The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its fucking fight week! 

Anyone know when the final presser is? Hopefully it will provide some sparks.  Both men are promoting this fight, plus their promoters, so you would hope they'll have us eating out of their hands by the weigh ins. 

What would happen if either man missed weight? When are weigh ins? 

I'm so excited I'm just babbling out bit by bit. 

• Paid Members

Has there been any info released about training partners that Mayweather has used? It seems odd to me that he wouldn't at least try to spar with a few fighters that move a bit like Connor does. He's not going to get that from any boxer, is he?

4 hours ago, Chunk said:

Has there been any info released about training partners that Mayweather has used? It seems odd to me that he wouldn't at least try to spar with a few fighters that move a bit like Connor does. He's not going to get that from any boxer, is he?

As Jeff Mayweather said, there isn't much that Floyd hasn't seen. Will Conor be awkward? Sure. Is he somehow this unique, never before seen type of fighter? Nah.

I think a lot of people are putting too much into this "awkward style" that McGregor will have. There's only so many ways a man can box, and I'd reckon that Floyd has seen them all in his time.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, David said:

As Jeff Mayweather said, there isn't much that Floyd hasn't seen. Will Conor be awkward? Sure. Is he somehow this unique, never before seen type of fighter? Nah.

I think a lot of people are putting too much into this "awkward style" that McGregor will have. There's only so many ways a man can box, and I'd reckon that Floyd has seen them all in his time.

Exactly. Furthermore, there's a reason why boxing has developed the way it has over its existence; it's been demonstrated to be the most effective way of fighting within a boxing ring. Some will look at Conor's style as "awkward", others will just see it as "bad boxing". Either way, it's not likely to give one of the best boxers of all time too much of a headache for him to deal with. At best, it might throw him for a few rounds. If MMA training had turned out to be so effective as a means of preparing fighters as boxers, we'd have seen a sea-change in the way boxing is taught and fought, not to mention a lot more cross-over from MMA to boxing at the elite level, and vice versa.

• Paid Members

Shit maths stats I calculated.

I went through the records of Mayweather's opponents of the past five years or so and found the ones with the lower punches-landed-per-round rate against him (as it seems unlikely McGregor would exceed this). I then applied this rate to the average number of strikes it takes McGregor to get a knockout (including strikes in bouts he loses or go the distance).

That gives the result that statistically McGregor would land a KO punch in round 10. Which would be great except that Mayweather on average stops opponents in round 8.

• Paid Members

Does anyone know if the UFC are running their own Embedded series over the course of this week? 

Edit: John that's some very interesting stat work, nice job. Is that based on punches only from McGregor, or all forms of strikes thrown that are allowed in MMA?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, JNLister said:

Shit maths stats I calculated.

I went through the records of Mayweather's opponents of the past five years or so and found the ones with the lower punches-landed-per-round rate against him (as it seems unlikely McGregor would exceed this). I then applied this rate to the average number of strikes it takes McGregor to get a knockout (including strikes in bouts he loses or go the distance).

That gives the result that statistically McGregor would land a KO punch in round 10. Which would be great except that Mayweather on average stops opponents in round 8.

That's genuinely some really intriguing stuff there, Lister, but I think the real value in them won't be so much the conclusions you draw from them as is, but whether or not the fact that McGregor's boxing training will skew them at all, and if so, to what degree. After all, those figures are largely based on his MMA training and fighting, and obviously this time around he'll be doing things very differently.

This isn't to say anything will change in any significant manner - he'll still most likely be beaten and have the same chances of winning - but it'll make fore some interesting reading as to how well he shifted his training focus and conditions.

EDIT: Ah, who am I trying to kid? It'll be impossible to read anything before or after into it. The conditions are completely different, the style, the training, the boxing gloves, the quality/type of opponent, etc. Still, it is fun to mess around with stats, so kudos for making the effort.

• Paid Members

Don't know for sure, but I'd expect Dana White to do a vlog again. Particularly if there is a press conference coming up between the pair.

Anyway, McGregor and Mayweather have both done a tremendous job talking me into this. Such is the buzz, all sorts of randoms are bringing it up to me and, for the most part, see McGregor getting the KO. Wild.

Archived