The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

"You always feel the need to act the man though"

I'm not hard, Butch.

And "Stay in your lane" is a Mayweather quote from a few weeks back - I was suggesting that if you hate this fight so much, maybe stop posting in the thread. Stick to threads you do enjoy. Not a fair suggestion?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I realise Ireland is unique because it's McGregor, but at the gym this morning after a class, everyone was talking about the fight - and they're all ordering it. Even random women who have no interest in MMA or boxing - they're all buying the PPV and they all think Conor is gonna win.

Anecdotal evidence of course, but this fight has certainly seeped into the general public. Even my 74 year old Dad asked me about it. They've sold this thing very well.

I know we're in a bubble on here and watching all of the analyses & breakdowns & behind the scenes, etc - and we're also more aware when something is a work or we're being sold an embellished story or narrative (Floyd not training hard, etc). But to the general public, it's worked like a charm. This fight is gonna be HUGE.

The only problem is, I'm in a bubble by being in Ireland. How big is it in the UK? And the US? Because a population our size at €24.95 isn't gonna count for much in the grand scheme.

6 minutes ago, herbie747 said:

I realise Ireland is unique because it's McGregor, but at the gym this morning after a class, everyone was talking about the fight - and they're all ordering it. Even random women who have no interest in MMA or boxing - they're all buying the PPV and they all think Conor is gonna win.

Anecdotal evidence of course, but this fight has certainly seeped into the general public. Even my 74 year old Dad asked me about it. They've sold this thing very well.

I know we're in a bubble on here and watching all of the analyses & breakdowns & behind the scenes, etc - and we're also more aware when something is a work or we're being sold an embellished story or narrative (Floyd not training hard, etc). But to the general public, it's worked like a charm. This fight is gonna be HUGE.

The only problem is, I'm in a bubble by being in Ireland. How big is it in the UK? And the US? Because a population our size at €24.95 isn't gonna count for much in the grand scheme.

Difficult to tell here - Myself and friends sit right around their key demo  16 -30 year old males, lot's of friends have interest in it, but most don't think McGregor's got much of a chance and are purely watching on the off-chance he does the impossible. That said I'm gonna have a house full Saturday night. So I think it's almost quietly seeped into the public eye here, by Saturday you won't be able to escape it.

To be honest, I think a lot of people know it's happening, but not many of them are gonna stay up until the wee hours and pay £20 for the pleasure of doing so, unfortunately. I think it'll be the usual boxing/MMA fans who pay for the event.

• Paid Members

ive had a random girl in work book an emergency holiday for it, she clearly doesn't know who either man is. My girlfriend even wants to watch based off seeing things in her facebook feed and she hasn't got a clue. Based off random chatter i imagine this thing is gonna be huge. Local pubs are opening all night and putting nights on with food for it too.

Ain't sold it to my dad though, he told me i was an idiot for paying for it 😂

17 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Man, they just agreed to bury the hatchet! Let's not re-open the fight, let's just get back to regular discussion.

Yeah my bad apologies haha

Regarding the fight, I cant wait, still cant believe its actually happening this weekend. Come round so quick seems like like only last week I was at the London presser now and here we are! Fight week is here!

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's really hard to gauge. There's never been anything like this.

Everyone has heard about it - he only question is whether or not they'll buy it. MMA fans will. Boxing fans may not. But the general public is key with huge buyrates.

Archived