General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stockton Town are going to Wembley! They beat Marske United 4-3 on aggregate in front of a sell out 1,800 crowd and there must have been another 200 at different vantage points around the ground. 

Unfortunately I can't be at the Vase final as my mate has rudely booked his stag weekend on the same day, so I will be finding a bar in Glasgow to follow The Anchors. 

Congratulations to Thatcham for also making it to the final. 

I saw that advertised the other day and have since forgotten all about it so thanks for the reminder.

Italian football in the 90s was the best - pure fantasy football. I recently did a little tour of Italian grounds in Northern Italy so I'm very much in the mood for this kind of content. 

• Paid Members

There's been some good football related documentaries on this last year. There was one about just before the Premiership started. ITV making use of their Division 1 coverage, and that was pretty good.

The other, was called "Stuck On You", talking about the history of footy stickers. What was interesting was there was a section about the WWF, who saved the Sticker company. They even played the old WWF WrestleMania (90-92) theme during that segment. Really good piece highlighting how big the WWF was at the time.

• Paid Members

Thanks for clearing that up Ian. Like you, I always believed that to be the case as a kid (also because of Gazza) and was bitterly disappointed when I was told it was Golazzoooo.

To save a double-post, UEFA have made some interesting rule changes to the Champions League and Europa League effective next season.

Firstly, players can now play for two clubs in the competition- after the new squads are submitted in January after the group stages. I wonder why PHILLIPE they decided COUTINHO to suddenly BARCELONA change this rule?

Secondly, a fourth sub will be allowed during extra time of the knockout stages. Which competition has already introduced that over here? It's either the FA Cup or the League Cup isn't it? I'm sure it's the former, I seem to remember it happening during the City/Arsenal semi-final last season.

Also a total of 12 subs can be named for the final, rather than 7. It wouldn't surprise me to see this become more commonplace over time.

Also, they're introducing those poxy 5:55pm kick-offs for the Champions League- two fixtures each Tue & Wed during the group stages and round of 16. Urgh.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

James Richardson revealed on the 90s football podcast that the intro actually did say "Go Lazio", because of Gazza was the original presented. Always thought it was that as a kid but they always said that wasn't the case.

He's wrong.

It was Jose Altafini's iconic shout of Goalaço from Italian commentary. Not sure if it was a direct sample of Altafini or reworked by the production company.

That shout is as synonymous with Italian footie as Coleman shouting 'One Nil' was to English football.

The fact the words came up on the screen as it was said is sort of the give away.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

He's wrong.

It was Jose Altafini's iconic shout of Goalaço from Italian commentary. Not sure if it was a direct sample of Altafini or reworked by the production company.

That shout is as synonymous with Italian footie as Coleman shouting 'One Nil' was to English football.

He references that. He said it isnt Altafini. It's just some English bloke (Steven Deberry) from Channel 4 doing an impression of him, thinking it's "Go Lazio."

Archived