General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

I wonder how Pochettino would do at Man U. He's not won anything, it's a massive job, and he's used to teams with a much lesser budget but he's clearly a great young manager who has worked wonders with young talent.

He's the one I'm borderline on. Klopp and Guardiola wouldn't take it. Wenger could handle it but is past it. Poch might leave Spurs, I'm not sure. Whether he'd work at united, I don't know. I think the way he plays and his attitude to young players jives with their philosophy (sorry, naughty word) but he's not won anything and doesn't handle massive players on out of control salaries.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Poch would be sacked at United before he has the chance to turn Borthwick-Jackson and Tuanzebe into the best full-backs in the league. He'd need time to develop them into the team he wants, and I'm not sure time is something managers at United will have anymore. With the money being spent, I think success is demanded quicker there.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Poch would be sacked at United before he has the chance to turn Borthwick-Jackson and Tuanzebe into the best full-backs in the league. He'd need time to develop them into the team he wants, and I'm not sure time is something managers at United will have anymore. With the money being spent, I think success is demanded quicker there.

Yeah, exactly this. Which is the exact reason I don't see why everyone would think he'd jump at the Madrid job right now. I'm sure he'd love to manage them at some point, but does it make sense to go somewhere where he knows they'll turf him out the first year he wins nothing? And as far as United goes, it's moot with Poch anyway as I don't see him managing another British club. If he's leaving Spurs, it's to a top continental club.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

but does it make sense to go somewhere where he knows they'll turf him out the first year he wins nothing?

Well that said I suppose that'll be the case wherever he goes. The next club he goes to will have to be a step-up from Spurs (otherwise, why bother?), and all clubs on that level expect silverware every season without fail.

It works both ways though. If Poch doesn't achieve at Spurs (by that I mean trophies) then he could quite easily never get a chance at a super club. 

Speaking of which the FA Cup draw is interesting. You have Jose trying to salvage something from this season, Poch and Spurs chasing a trophy that they hope will help them push onto the next level and Conte's Chelsea who lost last year and haven't been firing on all cylinders this season. Throw in a possible Jose vs Conte or Spurs/Chelsea final and it makes for great viewing.

I don't think United would hire Poch and not expect to give him time. He'd obviously have to make a better fist of it than Moyes bit if they were to hire him they'd know that it was as part of a longer term project.

For that very reason I don't think they will though. They have tried throwing shed loads of cash at it with one of the biggest coaches in the world for too long to take a step back and change strategies. They'll just Real Madrid it until Ancelotti or whoever gets it right. It should totally be Ancelotti though, he's made eyes at Liverpool and even Spurs in recent years so must really want to work here again.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

It works both ways though. If Poch doesn't achieve at Spurs (by that I mean trophies) then he could quite easily never get a chance at a super club. 

Speaking of which the FA Cup draw is interesting. You have Jose trying to salvage something from this season, Poch and Spurs chasing a trophy that they hope will help them push onto the next level and Conte's Chelsea who lost last year and haven't been firing on all cylinders this season. Throw in a possible Jose vs Conte or Spurs/Chelsea final and it makes for great viewing.

Spurs are (or should be) favorites for the FA Cup. A semi-final and then, potentially, a final at Wembley where we've only lost to I believe Chelsea and Juventus all season (possibly West Ham as well, in the League Cup I think, I can't remember), we really will never have a better chance. Which of course means United will bounce us out.

• Paid Members

That's fucking brilliant. Have you read all of his book? If it's more of the same I'm definitely getting it.

Where I grew up, Gazza was our local (adopted) hero. He moved to our town when he joined Spurghs and EVERYONE from there has a Gazza story. I only saw him once, he was on a massive motor trike thing with his kid on the back (Regan?) and pulled up at BP to fill it up with petrol. First thing he did as he got off - in the middle of the petrol forecourt - was spark up a cigarette. Never was great when it came to common sense.

A girl in my class worked at his kids' school for work experience, and he turned up for some assembly performance or something or another. At the end, the teacher hosting welcomed Gazza to the school and they played Vindaloo, as Gazza strolled to the front of the school hall with his shirt pulled up, slapping his belly to the beat as everyone looked on.

My dad used to service his car and said he was a miserable prick.

• Paid Members

Gazza was my first footballing hero. When I was 5, I had a cat called "Gazza." The first football I ever saw was with my brother and my Dad, and it was that Cameroon game at Italia 90. When I think of being a child, all I recall is that England shirt and the stick figure mascot on the coke cans. I dont know if there was ever a bigger English name than Paul Gascoigne in the early 90s. He was everywhere.

They recently did a documentary about Gazza and it wasnt very good. Just a collection of footage with Rooney, Lineker and Mourinho as talking heads. I thought it was a huge missed opportunity. Gazza has had loads of documentaries out over the years, and they've always been more interesting. The one from 1996 was incredible. Following him around during his first year at Rangers. He just cant help himself winding people up.

• Paid Members

I couldn't tell you for sure the first footballer I knew of, but it was probably either Gazza or Maradona. Like you say Ian, Gazza was everywhere from 1990 onwards. I got into wrestling just before football, and I thought the hand of god was Maradona's special move.

Italia 90 definitely made a fan out of me. Although I don't remember actually sitting down and watching a game, I got caught up in the hype (and the hype was fucking massive) and vividly remember things like Gazza crying, Roger Milla dancing, Waddle blasting it and John Barnes rapping. After that I started to get into football and followed my dad and brother with my choice of team- Lee Dixon was my first favourite footballer because I liked his haircut.

15 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I dont give a fuck about wins or loses and all that shite

Don't want to come across all "Proper fan" but this is such a prawn sandwich comment.  How on earth could you not care about results?  It's not entertainment, it's sport.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Don't want to come across all "Proper fan" but this is such a prawn sandwich comment.  How on earth could you not care about results?  It's not entertainment, it's sport.

Never said I don't care about results in general. I care about the long term. Individual results mean fuck all if you end up losing your best players because the coach who won't be there in 18 months doesn't fancy them.

28 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Never said I don't care about results in general. I care about the long term. Individual results mean fuck all if you end up losing your best players because the coach who won't be there in 18 months doesn't fancy them.

Individual results is what wins trophies though.  And is this day and age the coach most likely won't be there in 18 months.  But then, yeah, they can buy him back for 50 mill more than they sold him for.  Not aimed at you, but the casual attitude towards results seems prevalent in "Out of town" fans of the big clubs.

Archived