come the world cup, at that age he could probably run forever at the mo.

I honestly can not think of a left sided player who can play left back/left midfield/left wingback/left wing and has done so consistently all season, contributing assists and goals as well as Sessegnon has done. He should be in that squad.

Edit: he's played just as much football as Kane, shall we leave him at home too?

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The likes of Ali, Kane and Sterling have played loads of football this season and need a break. Can't understand why Southgate isn't taking Ross Barkley and Danny Ings, who will both be fresh as daisies.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

That's not true though is it? Sessegnon looks damn good, but he needs a break after a long season. And the other lads haven't played masses in the Bundesliga this year to warrant being in the squad despite looking like quality youngsters. 

I'd argue it's the typical English mindset of over hyping players from a young age only to see them burn out and fans turn on them for not fulfilling their potential.

So England don't pick young players for fear of them being too overhyped? This circular attitude that England fans, media and coaching has is part of the reason why England have only ever won one thing and why they have rarely looked close to winning anything since.

Leaving players out because they might be tired is nonsense. Everyone is in the same boat. As for Sancho and Lookman, so what if they haven't played loads? Southgate is picking an international squad, not a domestic one. They've come in and looked the absolute business. Are you suggesting you'd rather see Welbeck over there instead of Sancho or Sessegnon or Lookman?

• Paid Members

Sessengnon was the one player I was hoping Southgate would take a punt on. He could have been this world cup's Gazza/Owen, and really introduced himself to the world stage! 

And I can't help but shake my head at the inclusion of Danny Fucking Wellbeck. I mean, what has he done to deserve to go to the world cup? 

I wouldn't suggest taking Welbeck, even if his record for England is surprisingly good. I just don't think taking the likes of Lookman and Sancho is worth doing just for them to sit on the bench and do a Walcott circa 2006. I'm surely they'll be in contention for upcoming tournaments but for me, Russia 2018 is a little too soon for me.

I do get the arguments for taking Sessegnon, I do. But it can be heavy on the shoulders of a young lad who's played over 50 games this season. He'll still be a teenager by the time the next tournament comes around so no need to rush a burnt out 17 year old through.

Welbeck can play in different positions across the front three, will work his socks off and is a different option. I can see the logic in having a versatile player in the squad.

I can't get my head round why he has taken six wing backs though. You do feel if Henderson/Ali get injured we are looking light in midfield. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

Welbeck can play in different positions across the front three, will work his socks off and is a different option. I can see the logic in having a versatile player in the squad.

The Englishest, Daily Expressest football opinion you'll ever see. 

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

I wouldn't suggest taking Welbeck, even if his record for England is surprisingly good. I just don't think taking the likes of Lookman and Sancho is worth doing just for them to sit on the bench and do a Walcott circa 2006. I'm surely they'll be in contention for upcoming tournaments but for me, Russia 2018 is a little too soon for me.

I do get the arguments for taking Sessegnon, I do. But it can be heavy on the shoulders of a young lad who's played over 50 games this season. He'll still be a teenager by the time the next tournament comes around so no need to rush a burnt out 17 year old through.

Worked for Michael Owen in 98.

20 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Worked for Michael Owen in 98.

Michael Owen was joint golden boot winner in the Premier League for the season prior. Sessegnon has looked good in the Championship and knackered as hell for the last month or so. Plus Owen isn't the best example to use considering his hamstrings were wrecked in his early 20s.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Briefcase said:

I can't get my head round why he has taken six wing backs though.

He hasn't.

I'm fine with that squad. Would've liked to see Cahill dropped however that defence did need a bit of experience, and at least he's been playing regularly for Chelsea again, so I get that.

He's dropped players that previous managers wouldn't have had the balls to drop, so there's that.

Obviously Welbz going is comical, but you find me another player than can score with his arse, his armpit, his cock or any other part of the body that you really shouldn't score with.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The Maestro said:

Sessegnon has looked good in the Championship and knackered as hell for the last month or so.

Didn't see the 2nd leg of the play offs then? Or the other number of games in the run in where he's consistently been the second best player in the league?

Oh and he'll be 20 at the next tourney, not still in his teens.

I think Southgate has bottled it in a number of areas. And it doesn't bode well for the tactics he's going to employ in the World Cup.

One of the main reasons England managers are chosen is because they will bottle it in picking squads and in the tactics they use. Same old, same old. A win and a draw in the first two games, scrape through then go out. 

Does Southgate think people will think he is ruthless not picking Jack Wilshire?

Worst squad on paper i have ever seen.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Porkchopcash said:

Worst squad on paper i have ever seen.

That's probably fair, but this squad was always going to be the worst of our lifetime regardless of who is picked. It's reflective of the talent pool available.

• Paid Members

Cahill deserves his place for his versatility alone, PunkStep. After all, he possesses the magical qualities that means he can be trusted by his club manager to play at right, middle and left CB equally well, unlike Luiz and Christensen who MUST only ever play in the middle and Rudiger, who MUST only ever play on the right or the left.

Archived